free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Palcomix New Comic "Misato's New Girlfriend" (Offsite)
View Single Post
Unread 04-23-2008   #23
Physalis

Re: Palcomix New Comic "Misato's New Girlfriend"

Given that it is virtually impossible to convince people you don't agree with on an internet forum to come around to your way of thinking about anything, I'm going to try and employ the soul of wit here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Man View Post
When is it ever in-character to tg another character into your girlfriend?
If you want a serious answer to that, I can very easily give it to ya' (actually, this conversation has gotten me thinking, and now I might just have to write a few short, deliberately in-character TG pieces simply for the hell of it), but people are probably already sick of this discussion and would prefer that I didn't spend the required time on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrex View Post
The entire point of making, for instance, a TG-based comic featuring a cast of Anime characters the audience already knows it that it is inherently a situation that puts them out of their element which leads to actions that can't necessarily be considered in-character due to the complete lack of reference point.
I thought the 'entire point' was to see familiar male characters get boobs and have sex, with little or no thought put into it by most authors beyond that concept.

No?

Quote:
(ex: Rei's giant head in the BG of the completely destroyed world.)
I can explain that if you want, but again, I don't think people want to sit through the lengthy description.

Quote:
The familiarity and emotional connection with the cast of characters changes everything,
Ah, but that familiarity is exactly what I'm suggesting is lacking when you make a character act out of character. Doesn't it present a problem when a character you have an "emotional connection" to is acting like someone else entirely?

Of course, this is a completely theoretical argument. We have a cover and one page drawn thus far, and I clearly said in the first post that some form of mind alteration could work to explain Misato and Girlji getting together, if that is where the comic decides to go.

Quote:
Yes, I'll agree that it's going to be an out of character scenario for Misato and Girl-Shinji to make-out, but who the hell cares?
That would be me (and possibly other folks, but who knows?). It's a fact of life that people have different standards for what they want to read. If I'm reading fan-fiction of any sort, I hold the author to a standard of using the characters and universe in a way which is consistent with how they are portrayed in the source material. This doesn't mean that new situations and facets of the characters can't be explored, it just means that when the author tosses out "Well, I want this character to be gay, so they're gay," it isn't going to fly with me. If you appreciate fan works on a different level than I do, then that's fine. Read what you like and I'll do the same. I'll also keep on pointing out when I think that something isn't up to what I view as the appropriate standard, and if you want to criticize something that I enjoy for any reason, then go right ahead. Opinion is opinion is opinion.

This post was much longer than I intended.