The Process Forum

The Process Forum (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/index.php)
-   Shrinking Process (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Inch by Inch (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43863)

Doll-Elf 03-09-2018 02:45 PM

Inch by Inch

For years you have asked for a way to really feel the inches slip off, well, now you can in first person! Despite it saying inches, the whole thing is done in CM and it's a game about running around the lab as you shrink, trying to make the cure before it's too late. The shrinking is visually pretty good but there is no third person, letting you think it is male or female. There is no clothes seen so that's a bummer but it is a full process game.

https://dare-looks.itch.io/inch-by-inch

I have personally played it and I enjoyed it, here is hoping the maker makes more.

Prof_Sai 03-09-2018 07:29 PM

Re: Inch by Inch

Ooooh!

OhZone 03-09-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof_Sai (Post 806959)
Ooooh!

You called? ;)

Edit: What if I don't want to stop shrinking?

Doll-Elf 03-09-2018 09:27 PM

don't make antidote

OhZone 03-09-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doll-Elf (Post 806964)
don't make antidote

mmmmmm hmmmmm

I didn't. It was pretty hott shrinking cm by cm. But it didn't let me go micro. :(

Captain Ash 03-10-2018 06:17 AM

This game looks really neat.
I want to try it, but for some reason the Download-Button disobeys me.

Is there another way to download it?

Greetings
Captain Ash

Doll-Elf 03-10-2018 08:34 AM

As far as I know, no, Ash. And no, it does not let you go micro, you weird person. At the time the game thinks you cannot possibly move the antidote and get up to it, the game thinks you are small enough. Besides, it's a very simple looking game and the graphics are super plain, nothing would be properly visible at that point.

OhZone 03-10-2018 08:55 AM

Micro is when I really go crazy.

Yeah, I understand. But I loved shrinking small enough to fit under the cabinet and then go comparing myself to the wheels on the chair. Oh Gawd.

Captain ( ** salutes **), maybe I could email it to you?

Bantlebroth 03-11-2018 02:15 PM

Yes I am, Lucis. Thanks for asking.

Prof_Sai 03-11-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bantlebroth (Post 807086)
Yes I am, Lucis. Thanks for asking.

You're welcome Lucis.

Bantlebroth 03-11-2018 08:07 PM

Tut tut. Watch where I put my comma.

Mysterious things, those commas...

shrinky428 03-11-2018 08:58 PM

The game is called Inch By Inch, but it measures you in centimeters.

Twilight_Roxas 03-11-2018 11:10 PM

It looks cool. Wish the creator of Inch by Inch could add a patch that could let the player choose the option to change centimeters to inches.

Prof_Sai 03-12-2018 12:26 AM

He did. There is an update, but the main buttons don't take you to it.

Prof_Sai 03-12-2018 02:08 AM

Bah! I keep not-finding one of the ingredients. Is there some hiding place I have missed?

Also, it is rather clumsy: Why do you use one mouse button for some things and the other for others? It seems random.

LevelXProject 03-12-2018 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody!

My name is Lucis (aka LevelXProject) - DareLooks and I developed Inch by Inch together and we're really happy to hear that you like it! :) We are thankful for any kind of feedback you can give us. The game is still in developement and we plan to release new features in the future! (And of course we are always open for suggestions) Regarding the confusion where you can find the newest version of our game - this download link should get you directly to it! https://dare-looks.itch.io/inch-by-inch#download

http://www.process-productions.com/f...1&d=1520871366

The Prototype-Version is our first, unchanged version of the game for the Game Jam we created it for, so in order to get the newest you need to download one of the first three on top of the list!

@ Prof_Sai
Most are hidden in the obvious spots, but there are a few hidden in higher spots which you can overlook easily at first glance! Also the functions of the mouse buttons are all other than random - LMB is for interacting with an object and RMB is for holding/transporting etc. Hope this helps! :)

@ Twilight_Roxas and shrinky
We hope you are happy with the newest version and the option to switch to imperial!

@ Bantlebroth
It seems like you found my little easteregg I hid in the level! ;) I'm glad you are enjoying the game. I must admit I was really confused and overlooked that comma as well when I first read your post!

