Captain Ash
Adventurer

It took a while for the next chapter,
but good things take time.

Enjoy reading

Captain Ash

============================================

CHAPTER 11: A Nap with Consequences

Once a month the Orcs brought supplies through the mountains to the castle. Bringing up all the goods like food, wine, etc. was troublesome to transport the cumbrous way along the mountains and the Orcs were often grumbling about it, but even the sorceress had to eat and drink in some way sometimes.
The maid took one of her mistress dresses and palm herself off as the Mistress of Darkness. She knew in a way that Orcs couldn’t tell a difference on human faces, so she decided to try out how much truth in this rumour was; which she heard of course from the sorceress by any chance.
>> Put the barrels in the store room. << she commanded, trying to imitate her sternly voice.
Bristling with anger the green henchmen rolled the barrels and filled boxes to the store-places as usual.
Hey, it works! the maid thought, these low-witted fellows cannot even make a difference of mine and the mistress voices and really think I am her.
Unfortunately she couldn’t go with the Orcs over the mountainous ridge; it would be too obvious that something is wrong because the sorceress never accompanied them.
Besides, her feet were still naked and they shivered merely by the icy breath of the open gates.
Good that the mistress isn’t around here, the false sorceress thought; otherwise she would be in trouble.
Oh, no! she had thought of her like a bad omen.
She looked around like she would appear any moment, punishing her for this insolence and teaching her a lesson for not fooling around and toying with her belongings.
But nothing happens …
>> Oh, what a luck. << she put her hand of her heard and breathed a sigh of relief.
However, her mistress was away for quite a long time ago. Not that the maid was unhappy about it, during her absence she had her peace with no one commanding her around.
Nonetheless, strange was it after all, and she thought in a secretly smile about her, adventuring as a girl.
If she was lucky, her little whippersnapper would end up in an orphanage.

Misty woke up. For some reason she’s got a bitter taste in her mouth from sleeping and found herself disbelieving in a dark cell with bars on the door.
>> Where am I? << the girl shouted anxiously.
She was in an unknown room and didn’t know how she got there.
It wasn’t the dark basement Abigail once put her in. One thing was sure, this place was not the “To the Golden Spoon”,
From a small window somewhere above the cell, some ray lights permeated the cell a bit in a semi-light.
To her horror Misty had to recognise that she was imprisoned and ran to the bared door, but as expected it was locked.
>> Is anybody here? << she said in a half anxious voice, while shaking on the bars. >> What is this for a place? <<

>> You are finally awake, little girl. << a friendly voice greeted her.
>> Who are you and what is this for a place? << the girl asked again.
>> There is nothing to worry about, << the friendly voice told her.
From a dark corner the sorceress saw that a shadow rose and came nearer to her direction.
Slightly she could see the silhouette of a woman, but with every step she could see that the young woman had black hair which was plaited to a braid with the tail hanging in front of her shoulder. She also wore glasses that let her look like a scholar.
Friendly with a smile she bent down to the girl.
>> Don’t worry, << the woman assured her, >> I have found you poor girl in this filthy alley, alone and lonely. So I thought it would be a good idea to bring you here, don’t you think so? <<
>> No, I don’t think so! And why am I locked up in this hole? I have done nothing wrong. << …, or haven’t I? the girl was wondering.
>> Oh this. Don’t bother yourself with that. This measure is only to your own safety until we get the possibility to get you to your new home in an orphanage. In the mean time you are a special guest by the sheriff he has generously offered, isn’t that great. <<
Oh, no! Not one of these welfare-aunts thinking to help society by interfering unbidden and unwanted in other people matters, the girl thought.

