The Process Forum - View Single Post - mind control, bimbo transformation
View Single Post
Unread 01-20-2008   #114
fri2219
Custom User Title

Re: mind control, bimbo transformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolol View Post
Not necessarily. Genes don't jump to different chromosomes (Movement is usually just within the individual chromosome); besides that, sexual reproduction is more-or-less necessary for genetic diversity. The few species that reproduce asexually -- haplodiploidy doesn't count here because unfertilized eggs spawn males -- tend to be insects in isolated regions that don't have much competition within their niche. I don't think humans would go down that evolutionary path partly because there's no selective pressure against sex, partly because sexual recombination protects against disease (Arms races between us and the bacteria/viruses and such).

Besides that, it'd take more than a few thousand years. Hell, an 'instant' in evolutionary terms is something like 500,000 years. XD
Most species on the earth are not charismatic megafauna or plants, and reproduce asexually, since they're Prokarya.

Open Reading Frames and iRNA coding regions hop intra/inter chromosomally all the time, and even move to and from organelle genomes fairly frequently. Inter/intra chromosomal re-arrangements not only happen as an side reaction of normal regulation, especially in immune response, but as a product of unequal chromosomal replication and recombination due to retroviruses and other mobile elements such as transposons. If you're interested, look up the work of Barbara McClintock, Howard Temin, and David Baltimore.

The tempo/mode problem of evolutionary clocks has more to do with generation time than physical time. It's too ugly to explain here, but look up what Ernst Mayr has to say about it if you're really motivated. What constitutes an instant is 10 years if you're an insect, or 10 days if you're a bacterium- and the two of them make up 99.9% of the biomass on the planet.

Sorry about the graduate level molecular genetics discussion, I need to get out of my mother's basement laboratory more often.

Last edited by fri2219; 01-20-2008 at 10:44 PM.
fri2219 is offline   Reply With Quote