@ The Governor
Thank you a lot for cutting my probation time, so that I could reach out to all the people here! :)

Kind regards,
Lucis

Bantlebroth 03-12-2018 09:39 AM

:)

OhZone 03-12-2018 10:05 AM

Ooooh, Well, thank you for adding imperial. That will be good for us folks in the colonies. Now if you could just let me shrink to nothing besides a piece of dust, I'd be so orgasmic. I mean thankful! Ha

Case Scenario 03-12-2018 10:40 AM

Fascinating game, though I'm having a bit of trouble playing it on my Mac. The frame rate is really slow, the text went at a crawl, though I guess that's a problem on my end. I adjusted the resolution way down. The real problem I ran into was when I was asked to right click and hold. Because... y'know. The Mac mouse doesn't have two buttons. I tried pressing control, but that doesn't seem to help.

Prof_Sai 03-12-2018 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by levelxproject (Post 807142)
hello everybody!

My name is lucis (aka levelxproject)

:: Big hugs! ::

Quote:

Originally Posted by Case Scenario (Post 807145)
Fascinating game, though I'm having a bit of trouble playing it on my Mac.

Not so bad on my mac. I have a core I7, but it is 4 years old. You can get a two button mouse for $10 - there is no problem with having more than one mouse attached.

Edit: Ah ha! First win!

mtshrink 03-12-2018 12:33 PM

Awesome game it reminds me of an escape room. Super cool. If I could add my suggestions here I would love to see VR support in the future. And maybe a voice for the character. I'm not saying voice the lines but more grunts and ummphs as you jump and pick stuff up. Keep up the great work!!

Prof_Sai 03-12-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtshrink (Post 807150)
I'm not saying voice the lines but more grunts and ummphs as you jump and pick stuff up. Keep up the great work!!

That would still risk making the character less "You", since it would likely be some male's voice. If her voice got higher pitched as the game went on (and the footsteps got faster) it would be cool though.

mtshrink 03-12-2018 03:43 PM

Well not saying it's easy but you could always add both. Or have the option to turn it off if you'd rather not hear anything. Nothing wrong with options :)

OhZone 03-12-2018 04:40 PM

The only way to win the game is to lose. Ha

Well, for me anyway. :P

Prof_Sai 03-12-2018 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or to come within this close of losing!

If you set the difficulty to "Custom" you can set the minimum size to .39 inches.

OhZone 03-13-2018 03:23 AM

^ OhYeah.

Jaran 03-13-2018 11:12 AM

Is there any way to reduce the blur when looking from side to side? Borderline makes me nauseous.

LevelXProject 03-13-2018 11:27 AM

Hello again!

Thank you a lot for your nice responses and feedback!

@ CaseSzenario
Without wanting to be rude - I would recommend the same as Prof_Sai did: Buying a normal mouse. I can also recommend turning the PostFX in the settings off if you're having trouble with the graphics and framerate.

@ Jaran
This also applies to you! Perhaps we will add a function to turn off the Motion Blur exclusively, but for now to remove the Motion Blur you can disable the PostFX in the settings.

@ mtshrink
Indeed the room and idea is slightly based on a RL escape room DareLooks and I went through together some months ago. Both VR support and any kind of voice overs can be discussed, but it's rather unlikely to happen - at least in short- to mid-future developement.

OhZone 03-13-2018 07:14 PM

My Avast says the new one has a virus called idp.generic. Maybe it's a false positive.

Prof_Sai 03-13-2018 07:36 PM

Uh oh. Are their false positives with virus detection?

OhZone 03-13-2018 07:43 PM

Yes, there can be. The weird thing is that it only detected something while running. The game locked up. Windows said something about the color scheme. I used task manager to kill it, and Avast said I had to reboot to quarantine the threat.

I scanned my pc again with avast, malwarebytes, and another proggy. Then. I downloaded inch by inch again and scanned the zip. I unzipped it again and scanned all the files with three different scanners as above. They found nothing.

So either Avast is nuts or the inch by inch program somehow downloads or assembles the virus as it runs.

Anyway, now I'm too scared to run it again.

:(

Twilight_Roxas 03-13-2018 10:10 PM

wonder who on this forum would upload there take on this game on youtube?

Prof_Sai 03-14-2018 12:11 AM

Have people actually won this on "professor" difficulty? I can't do it on scientist yet. Yes, turning off postFX makes it run MUCH faster. Lowering the resolution doesn't do much on my Mac, I run it at 1440p

OhZone 03-14-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight_Roxas (Post 807242)
wonder who on this forum would upload there take on this game on youtube?