>> Wait! I’m not a homeless brat, I’m not even a girl I’m an adult. <<
>> You are not even a big girl, << the woman said, >> and if you are not homeless then why have you slept on the road? <<
>> It’s not like you think, it happens accidentally. I just wanted to rest and I’m not living on the street. I’m home in a tavern. <<
>> A tavern you say! That is not a place for girls. But believe me; you will have it much better to the place where I’ll bring you. <<
>> You don’t understand. I’m Uncl … <<
>> No, no, no, << the woman didn’t let her speak forth. >> I’m much older than you and know what the best is for you. <<
>> I told you I’m NOT homeless, so why you still keeping me in there? <<
>> Oh, dear, you don’t have to be ashamed of to be an orphaned. A lot of children have this problem, so you are not the only one. Please don’t look at me so hostile, we only want to help you to get out of the gutter. << she said slowly in a calm and insightfully voice.
>> Are you deaf, I trying to explain you that I’m not an orphan, besides not even homeless. << the girl had the opinion that this woman thoughts that she is out of her mind. Every time when she tried to explain things right, she twisted her words in the way she liked.
>> I know, dear. It must be hard for you and I appreciate that you want to earn for your own living in taverns where you are only exploited by inn-keepers. But consider that you don’t have to work in a decent home and get a proper care for you. <<
If I don’t get out of here I won’t have a future, but discussing with this narrow-minded wannabe god-mother was pointless.
>> Well, this reminds me of a rhyme about your poor souls. The reason why I wanted to help so lovely girls like you. <<

Then she tuned her voice to a melody and sang:

Who is that one, walking alone?
Has no father and no mother
Is afraid, and punished all day.

Has no stocking, and has no skivvy
Is walking anxiously, alone and lonely
only on her bare toes, over the road
Who is she, in the ragging dress?
An urchin girl, an useless girl
- and an unfortunate girl.

>> Spare me this mockery! << the girl shouted, but the woman giggled friendly.
>> Sorry, I didn’t mean to. But I do things because I only want your best.
Trust me! <<
When there was one thing the sorceress has learned in her life, then it was never to trust someone who says “Trust me! “.

>> Let me out! Let me out, at once! I have done nothing. Don’t keep me against my will in this dark cell! I hate it to be trapped in this hole. << she began to panic, but the little sorceress several begging’s were useless.
>> I’m afraid I can’t. But the sheriff and I will take good care of you. I have to go now but I will come again and see you. <<
No! the girl thought, as she stood alone in the cell. The mightiest sorceress ever ending up in an orphanage, shall it really end up like this?
>> I must find a way of here out! << she whispered to herself, and looked carefully around.

In her cell were no chairs, no tables and not even a proper bed. On the ground was only a bed of old blanket and nothing else that was of any use.
Her only link to the outside was a window over the cell she couldn’t reach, not with a girl’s body.
The walls, however, were old and rough and on some places it had cracks, small but deep enough to reach the window.
Walking to the window in order to climb it, Misty noticed that she was barefooted, because the floor was sticky from the filth, layered over decades. The sorceress wished she had her sandals, but they must be still near the place where she had dozed.
It was disgusting when she felt how the wet filth glued between her beautiful soft toes, crawling into her skin; soon the soles of her feet became dark of the filth.
This cannot be true, the girl thought; she hated it when her remarkable feet become dirty, no matter how much she actually loves walking barefooted.
It made her feel to look like a homeless girl, in which she was actually stepping to this direction, without being aware of this fact.

Misty looked through the bars. On a small cornice she could kneel. The window showed her a road with busy people walking up and down along the unpaved streets.
>> Help! << she shouted. >> Help me! I’m imprisoned here innocent. <<
Unconcerned people ignored her or looked away; and the ones who did, said things like:
>> See this girl? <<
>> One of those urchin brats again. <<
>> Luckily she’s there where she belongs to and don’t bother other people. <<

>> Somebody help? << the girl begged, but she was whether ignored or defied.
What’s up with these people that they don’t like urchins, the girl thought – not that she was one of them, of course. On the other hand, who wants to help an unknown girl anyway?
However, the sorceress didn’t give up and continued, what choice did she have? At least it was better than down to the sticky ground and the foul smell and the air up there was better.
With this flop the sorceress began to panic even more, but she tried to keep a calm head and didn’t become hysterically. Meeting her guardians was the last thing she wanted and who knows what this odd woman were capable of, for her she was only a mean low-life girl.

