free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - The Next TG Video by me?
View Single Post
Unread 03-20-2017   #4
danielsangeo
Process Moderator

Re: The Next TG Video by me?

Thanks for your kind words!

@Red Parrot: There are some problems with the current software which is creating an artificial ceiling in what I can do.

First: The graph editor in Poser is absolutely abominable:
http://orig04.deviantart.net/703d/f/...eo-db30aaf.png

In this link, you can see four options. Only four. Spline, Break Spline, Linear, and Step. This is really a huge handicap.

Here's Blender's:
http://img14.deviantart.net/c2c1/i/2...eo-db30aab.png

Not only does it have the four options Poser has, you have much better finesse and control over the splines including possibility of controlling ease-ins and ease-outs, sharp splines, gradual splines...and not only that, but you can see all the parameters at once! This is tremendous where it comes to seeing how parameters (such as rotate and translate) work in tandem. Seeing only one spline at a time is like trying to create a 2D Disney animation without being able to have "onion-skinning".

Now, this could potentially lead to what I call "spaghettification", but really, for 3D animators, that's super important. You can hide the splines you're not using at the time for better visual representation of the animation. This is what is available in Blender, in Maya, in 3DStudio, and almost every other 3D animation software package out there.

Sure, I can finagle each and every frame to get the ease-ins, ease-outs, spline-breaks with ease-ins, and whathaveyou, but it's still going to come out looking rather derpy in the long run without a severe amount of fiddling. "I just want to open the hand from a fist--why is it taking three weeks to do so?!"

And the other problem with using Poser (and even DAZ Studio) is that they aren't going to be doing what I want very well. Both Poser and DS are for character posing and animation (the former less so than the latter). Their rendering is getting much better but it still doesn't hold a candle to the renderers available to other packages such as Blender and Maya.

It's the difference between this and this. The differences, in my mind, are really stark. The former looks great, but is not as good as the latter, in my mind. The latter is what I hope to accomplish for my TG videos eventually. This just isn't possible with the toolset I currently am using.

I go to Bob Ross, who created stunning landscapes (ANOTHER thing I want to be able to do and Poser/DAZ can't really do well) with his toolset of paints. If you gave him some dirty dishwater and told him he could only use the dishwater to create a painting, I'm sure he could've done it, but it would not have come out as beautiful as he was capable of doing. 3D animation packages are the toolset, but if your toolset is lacking, you're not going to be able to do what you want as well.

@Chiaroscuros: Could you go into detail what you mean by "better...but less detailed"?

Tell me, where in the world is Daniel Sandiego?
danielsangeo is offline   Reply With Quote