The Process Forum - View Single Post - Style Mistakes that Weaken TF stories
View Single Post
Unread 07-26-2018   #3
scidram
Frequent Poster

Re: Style Mistakes that Weaken TF stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf1361 View Post
We already have a thread about things we don't like in TFs and I don;t want to hijack it. SO I thought I would start this one dedicated to writing style mistakes. Some can really take a good TF story turn it into a mediocre one.

Here's some of my style pet peeves, (a lot of which I'm guilty of but trying to fix):

1. Using adverbs instead of a stronger verb.

2. Overuse of words like "suddenly," "that," and "meanwhile." I used these words a ton in the past and you know what? 99% of the time you can remove them without changing the meaning and feel of the sentence.(And yes, I'm well aware I used on of those in the thread title).

3. Cliches: "oh my God, what's happening to me?" Every time you see that in a TF story, take a drink!

What are some of yours?
1 & 2 are style pet peeves for stories in general, not just TF stories.

As for #3, I won't disagree with you. However, we only feel that way because of the sheer volume of TF stories (and I'm counting SW, GTS, and so forth along with this) we read. If any of these transformations suddenly happened to someone in reality, it's a somewhat reasonable reaction. Now take a drink! ;-)