>> Misty! Is it you? << a familiar voice spoke her.
Surprised the girl looked up; thanks to the sun behind the person she could only see a shadow.
>> What are you doing down there? <<
Finally someone who can help me, the sorceress thought relieved.
When her eyes were used to the light, she recognised that it was Awren.
>> Awren! << she yelled desperately with a little gladness, and reached her arm to him. >> Thanks that you are here. You must help me. <<
>> What happened to you? << the boy asked astonished.
>> I need help. Please help and find Uncle Ben for me quickly before I’m send off to an orphanage and have to stay there forever. <<
>> Sure, I do what I can. << and as fast as his feed could carry him, the boy was away.

The sorceress had already climbed down the window and again the sticky dusk between her toes reminds her how filthy the floor was.
But this wasn’t important for now; Misty wanted to know what exactly her wardens were doing, but she alone in the prison.
If they would send me today to an orphanage, the sorceress wondered.
Her curiosity was served when the bespectacled woman came again.
>> Sorry for letting you alone for such a long while. << she said friendly, assuming the girl would looking forward to see her. >> Did you calm down a bit? <<
>> No, I don’t! I’m still sitting in this cell. <<
>> You are quite a stubborn. Didn’t you made any thoughts that it is to your own good? <<
>> If you were in my place, would you like it to be imprisoned, waiting to be send to an orphanage? <<
>> Yes, I would looking forward to it. << she smiled.
The sorceress knew that this answer wasn’t serious; maybe she thought that she stupid enough to believe it.
>> But it doesn’t matter, you are still young and will understand it if you become big enough. << she added, and with a jiggle she let the girl alone.
The sorceress laid down to something that was supposed to be a bed. In this darkness she couldn’t do more than to wait.

>> Ah! The girl, you mean. You must know that she is not taken imprisoned, she is just being kept. <<
>> Whatever! I’m here to come for her, so release her. <<
>> I don’t think so. <<
>> What you mean you can’t! <<
>> She is an orphan and therefore under government care. <<
>> You are not serious! This brat isn’t homeless. <<
>> I’m sorry to tell you, but unless you are not in any kind related or prove to be responsible for her, you cannot see here. <<
>> We will see what the hell I can do! <<
With these words Abigail walked inexorably to door down to the cells.
The sheriff was busy to get his bottom out of chair before he could stop her, but in the meantime she already passed the passage to the prison.

>> You can’t enter this area! << the sheriff hurried after her, but it was obvious that Abigail gave a damn to it.
However, the waitress didn’t notice that in the sheriff office was also a young woman who also hastened behind the sheriff.
It was the woman with the glasses who was disappointed that a man like the sheriff was overstrained by a simply barmaid.

The door opened and Misty saw quickly that it was Abigail who entered the prison. An old man followed her whom the waitress seems to ignore, although the man shouted after her to stop.
>> There you are, young girl! We have to talk serious about this later. << she said to the girl.
Suddenly the sorceress got a queasy feeling, then she thought if it weren’t safer in the cell than to be with Abigail.
>> And now to you! << she turned toward the sheriff. >> Unlock the door, so we can finish this whole stupid thing. <<
>> It seems that you didn’t understand that the girl have to stay! << someone said, it was the glasses-wearing woman who stepped between Abigail and the cell.
>> Who are you? << Abigail asked.
>> Someone who is really cares about the matter of this child. <<
>> So it is your brilliant idea to send little children to jail, especially when they are supposed to help in the tavern? <<
>> An inn is not the ideal environment for a girl, where she is only working like a slave. We can offer her better conditions suited for children. <<
>> I also have a word to say about this! << the little girl said offended, but nobody paid attention to her; somehow she didn’t like it how these two were making decisions by their own without asking her.
>> To make it clear: the “To the Golden Spoon” is a decent tavern, not an inn like you want to make believe me. And how can you bookworm dare to send a girl to an orphanage, who isn’t even homeless. << the quarrel continued.
>> Is she really home there just because she has to work there? <<
>> In every home children have to give a hand and its better than letting her bedraggled in an orphanage. No matter what, she comes with me! <<
>> You forget that you need the permission of the sheriff, so why don’t you let him decide? << the woman said.
>> Well, as I said before, the girl can’t go with you. << the sheriff confirmed.
The dark-haired woman was pleased; she knew that it wasn’t a bad idea to let him doing something, too.
Abigail was not satisfied with this answer and talked to the sheriff conscience with a salvo of threads, insults and a good view of her plunging neckline.
At least the last point gave him no choice but to yield the outraged waitress.

