free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - What's Missing: Loss of Strength
View Single Post
Unread 01-24-2021   #18
Mathai
Professional Slacker

Location: California native, returned after years in the Army abroad.
Re: What's Missing: Loss of Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Sai View Post
You don't want to be converting matter to energy. The conversion factor involves the speed of light squared, so a human sized mass will explode large cities off of the Earth. You have to put the mass somewhere. Information inherent to the subject must either be retained or intelligently paired down.

Energy is probably the wrong word, and I think the phrase 'Intelligently paired down' describes what I mean pretty accurately. Having no real world scientific knowledge beyond what I remember from schooling and me attempting to ration it out. Especially since this is all in the realm of fantastic and unproven science, I give myself a little leeway on the exacts. As long as someone like yourself doesn't present compelling counter arguments like you have, of course.

My thinking is basically this. Like you theorized before, the atomic mass of a person can be dissipated into the atmosphere as a result of the outside influence. Where we start with a regular sized human that has had a changing element of energy applied, it can end then be split between a reduced version of that human and the rest of the matter dissipated into the surroundings. Much like a pot of water with tea bags, when the energy in a stove fire is applied, results in a pot of tea and a cloud of steam. The person becomes the tea, their lost height the steam. This could explain how they can eventually return to normal size later on, if possible.

My theory was that for such a massive and controlled change as shrinking, the energy source could be the person's body. I was imagining the energy released by an atomic weapon much like I think you were describing would be released by converting that much mass...But I counter that who's to say such a massive science bending transformation that also requires immense control so as to not have the same effect as those failed Ant Man movie experiments does NOT safely harness that level of energy in order to go properly? (Well...I suppose Prof_Sai is who, as you are way smarter on this subject that I am )
Mathai is offline   Reply With Quote