free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Bloomin Faeries gone?
View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2018   #65
PoisonElf
Mind Control Artist HMB

Re: Bloomin Faeries gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qzar9999 View Post
I mean, maybe I could've said it better, I guess? But yes, it would be nice to know *why* it's $500. Transparency would be great since they're asking for that kind of investment.

Elf, I'm curious to know how much you think a single four-panel comic strip I is worth, if you don't think $500 is too much. I know that nearly any artist we work with for the Fan sites would do a single four-panel page for less than that.

I mean, if it were $500 a *month* for weekly strips, that would make sense. Hell, that would probably be too low. But $500 per strip?
Why all this talk of "transparency"?
The indie go-go tells you what the money is going to.
"Each comic would cost about $500 each—some for the artist (Wondollar) what's left to me to help pay the hosting fees (and my bills)."
How is that unreasonable? Do you need to see an itemized list and their bank statement to justify your amazing $2 contribution?

See my previous post on a rough generous guestimated breakdown of the money.

I'd pay the artist whatever their asking price is. And if it was too high for the budget I had set out, I'd try to meet them most of the way by laying out a decent page rate and make up the rest in % of property ownership, sales, comps or whatever else.

I'd also be realistic about what the project is, who the intended audience would be, and how much that would potentially bring in.
I'm not going to try to hire Alex Ross to draw breast expansion.

Also: Yes, I'm aware how much they pay the artists at those Fan sites. That's why I keep turning them down and they have to rely on the revolving door of toe dippers or same handful of artists willing to work so hard for so little.
PoisonElf is offline   Reply With Quote