free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - much loved tf kid shows you enjoy growing up
View Single Post
Unread 05-29-2015   #36
Xanderfox
Process Master

Re: much loved tf kid shows you enjoy growing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I also remember the animated Swamp thing show. Where the bad guy own a machine that was abke to mutate his henchmen. One into rip off of man-bat and the other into a giant snake. Also one of swamp things friends into a preying mantis.
Actually the bat was the main bad guy himself, though I recall the bad guys where already mutants, guess we had to make sure everyone knew they where the bad guys.
I do remember SwampThing was shown on USA network, who in the 90's did several original cartoons. Mortal Kombat Defenders of the Realm was a toned down and overtly formulaic adaptation. Street Fighter seemed unable to decide if it was adapting the games or the Jean-Claude-Van Damme film as it seemed to feature aspects unique to that film, namely Blanka's origin a sa mutated Chalie, oddly someone create "Carlos Blanka" for the MUGEN fighting game that was this character. Savage Dragon was a decent adaptation of the source material, the series was about human mutants called Super Freaks and one episode featured a freak who could reverse the mutations. The Wing Commander Cartoon was utterly forgettable.

Also in the 90's we had an adaption of the Mutant League video games. she show revolving around extreme versions of sports with teams of human mutants who has extreme regeneration powers ("Troll" mutants could survive beheading). The show's main plot/set up featured a giant earthquake in the middle of a football game exposing decades worth of illegal toxic dumping, ejecting a toxic soup into the stadium and mutating the players and fans. One episode had a bigoted man protesting the league fall into the toxic lake the shows original disaster created and mutating, but due to years of "settling" his mutation was more animal like, lacked regeneration powers and wore off. The episode I remember most was one where the hero. Bones Justice, got suspended when normal human kids imitated one of his signature moves and got badly hurt. I though it was interesting as it seemed like a per-emptive defense for the show's level of violence.

the series Extreme Ghostbusters, which was better than it sounds, followed a new Ghostbusters Team recruited from Egon Spengler's collage class. It didn't run long but had a some transformations. The series opener had one of the XGBs, Kylie the goth chick, possessed by a Mayan Plague goddess who triggered the renewed spirit activity that cause the XGN to form, the Real Ghost Busters having retired and split up when they stopped getting calls. 3 Witches in collage used transformation based revenge spells as as a cost when the ghost that give them powers inevitably betrayed them got turned into monsters based on them. An episode revisited the Grundle, a sort of evil Pete Pan entity that whisked away kids promising them they would never need to grow up, but really turned them into more Grundles. In another episode we had Jennine being seduced by a Latino businessman who turned out to be a Insect Demon who kidnapped her and transformed her into his queen, he claimed was by erasing her humanity. We had the XGB attacked by Fenrus, the RGB having captured Surtor, who transformed 4 of the characters into "vanguard" monsters to help him destroy the containment unit and free Surtor. Lastly one had XGB Edwardo making a careless wish that Kylie payed more attention to him getting him put inside the body of her cat.
Xanderfox is offline   Reply With Quote