The Process Forum

The Process Forum (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transgender Process (M2F / F2M) (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   It Figures(TG, SW, BE, Clothing, Inanimate, Mental) (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9351)

Mysticguy 12-17-2007 09:37 AM

It Figures(TG, SW, BE, Clothing, Inanimate, Mental)

15 Attachment(s)
Aakashi has just finished up a couple of TG sequences, and here's the big one! We'd like to hear some thoughts!

Very_Good_Karma 12-17-2007 11:32 AM

I like this! The art is okay, and carries the story, but this is the first original transformation plot I've seen in years. Other pluses:

- The characterizing bit at the beginning really helped the story hold together, and was even a little funny.

- Lots of process, duh. The whole point of coming here.

- While characters narrating their own transformation can get really awkward, the blow-by-blow here is handled well and adds to rather than subtracts from the comic.

- The big third panel on page 10 sets up the last act of the story very well and gives a nice sense of the passage of time.

- A character who intentionally seeks out a transformation rather than just being a prop.

- Happy Ending! Woo!

Some things you might want to improve on:

- The faces. In some panels, they have been drawn waaay too hastily. I understand that this is a loose drawing style, but there is a level of distortion which just looks bad. The first panels of pages 10 and 12 are major offenders.

- Eye style. The characters' pupils come and go; it seems to be attempting to convey a wink sometimes, but other times it's not clear what it means. The all-white eyes came off as a little creepy in some panels. I'd recommend working on a wider range of expressions, especially a proper wink, and making pupils consistent unless it's associated with a complete character style-shift such as chibi.

I really enjoyed seeing this, and thank you for posting it on The Process!

bacattack 12-17-2007 12:00 PM

This one was close to being beyond awesome, While I've never been comfortable with how the artist draws eyes that's a matter of personal preference, not a comment on the quality of the art.

I like that the artist tried to give it a sense of story and character. That's something most of these TFs lack, and it's a nice change from the norm.

I-Dig-Hot-Chicks 12-17-2007 03:46 PM

Hehehe! That was funny!

Ran 12-17-2007 03:52 PM

Aah, I check the ~akuoreo deviantart fairly often. The style is distinctive, I like it. This one is quite good. She's done better ones, but it's up there.

TroyXavier 12-17-2007 04:46 PM

Overall nice but I definitely agree with the eye thing......it's like they're not even attached to the body in some panels.

dokhidamo 12-17-2007 06:54 PM

I tried the deviant page someone posted above and I couldn't find anything. Anyone have a link to a site with more of this on it?

gruegirl 12-17-2007 07:15 PM

It's very nice, I tend to like Akashi's style, particularly his stuff with Legion.

Vengeance1701 12-17-2007 07:29 PM

Grue, I'm fairly certain Akashi is a girl. Near 100 percent certain;)

Mysticguy 12-17-2007 08:48 PM

Yes, she is a girl. Once we have a camera, I shall attempt to capture her image and prove it.

TroyXavier 12-17-2007 08:57 PM

I have no problems believing it. Just wish she'd draw her guys a little more masculine. Her girls are very nice though.

ToboR 12-17-2007 09:15 PM

What a very entertaining series of transformations throughout! The only real complaint I have is that the "narrative" of the victim gets to be a little much sometimes. Of course, when there's largely only one person there, it's also pretty boring to not hear what they're thinking, either.

dreams 12-18-2007 12:48 AM

nice work, I like it

lampy 12-18-2007 06:19 PM

I never liked the Artists art, but this is one of the best processes for this forum of the year. After half-way art is rushed.

Vengeance1701 12-18-2007 07:25 PM

So....is that a compliment or an insult? Not quite clear, lampy.

lampy 12-19-2007 08:35 AM

Compliment mostly, but criticism, nonetheless. I'm not sure were you see it as an insult. Critique and opinion are far away from insults as you can get.

Mysticguy 12-19-2007 09:01 AM

Generally, critique offers insight as to how the art could be done better.

Mitchell 12-19-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Very_Good_Karma (Post 128404)
I like this! The art is okay, and carries the story, but this is the first original transformation plot I've seen in years. Other pluses:

- The characterizing bit at the beginning really helped the story hold together, and was even a little funny.

- Lots of process, duh. The whole point of coming here.

- While characters narrating their own transformation can get really awkward, the blow-by-blow here is handled well and adds to rather than subtracts from the comic.

- The big third panel on page 10 sets up the last act of the story very well and gives a nice sense of the passage of time.

- A character who intentionally seeks out a transformation rather than just being a prop.

- Happy Ending! Woo!

Some things you might want to improve on:

- The faces. In some panels, they have been drawn waaay too hastily. I understand that this is a loose drawing style, but there is a level of distortion which just looks bad. The first panels of pages 10 and 12 are major offenders.

- Eye style. The characters' pupils come and go; it seems to be attempting to convey a wink sometimes, but other times it's not clear what it means. The all-white eyes came off as a little creepy in some panels. I'd recommend working on a wider range of expressions, especially a proper wink, and making pupils consistent unless it's associated with a complete character style-shift such as chibi.

I really enjoyed seeing this, and thank you for posting it on The Process!

Just bumping this...It's a well-done critique. I like the sequence, but it seems a lot of people dislike the eyes. And not so much in this one, but definitely with Sam...Something seems off when Aakashi draws guys besides Wraith. They look too cute.

Vengeance1701 12-19-2007 10:31 AM

Yeah, Karma did a great job. If only more people decided that when they didn't like something that they would couch it in constructive terms, we'd all be better off here.