>> How can you say such an irresponsible thing? << the woman protested.
>> I’m sorry, but with so much temperament I couldn’t resist. << the sheriff apologised.
>> I have what I need. Now give way! <<
Abigail walked to unlock the door whose key she had already taken from the sheriff’s belt as a result of her impatient not to wait any longer than necessary, but the welfare woman stood in her way.
>> I don’t think that I can’t allow it. << the woman said.
>> Good, then we are doing it the hard way. << Abigail gave as a response.
Threatening she rolled up in gesture her sleeves which were too short anyway to be tuck up.
Showing her upper arm the waitress demonstrated that they were not only good for to carry trays full of pines.
To so much violence even the welfare lady had to bow.

Eventually Abigail was able to open the cell.
>> Come, we are out of here. << the waitress said, and Misty followed her quietly.
>> If you want to change your mind, you can come back any time you want. << the black-haired beauty offered here, but the sorceress was served with so much kindness and was only happy to leave this place as soon as possible.

The warm sandy road felt nice and was a welcome change to the filthy floor in the cell.
>> Where are you sandals? << Abigail was wondering.
>> I … I think I have lost them. << Misty answered; she didn’t want to go into details.
>> You are unbelievable, do you know that. <<
>> Why are you scolding me? If you don’t like it why have you come at all? <<
>> Don’t be so disrespectful! First you nearly end up in an orphanage and then you lost you shoes. You are really sluttish. <<
Misty didn’t say a word. Arguing with Abigail was as useless as with this welfare-witch, just because they had the advantage on their side that adults are always having the final word.
Luckily they passed the alley where the sorceress had lost her sandals.
>> Where do you want to go now again? << Abigail shouted.
>> I’ll be soon back. <<
Misty didn’t have to search long, her sole-keeper were there where she had left them. The girl was relieved, but thinking about it who would seriously take this worthless pair?
>> Huh! Lost them. << Abigail said right behind her.
>> Not anymore. << the sorceress said happily. >> Lost and found. <<
>> Give them to me! <<
>> Why? << the girl wondered.
>> Your feet are already dirty, so it isn’t necessary to do so with your sandals. Besides, see it as a part of your punishment. <<
>> What you mean with punishment. <<
>> Let me say it in this way, if you were in an orphanage, you would still be walking barefooted.

Soon they reached the tavern. The sky slightly began to become red of the dawn. Misty wanted to go to the backdoor so that people couldn’t see how much she was covered with dust again, Abigail however insisted to go through “the shortest way”.
As always people were busy with themselves, but they still had a short time to glace at newcomers entering through the door.
Uncle Ben came and greeted them.
>> Have you seen something exciting? << he asked.
>> Nothing really, except that this little girl was nearly send to an orphanage. << Abigail said gleefully.
Misty becomes red of shame.
Couldn’t Abigail just keep mum, the sorceress was annoyed, and why had she to talk this so loudly.
>> Poor girl, how did this happen? <<
>> No time for explanations. << the waitress interfered again. >> First I have to wash this little dustflower. <<
Captain Ash is offline   Reply With Quote