free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Palcomix New Comic "Misato's New Girlfriend" (Offsite)
View Single Post
Unread 04-23-2008   #15
Kyrex
The Thread Ender

Re: Palcomix New Comic "Misato's New Girlfriend"

Ooooo.... This is going to be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physalis View Post
Well, if Misato doesn't act like Misato, Shinji doesn't act like Shinji, and the situation isn't one which could occur in the NGE universe, then what on earth is the point of using those characters and that setting? If I want to write a hardboiled crime noir story I'm certainly not going to steal Superman and randomly change all of the important details just so I can use him as the main character. Should this comic get a pass just because most people are going to use it as wank material?
Your argument defeats itself right here. The entire point of making, for instance, a TG-based comic featuring a cast of Anime characters the audience already knows it that it is inherently a situation that puts them out of their element which leads to actions that can't necessarily be considered in-character due to the complete lack of reference point. We can't look back and say, "Well, in episode ## when Shinji was turned into a girl Misato didn't go all lesbian on her then, why should she now?" So, whether or not Misato would actually do something, especially in an F***'d up series like NGE is entirely irrelevant. There are countless scenes in the series already where I have to ask myself why the hell something just happened and it's never really explained. (ex: Rei's giant head in the BG of the completely destroyed world.)

A better example for why impossible situations work with established characters would Super Smash Bros. Would it be be as good of a game series if all of the characters were just new creations that no one ever heard of? There's no connection there and there's really no urge to play some fighting game that just sports a cast of no-bodies. But start tossing in Mario, Sonic, and Link, and now people are interested. It's the same thing here. People want to see these hypotheticals even if it's out of character for Mario to beat Princess Peach without remorse.

The familiarity and emotional connection with the cast of characters changes everything, and yes, just because it's wank material you're supposed to suspend disbelief, not turn into the Comic Book Guy and debate whether or not a character would do something or not. Fan-fiction, my friend, is never wholly accurate because the author has an predetermined idea in mind and that story wouldn't be the same without using specific characters, even if they have to be skewed.

(Also, I would read a Film Noir Superman story. There is fun to be had in watching characters deal with scenarios that are out of character for them.)

Not even going to try and debate human sexuality in general here. That was a mistake to bring it up on my part.

I'm going to stop replying to this thread after this, for my own good, since I know this is likely to turn into a Flame War if I continue. I've made my case and I believe you should at least take into consideration what I've said. Yes, I'll agree that it's going to be an out of character scenario for Misato and Girl-Shinji to make-out, but who the hell cares? Seriously, it's a well drawn, free, TG comic. Christmas came early for me and all you seem to care about is whether or not Misato would suck face with another chick or not.

Last edited by Kyrex; 04-23-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typos!
Kyrex is offline   Reply With Quote