free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - [Story] >> The Enchanted Sorceress <<
View Single Post
Unread 08-27-2006   #21
Captain Ash
Adventurer

@Kingloser4 : glad to hear that you like the story. Here you got more^^

I sat really long for this chapter but I hope it paid out.
Enjoy reading!

Captain Ash

================================================== ====

CHAPTER 10: The Children of Yornick

No! I am an adult, why do I have to play with children? the sorceress spoke to herself.
She hated children. They are only good for nothing and they are annoying and noisy, too.
Why is Uncle Ben making me to doing this? But then she reluctantly returned to her mind that she herself was now a girl, someone adults expect to play with their own kind.
Still, it was embarrassing to hang around with those low-witted bunches and playing any childish games.

>> Where do you think you are going? << Abigail said as Misty intended to leave with the old man the tavern.
>> We are just going outside. << Ben answered for her. >> I thought it wouldn’t be bad if Misty plays with some other children around here. <<
>> But not with this dress. << the waitress protested.
>> What’s wrong with it? << Misty asked.
>> This is not a dress for playing outside! You will just make it dirty and filthy such as your rag. <<
Abigail took the girl’s arm.
>> Come with me, I will change your clothes. << the waitress spoke while she pulled the girl to the kitchen.
>> I’m waiting outside, Misty. << Uncle Ben shouted after her.
The guests in the taproom who had noticed this incident focused their eye on the girl.
How embarrassing, the sorceress blushed, why does Abigail has to make a big thing of everything?
>> Now let me get you out of this dress. << Abigail said when they had reached the kitchen.
>> I can do that myself. << the girl insisted.
>> No backchat! << Abigail demanded, and undressed the girl.
>> Why are you making such as fuss for a dress? << the girl asked, wondering why Abigail acted weird, even for her; as she was waiting naked while the waitress fetching her clothing’s.
>> Because it belongs to one of Uncle Ben’s granddaughters and I don’t perceive why you should ruin it. << Abigail answered, while she was looking for Misty’s rag and sandals she had thrown somewhere in a corner.
She found them and put them on Misty.
>> These clothes are fine, it doesn’t matter if make those one get dirty, whether they are not already. << and allowed then the girl to went out playing.
Misty said nothing and just hurried to Uncle Ben. By crossing the taproom, the guest had the wondered about her clothes changing from an ordinary girl to a strayer.

>> You took long, << Uncle Ben smiled, >> what happened keeping you waiting? <<.
>> Abigail happened. << the girl answered shortly, but now she cold walk more comfortable than in this tight dress.
Uncle Ben laughed about Misty’s sarcasm answer.
>> This is something I like on you, never be at a loss for an answer. That’s what I call a remarkable fighting spirit. <<
>> What was all that matter about that dress? <<
>> Oh, well! As diligently as she is, she hates laundry. Don’t let it trouble you about this. <<
Sure, the girl remembered how fast she got covered with dust when she arrived the town first time. Abigail has indeed a real talent of making a mountain out of a molehill.

The unequally couple followed the road away from the market.
While they walked through a maze of forks and narrow alleys; Uncle Ben talked about the children they will meet and Misty would easily find new friends.
The sorceress had a queasy feeling, although Uncle Ben told they are nice and friendly.
On a large square they halted. It was the same place she met the children playing hide & seek, and unfortunately even the same kids she had annoyed.
In a small town like this the sorceress could imagine it that she would meet these children again.

>> Look! Uncle Ben is there. << one of the boys shouted from a far distance.
The boys and girls ran to the old man.
>> Have you brought a surprise? << a girl asked.
>> It is impolite to expect any presents, << another girl said to her, >> you are always doing that. <<
>> Hohoho, << Ben laughed amused, >> I have indeed brought something special. <<
Misty had already hidden behind Uncle Ben, because at last one of the boys had seen her from yesterday she had ruined the game. She played with the mind if it were not better to disappear and wanted to take the first step to sneak away.
>>> Please great your new playmate: Come Misty. << Uncle Ben continued and took the girl by the hand.

>> Don’t be so shy. << the old man said and pushed her in front of him and leaning his hands of her shoulders.
>> I know you! << the yesterday’s hiding-boy said.
Darn, it seems he hasn’t forgotten me, the sorceress smiled bashfully as she had actually expected.
>> Oh! I see, you have already made some friends. << Uncle Ben said pleased.
>> Far from it! She is the one who kill all joy at playing hide & seek and told where I was hiding! <<
Actually I have pointed at you; the girl corrected him in her thoughts.
>> I’m sure she only wanted to play with you. << Uncle Ben tried to assure him.
>> No! She had fun of whistle-blowing my hiding-place. <<
>> You are just jealous that you have lost! << the seeker-boy defended her; Awren was his name if the empress remembered right, the boy who had to fetch his drunken father.
>> Quiet traitor! No wonder you are saying that because you have won thanks to her. << the annoyed boy hissed.
>> Now, now! Don’t be so unfair, Pago. It was just a game, so there is no reason of being mad of Misty. <<
Pago?! the girl smirked stealthily, with such a funny name he deserved it to be spoofed.
>> I know you didn’t ill-intentioned it, Misty, but next time you better ask before you join in a game. <<
>> I promise it, << she said faced up to Uncle Ben, whose hands were still on her shoulders.
>> After that is cleared we are all friends now. << Ben said and some children surrounded him now, asking and pushing him to play with them

>> This is not over yet, wench. << Pago whispered to her.
To his respond Misty stuck briefly her tongue to him.
What an old bighead, what could he do anyway?
Then the sorceress reminded of that this action before was very childish and unlike her.
What the heck! she thought. I’m a girl now, I may do that.