Not me, since the virus warning. I ain't playing it again.

LevelXProject 03-14-2018 10:26 AM

Hello everyone!

We just tested the game with our own antivirus software and also both the zip and the .exe file with Virustotal, which led to an almost flawless 1/59 rating (check it out yourself if you want!). False-positives aren't uncommon, but you really shouldn't play or execute any program you're not feeling comfortable with. The only thing I could think of as a cause of this right now is the mouse-capturing during the game, since this also fooled my own antivirus software some time ago with another program - I can't really imagine that something like this is happening with a Unity Game though.

We will definitely look into this issue if there are multiple people experiencing this issue, but so far you are the only one we heard of. Also itch.io would kick our ass big time and it would be really stupid of us linking or own twitter profiles in this game if there was really a virus in there - just saying :D

@ Prof_Sai
We thought about uploading some gameplay-videos (or at least some gifs) in general, maybe we'll also do a Professor run and upload it too! But I can say that DareLooks has already won this on Professor Difficulty! And I almost did as well - I just couldn't reach the antidote machine with the last key ingredient! >:o

OhZone 03-14-2018 10:40 AM

Thanks for checking. Maybe it's a behavioral thing. Does it try to adjust system settings, like screen resolution or colors? Cause it locked up, my system said something about switching color palet, AND THEN Avast flagged it as having a virus.

Captain Ash 03-14-2018 03:16 PM

This is a great game.
I like the shrinking effect if you suddenly realize that you nearly as big as the table.

The only thing I'd complain is the performance.
For a simple 3D setting, it seems to use a lot resources.
(Win7 64Bit, Intel i7, 8GB RAM, NVidea GeForce GTX 780)
My PC should be powerful enough without sounding like a hoover.
I think this can be optimized.

Like Oh-Zone it would be nice if the game wouldn't ask me about the color-scheme.

Honestly, I had more fun at losing than winning this game. :D
Keep up the great work!
And thank you for making this game!

Greetings
Captain Ash

Prof_Sai 03-14-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ash (Post 807271)
The only thing I'd complain is the performance.
For a simple 3D setting, it seems to use a lot resources.
(Win7 64Bit, Intel i7, 8GB RAM, NVidea GeForce GTX 780)

Funny, that's about the same as my iMac and I'm doing fine. (It's fan is never audible.) I do like it better without postFX. Try that.

========

In a way this game is a good illustration of why I don't like micro-sizes so much. A threat of becoming helpless is very compelling, but once you are there - nothing much really can happen, and if it does, you are irrelevant to it.

LevelXProject 03-15-2018 02:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Regarding the color-scheme: That seems to be a problem with Windows 7 and the way that the Unity Engine is rendering the so called exclusive fullscreen mode. Does it still happen when you switch to windowed mode? Also, the following may help you as a workaround: Start the game with the parameters "-window-mode borderless". You can do this by making a shortcut to the .exe file of the game and adding those parameters in the line "target". This should look similar to the following picture (just in english instead of german ;) )

http://www.process-productions.com/f...1&d=1521104304

@ Captain Ash
Regarding the specs of your PC: I literally have the same hardware configuration (intel i7, 8 Gigs of RAM, GTX 780) and mine runs quietly - the only difference seems the be the OS, or maybe the drivers. So far I can just recommend lowering the graphics quality, turning off PostFX and see if that helps! But we will look into optimization like Level of Detail etc in the future!

Janus Steel 03-15-2018 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhZone (Post 807260)
Not me, since the virus warning. I ain't playing it again.

I'm actually working on something like this.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get it so it doesn't happen so bloody quickly.

I'm also working on pitch. I devoted last night to working on it so that my voice would "shrink" while I was shrinking in the game.

It um... it wasn't pretty. :P

Twilight_Roxas 03-15-2018 08:38 AM

Interesting Janus.

Captain Ash 03-15-2018 01:24 PM

Starting it with "-window-mode borderless", I've tried it with both, postFX off and on.
Seems now to run smooth with both options.
But it is a bit faster with postFX off.

