free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Carnival of Dreams (Incomplete)
View Single Post
Unread 01-07-2009   #6
Hugo Prosperio
Mansion Moderator

Re: Story: Carnival of Dreams

Alrighty, here is chapter two. Still working my way into the story, but the real action should begin in the next chapter, I think.

Chapter Two: The Night Before?

Mr. Nero closed the door as Charlie Denton left the trailer, and he returned to the cage sitting on the table. Smiling, he leaned down and looked inside.

?Miss Abner? he said to the oldest girl??Please unlock the shackles on our shaken friend?

She stood up and produced a tiny key from her pocket. Marlene couldn?t believe it. She had the key all this time, and yet there she stood, shackled just the same. Ms. Abner, as he had called her, walked over and unlocked the metal shackles and helped Marlene up. Nero then unlocked the door, and smiled again.

?Now, Now, Ms. Jessup,? he said laughing a bit ?If I remember correctly, you weren?t this shy when we first met.?

Marlene tried her best to think back. When had she met this man, what had happened? She couldn?t remember a thing, except finding herself in that cold dark cage, and then finding out that she was the prisoner of a giant. ?Who are you?? was all she could muster.

?Ah, yes, you did hit your head quite hard?I am Mr. Nero, owner of Nero?s Carnival of the Future. Do you remember who you are?? he asked

?Of course. I am Marlene Jessup?but how did?where am I?? she asked.

?At my Carnival, as I said. You are now part of the act, as you so desired back when we first met. You dislike your new job, I take it?? he asked as she stared up at him.

?What do you mean?I didn?t want to join your stupid carnival?? she said?but did she mean it?when had she agreed to this strange deal, what had happened, why was she held captive by a giant?or worse, what he if wasn?t a giant at all, what if she was smaller. The thought mad her visibly shudder.

?You have many questions, I am sure, but now is not the time. Tonight, your partners will tell you all about your new role. Ms. Abner. Unshackle the other girls, and prepare dinner. Be sure to inform Ms. Jessup here on what she is expected to do tomorrow when we open.?

Marlene just gulped and walked back into the cage, which was more like an apartment it seemed, an apartment made with bars. It had a small couch, and tiny cooking supplies. It wasn?t as bad as she had thought, but it still wasn?t good.

-----

Laura sat on Kara?s bed and watched the television, which was blaring a movie they had rented. She was lost in thought, the carnival. Why was it so interesting to her, she thought. She had to see more, and she knew that she couldn?t wait until the following day when the gates would open, and she could satisfy her curiosity.

Kara on the other hand was worried for her friend. Her friend had seemed distant all day, distracted by something, a large looming something, that Kara couldn?t see. She got up and looked out the window, and she could see the work lights in the distance as they continued to set up the carnival. Kara then got an idea. A smile crossed her face, and she turned to Laura.

?Hey! You wanna go check it out?? she said.

?Check what out?? Laura said, knowing exactly what Kara meant, but trying to ignore it.

?The Carnival. Get a little sneak peak, if you know what I mean?? Kara said with a grin.

?But what if we get caught.? Laura said.

?So what, what?s the worst that could happen?? Kara asked as her grin grew wider.

Laura stared at her friends, while Kara just stood there, waiting for a response. It was clear she really wanted to go check things out, but Laura felt the original nagging feeling return to her stomach. What if that creepy man was there, what if he was angry with them, what if, what if?but soon, she couldn?t ignore the face her friend was making, and she caved.

?Kara?you?re devilish charm has won me over, once again? Laura said with a large amount of sarcasm ?Let?s go.?

-----

Laura didn?t know why she was doing what she was doing, skulking around in the dark, spying on a carnival, but she followed Kara who was excited to be doing some small town espionage. They hurried to the field and saw the giant tents before them, and rides as well, all waiting to be turned on. In the distance was a tent that promised Side Shows from around the world, and it even promised a Flea Circus. This seemed peculiar to Laura, because every one knew how a flea circus worked?it was just motorized miniature circus props that people were told were fleas on parade, but it was merely an illusion. Surely a carnival advertising itself as one from the future wouldn?t need such a cheap low budget attraction to generate thrills.

