The Process Forum

The Process Forum (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Inflation and Expansion (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Pixel Rena Inflate (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8923)

erolunai 11-12-2007 03:15 AM

Pixel Rena Inflate

2 Attachment(s)
I've only recently been making an effort to draw, making some with mspaint as well...

I tried making a Renamon inflation as practice for a related flash game I'm designing, if anybody has any advice or constructive criticism, I would be grateful.

ToboR 11-12-2007 06:15 AM

The pixel images you have are looking great! Do these show the ultimate extent of how large she'll get?

shadow 11-12-2007 07:58 AM

It needs a bit of work, but considering that it's in pixels, and probably drawn with the limited tools most pixel art programs(excluding photoshop, because it sucks), it's rather good.

Khaaan 11-12-2007 12:49 PM

I'm curious about this flash game you mentioned. What's it going to be about?

erolunai 11-12-2007 03:55 PM

ToboR: Not necessarily, considering the nature of the game, the game overs require Renamon to be captured, transformed, or inflated beyond mobility.

Shadow: (I had a feeling you would be one of the first to respond), thank you, I had a feeling it could've used some changes,
for the first non-inflated drawing, I used some screenshots to help me get the figure drawn, with the second, actually trying to modify it, it was more difficult and I could tell I have more practicing to do...

Khaaan: Basically, Renamon wakes up in an odd building filled with various inflation-related traps and enemies.
What I have planned is:
19 Main rooms
1 Tutorial room
9 Ending rooms
7 traps
3 enemy types
9 bosses
19 different ways to "lose", including several types of expansion (wg, preg, liquid, air, etc.)
However, I don't plan on getting it completed any time soon, as there is a lot to do to create it, and it needs a lot of graphics and code to finish...

TB Tabby 11-12-2007 04:06 PM

Aww, you mean I have to AVOID inflations? Darn. My dream of a Process-themed game in the vein of Wario Land 3 remains a dream.

F_Shogun 11-12-2007 04:07 PM

Hey, Renamon is always cool. I'm patient, so I can wait to see the final product. :)

erolunai 11-12-2007 04:49 PM

TB Tabby: Well, I suppose you'll have to wait for the next game then :P
As for this one, You start out with 3 lives, so you don't have to go all the way through what you've already done to get to the next inflation, and 4 of the bosses are special, after beating them once you can choose to start at their rooms at any time afterwards, but you lose out on the bonus for defeating them.

shadow 11-12-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erolunai (Post 121067)
Shadow: (I had a feeling you would be one of the first to respond)

Woah, I'm known by a random first-time poster.

erolunai 11-12-2007 06:37 PM

Actually, I abandoned my lurker account, as I had only originally created it to stay in obscurity, but now that I'm actually contributing something, I felt I needed a good name, so I already know about you :P

shadow 11-12-2007 06:45 PM

Wow, I have a reputation.
And it's not one of evil and terror.

Neat.

erolunai 11-12-2007 07:27 PM

I suppose you could call it that...
but all I really know is that you frequent the body expansion category and that there is apparently several people who dislike you for some reason...

shadow 11-12-2007 07:32 PM

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why...

SoylentOrange 11-12-2007 07:59 PM

Always great to see new spritework. Even better in the service of a Process-oriented game- best of luck to you in finishing it! :D

erolunai 11-12-2007 08:43 PM

Thank you as well,
Spoiler:
I'm testing out some movement sprites now, using a sprite sheet of a samus and renamon screenshots as examples, hopefully I can get some sprites set out sometime soon, and hopefully it won't take as long as I thought it would...
One of the very first traps is a de-digivolution trap that triggers if a jump is missed, causing the new viximon to get inflated
Some of the traps are a lot more X-rated than others though, so I'm a little nervous about how to get those drawn...

erolunai 11-13-2007 03:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got another pixel attempt here, it was more difficult again, I didn't use as much of the example picture as a guidline this time.
The picture is scaled at 100% for the smallest, 200%, 400%, and 800%.
This would be the "stand" frame, at 100% it is a slight bit bigger than the sprite of samus from super metroid.

