Thread: Foot by Foot
View Single Post
Unread 09-15-2016   #4
hexen
Amateur writer

Re: Foot by Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovebe View Post
Thank you, hexen! I hope people really enjoy it.

Regarding character descriptions, I've done stories that both have a lot of description and exposition and those that are more minimal, jumping quickly into the action. I could sense from the initial discussions between Obsidian and myself that he really put a lot of importance on the profile of the characters for this story, so I spent a bit on giving the readers a good contrast between the two main players. One of my favorite TF stories is a very short digitalcirce piece called Meeting the Shadow Demon, which starts in medias res with little character description or development. It's interesting to hear different people's philosophies on that when it comes to process-related media.
I am particularly torn between the two ideas honestly. When I write I try to incorporate the descriptions into the flow of the story, so instead of saying "she looks like this and this and that because of this" I'll try to include details about the character's clothing and demeanour during the story, such as "her soaked blonde locks inperred her sight" or stuff like that. But I feel that overall, if you want to use the characters on a longer period of time then pumping out the description on a colorful way is just better and saves time later, when the action is happening.

And may the TF fairy find you and make you rawr!!
hexen is offline   Reply With Quote