Kara walked swiftly, leaving Laura behind, and she spied all the tents, their flaps fluttering in the wind. The fall air whipped around her as she moved around the carnival, examining the rides, and the booths, and she quickly found that this carnival was very large. She found a kissing booth, which made her laugh a bit, and then a booth that was meant for the selling of raffle tickets. She then spotted the Side Show tent up ahead, and wandered towards it.

?Kara, you aren?t thinking of going inside, are you?? Laura asked through her teeth as she watched her friend head towards the tent with determination.

?Why not. No one is here, it doesn?t matter?what are you afraid of? A little teaser never hurt anyone.?

?Just be quiet!? Laura said as she followed her friend into the tent, against her better judgement.

-----

A knock came on Mr. Nero?s trailer door, and he swiftly moved to open it. There on the front steps was one of the performers, a midget who was wearing a nice suit.

?Mr. Nero.? He said. ?I wanted to let you know I?ve spotted two girls who snuck in. They are exploring the area around the side show tent as we speak.?

Nero let out a sigh. This was something he dealt with often, it seemed. Doing his best to smile, he leaned in, patted his friend on the shoulder. ?Thank you, Frank. I?ll take care of it?best get some sleep before opening day.?

Frank nodded, and left, as Mr. Nero grabbed his top hat, and threw on his silver coat.

?Damn Kids.? He mumbled as he walked out, closing the door.

-----

Marlene sat on the small couch that was in the large cage, and stared at the other girls as they worked together to fix a meal for dinner. She was mostly silent, as she had been since the reveal of her true captor. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she watched. Ms. Abner as the large man had called the oldest girl smiled at her, and came over.
?Are you okay?? she asked kindly.

?Not really? Marlene snapped back. ?I am a captive of a giant, and apparently I willed myself here, but I don?t remember any of it, and I just want to go home.? She said on the verge of tears.

?It?ll be okay. Mr. Nero isn?t a bad man?and besides, from now on, you are an entertainer?someone who will bring joy to the masses. Isn?t that a comforting thought.

?No.? she said, and she just stared off into the distance.

?It?ll be okay, I promise? Ms. Abner said again, as she walked back over to the other girls.

-----

Laura saw in the dim light of the flashlight Kara had brought with her that the tent was mostly empty, as the side show performers were probably in their trailers sleeping. She did notice a few animals here or there, one in particular was very frightening to her, a two-headed cobra, who slithered in a clear case. It flicked its tongue as the two girls passed, but seemed fairly unbothered by their presence.

?This place is kind of boring? Kara said from up ahead.

?Well, no shit, Sherlock?everyone is sleeping, and therefore, nothing is going on. What did you expect??

?Perhaps she expected something?special? rang out the voice of a male from behind them. Laura stopped in her tracks as she heard it, and turned around. The light from Kara?s light flashed on a man, a man with pure white skin. He wore a top hat, just like the man in the advertisements.

?I believe introductions are in order, girls.? He said ?I?ll start. I am Mr. Nero, owner of this fine carnival, and you two are??

Laura searched for breath to speak, but Kara beat her to it.

?I?m Kara. This is Laura?? she said, which caused Laura to shoot her a look.

?Aren?t you the brave one?? the man asked with a grin. ?I am sorry to say the Carnival is not open yet?as you can tell by a near empty tent. I should be angry with you both, but I believe that curiosity is a good habit to have, especially in one?s youth?so I ask you to leave now?and come back tomorrow when we open?my compliments? he said holding out two orange tickets.

Kara moved forward and grabbed them. Laura just looked at her.

?Good Night Girls. See you tomorrow? the man said with a grin that chilled Laura to the core.

My Gumroad
My Patreon

Featuring stories of Bodily Transformation and Wonder
Hugo Prosperio is offline   Reply With Quote