However, now the game works fine.
Thanks. ;)

@Janus Steel
Sounds interesting.
Maybe you can show us some screenshots. ;)

Greetings
Captain Ash

Janus Steel 03-16-2018 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ash (Post 807303)
@Janus Steel
Sounds interesting.
Maybe you can show us some screenshots. ;)

Greetings
Captain Ash

I'll see what I can do Cap'n :)

LevelXProject 03-18-2018 01:15 PM

Just a quick update on the game: We have now released a new version, including some small improvements, changes and bugfixes, as well as the new Heightscore, which lets you compare the height you have finished your runs with! We also included a 32bit Version for those of you who had a 32bit System.

For details check out our devlog at https://dare-looks.itch.io/inch-by-i...w-height-score

Have fun everyone! :)

OhZone 03-18-2018 04:45 PM

Ohhh! Looks good. Maybe I'll risk it.

Prof_Sai 03-18-2018 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I've got a bug report for you. How did I manage to stick the final Key into the microwave while standing on the desk with the antidote processor?

(Playing at scientist level. I haven't downloaded today's version yet.)

Twilight_Roxas 03-18-2018 05:01 PM

I won't be surprised if Markiplier played this, but his reaction would be priceless.

Prof_Sai 03-18-2018 06:41 PM

Ka ching! :)

Twilight_Roxas 03-18-2018 07:46 PM

He already did?

Bantlebroth 03-18-2018 10:35 PM

Thanks for hosting. : D

Alright, so I actually do have a few small suggestions. Ha. See what I did there?

What I would love to see implemented in a future release is some form of an "extreme" setting, whether by easter egg code or what have you, that allows for a free-roam no-time-limit game.

Perhaps putting the baseline of the game so that the smallest you could go isn't 1.0 endHeight for 1cm, but instead 0.000~001 endHeight to approximate 0cm. Basically, if I fall off a test tube container, I'd like it to take 10 minutes to reach its base. Yeah, that small.

I really enjoyed the left-side scale in the first version release, how it took up the entirety of the left side. It allowed a good view of juuuust how much distance was between the milestone markers. Having it cramped in the top-left corner is nice and gamery, but loses that sense of just how much reduction has occurred.

One final suggestion is to put in tiny ladders for the top of the locker and shelves for the <10cm player.

But, that's all these are: suggestions. If you don't do any of these, I'll still be just as happy that you made the game at all. I really appreciate it and I'm having a blast playing through the actual potion part of the game properly, as well as my own datahacks for super-custom gameplay.

Thank you for making this game. It's very, very fun. :)

OhZone 03-19-2018 09:53 AM

^ I like how you think.

Prof_Sai 03-19-2018 10:43 PM

I paid $10 so now my suggestions matter. :)

It would be such a shock if you got near the end, thinking you were doing well, and suddenly saw that exit door open!

Doll-Elf 03-20-2018 08:03 AM

And now the micros come out in droves, demanding the improbable.

Bantlebroth 03-20-2018 10:09 AM

I don't know that three makes droves, or that one can demand the improbable. But sure, why not.

Personally, I'm having a blast.

I have my startHeight at 1.000001; my shrinkSpeed is at 0.000000000000058; my endHeight is at 0.0009; and I can flip boxes and trash cans by "Skyrim"ing up their corners to allow higher perches. I've found easter eggs and tested boundaries.

If this is the final product and the developers sever any further connections, I'll still be playing the game for years to come. It's that good, and it's that fun.

But sure, why not. Droves demanding the improbable!! DROVES I SAY!!!

Doll-Elf 03-20-2018 10:28 AM

It's a very small drove.

OhZone 03-20-2018 12:53 PM

Mmmmmmm hmmmmmmm very small. Ha. Good one.

I'm not demanding anything.

But it would be cool if someone took this engine, program, whatever, and just made it for shrinking as tiny as. Possible. Maybe crawling over a sleeping giantess who started out shorter than you. Oh the possibilities.

But I thank the creators for their work.

Blood-Line 03-20-2018 07:20 PM

i already found a Easter egg / secret message .

Prof_Sai 03-20-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood-Line (Post 807556)

Gasp!

Prof_Sai 03-22-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood-Line (Post 807556)

TELL US TELL US TELL US! (Hints please?)

I can now usually win on scientist level, so that goes on my resume.

Blood-Line 03-22-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof_Sai (Post 807656)
TELL US TELL US TELL US! (Hints please?)

I can now usually win on scientist level, so that goes on my resume.

A mouse can find it easy.