free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Diversity in BE
Thread: Diversity in BE
View Single Post
Unread 07-31-2019   #6
Penner
Process Fan

Re: Diversity in BE

I'll admit that I can't help but write from a primarily white, atheist, North American perspective; write what you know, right? That said, if I want to properly write a character from a distinctly different perspective than my own, I tend to ask questions of friends who share that character's perspective or at the very least hit Google in search of cultural think-pieces. I want to make sure I'm getting things right, and to add flourishes that make the character seem more authentic. Diversity is a positive, and it's one that challenges and educates me as a writer.

I also made a pointed effort in my first story to not describe how the characters looked, beyond how they dressed and wore make-up, and what their body shapes were (at the time ). No descriptions of hair or skin if I could help it. The intent is to use enough character work to let the reader fill in/trick them into deciding what the characters look like for themselves. I asked one of my preview readers if she had a mental image of Anna & Will, and she was about ready to sketch them up on the spot.

This answer has a much broader scope than the original question, especially given that I'm answering as a writer instead of a reader, but I hope you get what I mean.
Penner is offline   Reply With Quote