Khaaan 11-13-2007 12:27 PM

I have to say, that's a pretty good sprite for a first attempt.

My only issue with it is that the yellow colors you used could stand to be sliiiightly less pale and more yellow. Slightly. But that's just my opinion. Anyone else agree or disagree?

erolunai 11-13-2007 12:34 PM

I suppose so, I actually borrowed the main colours of a screenshot of renamon, but I guess the colours got altered during the conversion,
I'll try editing the colours to look more like the way she regularily appears.

erolunai 11-13-2007 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more colour considerations, how do these look?

Kagamaru 11-13-2007 05:49 PM

As a fellow spriter, I gotta say you're doing a good job on this :o

I'll say the second, kinda beige color.. but a little lighter, and a little more vivid in color.

Khaaan 11-13-2007 05:51 PM

Oops, I didn't realize that there were seven palettes, not four. I'm going with the fifth one. It's nice and bright, with a nicely defined outline.

erolunai 11-14-2007 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again everyone :D

I'm not exactly sure about your description, is #8 kind of like what you meant?

I'll number them this time to make it a bit more clear.
I haven't tried the walk animation yet though, and some of the legs look a little off, I might try re-doing them later...
Next is jumping and landing, then attacking, special interactions, and then on to the "special" sprites, rooms, code and music.

If things continue to go well, I'll try to get the "tutorial" level out at least before christmas.

SoylentOrange 11-14-2007 02:12 AM

5 is definitely the way to go, I'd say.

Keep up the good work, this looks promising. :)

The Other Dude 11-15-2007 04:52 AM

Hey now, this is pretty nice. Any news on how this is coming along at the moment?

erolunai 11-15-2007 05:13 AM

It's going a bit easier than I thought, while I was normally hesitant to most things artistic, I'm finding that I can visualize how I want the pictures and sprites to appear a little better.
Still trying to get at least one set of sprites done each night, depending on how hectic my life gets.
Currently working on the Renamon "normal" sprite set, about 10% done, but some of the sprites are easy to complete, only needing to change small parts to complete the desired effect.

The Other Dude 11-19-2007 11:43 PM

Any chance of an update on how things are going? It's been a few days and you haven't posted anything, so I figured I'd ask.

Khaaan 11-22-2007 02:41 AM

Hey erolunai, you doing all right? You haven't posted in a few days.

erolunai 11-22-2007 10:32 AM

It's been going okay, I've been very busy lately due to course work though...

I don't plan on posting here every day when I have nothing to contribute, when I get some more material I'll post it here to get some feedback, or when a portion of the game is done I'll give a link to it...
Thank you for asking though.

I'll see if I can get some animations completed, I tried animating the walk sprites, which turned out okay except for the tail which was moving way too fast...
Final exams are on the first weeks of december, I'll see if I can get some animations posted after those.

Khaaan 12-06-2007 09:09 PM

Hmm, it's been a couple'a weeks... and now it's the first week of December like you said. Hope your exams are going okay.

Khaaan 01-17-2008 12:19 AM

I hate to necrobump and doublepost, but... I was really looking forward to this. Is the project dead, or has the topic just not had its upkeep?

erolunai 01-17-2008 06:17 PM

I'm still working on it, but it's taking a lot more time to complete, along with the other things such as schoolwork and my job that I need to work at, it's honestly going to take a long time still...

If you're really that interested, I suppose I can start posting updates every so often on my furaffinity page, I just don't want to get anybody upset over the amount of time that it would take coupled with small spoilers every so often...

SoylentOrange 01-17-2008 06:40 PM

Progress is progress. Better to see a little fairly often then nothing for months and months before a big art dump.

Khaaan 01-17-2008 09:09 PM

I agree with what SoylentOrange said. Small updates every now and then would at least assure people that the project is still being worked on.

erolunai 01-18-2008 06:23 PM

Alright, that does sound better...
I can't honestly remember what I was doing, I should have been updating like you said...

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/283411/

I'll try to get something to add soon as well