free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - AI Generated 'Art'
View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2023   #22
Test-0
*ching* *ching*

Re: AI Generated 'Art'

So having done a bit of work learning this whole ai art thing and it causing my resurgeance as of recently on deviant art, I might as well throw my hat into the ring. Not for if it's legal, or the ramifications of what it means, if it's art at all, stuff like that. Thats boring, I'm gonna talk about what I did with it.

So to start off, I started rendering stuff only a few months ago, with almost no actual knowledge of how it works, how to make it work, how to even set it up correctly. And for that last part, it's still not correctly set up and my setup for ai rendering is very 'chunky' and blatantly works wrong is many areas. But I like that, adds character.

Started with the txt2img stuff as everyone does, learning prompting and getting a feel for how it works, but got bored with it fairly quickly. It made cool things, but nothing I thought was worth extra effort, since literally anyone could do the same. Then I learned about img2img and started to try it out, using my own drawings as the sources. This is what pulled me in. Unlike txt2img where the image generated might as well just be an image already saved in the ai and printed at me, img2img was it actually trying to duplicate the source image in question in some fashion. Poorly. Or at least at the time when I never learned how it all worked and just did things at random.

For the most part, I was going to just let it stay my own personal thing, shared only with a specific other friend and no one else because I didn't see a reason to put up anything it made, because while it was fun to play with, I didn't find anything it did interesting enough to me to share past that one friend.

And then I made a rendering mistake, set something wrong, and it generated most of a BE sequence from the image I was trying to remake. I figured out what I did wrong, but with sharing it with my friend I suddenly had that spark of, hey this is actually interesting. So I shared it.

https://www.deviantart.com/test-0/ar...make-934331203 was the image I had liked the most out of the renders that most closely matched the original, but still had it's own flair, and this: https://www.deviantart.com/test-0/ar...W-BE-934332738 is the sequence that I got from the broken renders, patched up with photoshop to fix any major errors or glitchy looking parts. I had to reinstall all of my editing stuff. My drawing tablet, a copy of photoshop that is as old as my original drawings, all the things that had been sitting packed away for years and years.

Unlike most of the AI stuff I had seen being spread across the internet, these had a new feel to them, likely because I used my own sketchy messy drawings to make it. A separation from it being something an AI made up, it was now something that both the AI and myself had worked in part on. Images that can't be made by the AI alone, because it needed a source to work from to do it.

I'm still not completely pleased with just posting what the AI remakes of my things, so as a result of getting an AI to draw for me, I got convinced to start to draw my own things once again. Since that first post of AI stuff, I've done both a fully drawn sequence and using completely original drawings in the AI make a sequence from that.

So what are my thoughts on AI art? Seems cool.