free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - What's Missing: Loss of Strength
View Single Post
Unread 01-22-2021   #12
Mathai
Professional Slacker

Location: California native, returned after years in the Army abroad.
Re: What's Missing: Loss of Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Sai View Post
The problem with the Pym Particle scenario is that if your mass and strength do not decrease, then neither would your weight. 100 lbs concentrated to the size of an ant would punch holes in the floor for every step you took.

If you become 1/4 height, your shirt will seem to weigh as much as 16 shirts, (about 5 pounds) and be quite unbalanced. The size and awkwardness of it would be a bigger problem then the weight. You would have to abandon it in order to run.

Yeah that part about Ant Man movie never made much sense to me. Too many plot holes, does that all mean the Wasp really can't fly on those tiny wings if she is still the same in every way but height?

I agree on needing to ditch the shirt if you want to be mobile, but if the reduction was fast and extreme enough then it might not be possible to escape in time. The amount of fabric you need to displace would only be increasing while the distance the shrunken person can displace the material would decrease.

Also the shock of what was happening could likely slow reaction times, making the problem even worse before you start. If it stopped at 1/4 height or something else that still left enough size to maneuver it wouldn't ensnare the person. But at what point WOULD the combination of size and weight become too much? If 1/4 height results in 16 shirts, is my math right to say that 1/4 to 1/16 (The same percentage of shrink again) would result in 256 shirt equivalent, all layered and much larger than the subject Miss Dolly Bonnie? If she couldn't or wouldn't escape in time to be engulfed, I think its fair to say she would be quite trapped between the weight and exhaustion. If not then, what point would you say is the threshold?
Mathai is offline   Reply With Quote