>> Not so fast, children. I’m not the youngest anymore. << Uncle Ben said while he sat on a bench under a big tree.
>> No, you are not old, Uncle Ben. << a fair haired girl said.
>> Sure he is, can’t you see on his long white beard that he is maybe about hundred years old? << a boy asserted in a loud voice.
>> But why don’t you drink from the fountain of youth? << said a dark-haired boy.
>> Stupid! There is nothing like a fountain of youth. << Pago said.
>> Sure there is. Near the market is one. << the dark-haired boy replied.
>> Ah! The fountain with the chiselled pictures, << the sorceress remembered, >> but this fountain isn’t a youth-spender. <<
>> Where do you want to know this? << the dark-haired boy wanted to know.
>> Well, maybe because I have drunk from it and it had no effects on me. <<
>> You see! Even this girl knows that there no such things like a fountain of youth. << Pago swanked triumphantly.
As I thought, he is a moron, the girl thought, but I don’t let him go away with this satisfaction.
>> I never said that there aren’t any fountains of youth. << retorted the sorceress, and she had to know it best.
>> What?! << shouted Pago stunned. >> Didn’t you said before not something different. <<
>> No, I just said that this fountain near the market doesn’t grant youth, I never said there doesn’t exist one. <<
>> Possible that you found one, that is the reason why you are so a baby. <<
>> Watch out! Whom are you calling a baby, you wimp. << Misty growl in a guttural fashion like she was used to threatens others as an adult, but Pago seemed not to be impressed by that.

Uncle Ben missed this last part of the quarrel because the dark-haired boy pulled on his sleeves.
>> Uncle Ben, the others said that our fountain of youth don’t make people younger. <<
>> It neither right nor wrong, << said the old man, >> come children, sit around me, then I will tell you what makes this fountain so special. <<
The children sat on the ground and waited excited of the story, the main reason for what Uncle Ben was so famous by children.
A typically old-fashion story-telling grandpa, the sorceress thought, but why not.
She shrugged her shoulders and also made it comfortable on the dusty ground, but she made sure to keep enough distant from Pago, whose quarrel was interrupted thanks to the announced story but still throw her an angry look.

>> Long ago, an old wanderer passes this place, where instead of roads and houses only grass and pastures covered this land. On his way he found a well which was flowing out of a rock. It was a hot day, and this well seems to be the ideal place to rest before he has to continue his long marsh. He rested a while and filled his empty water bottle; then he decided to satisfy his thirst.
As he drank the cool wet, he suddenly felt much stronger and vital than before. Maybe it was the effect of the burning sun and the cool water, but the old man felt his strength recharged he hadn’t since he was a young man.
This well refreshed him so much, that he came to the idea to bring his little herd of sheep’s to the well, where they grew strong and increased in number faster than elsewhere, and he come to the decision to move here.
Soon this place paid attention to other people and they also decided to settle there.
With the settlement a lot of wanderer and merchants passed the well, learning soon that the harvest here was the finest and making business was profitable.
So thanks to them they began to build a town that become a little trade channel. Because everything, animals or plants, grew fair and healthy, it was said that this well must be a fountain of youth.
So this well was build to a fountain where it stands till today. <<
With these words the story ended and the children clapped exited.

Well, a typical story which you can only inspiring children, Misty thought, but for my taste it was too much of a boring history lesson.
>> So! << the old storyteller said. >> I’m tired now. I think I’ll go and rest at home. <<
>> You are going now? << the children said disappointed.
It is about time! the sorceress thought, glad to hear that she could get away of these children.
>> Don’t be sad; next time I’ll come with another story. << Uncle Ben promised.
>> Ah! Misty, I’ll let you here. << he added.
>> Me! Why, Uncle Ben? << Misty said startled.
>> Hohoho, don’t be afraid, I think you will have a lot of fun to play with your new friends. << he said.
>> And honestly, << the old man whispered into her ear, >> you don’t want to keep company with Abigail when she is bored. <<
>> Why are you leaving me alone? << the girl wanted to say, but her former adult’s pride didn’t allowed her to bring it out of her throat.
Uncle Ben tapped Mist’s head and went.
Go away, the girl thought angrily, who needs this old man anyway.

>> Come! Let us play << giggled the blond girl and took her hand to pulled her to the others.
She told her name, but her name was so strange that the sorceress has forgotten it again; she was also not interested to know her name.
>> Let us play rope skipping. << another girl said to the blond girl.
>> Oh, yes! Come, Misty. You first. << the blond girl jumped excited.
>> If nothing more than this. << the sorceress said not very responsive.
The two girls were rowing the rope and chanting a childish song to it while Misty jumped.
The first few jumps the sorceress took it easily but then she ran out of steam and stumbled over the rope and nearly felt down.
Misty was gasping; she wasn’t used to such keeping-fit games. The sorceress had it in front of her eyes how comfortable she had lived as an adult and as a result she had neither physically strength nor stamina.
>> I have enough of this game, I’ll pass. <<
>> Please stay and play with us, next time you will make it better. << the blonde girl tired to encourage her.
>> Thanks but no thanks, but I would like to play something else. << the sorceress resorted in this excuse.
The blonde girl looked sadly.

>> Maybe you want to play with us. << Pago offered her, who had just waited the right moment. >> We are playing adventurers. <<
>> And if I refuse? << the girl responded
>> Then you can go back again to the girls. <<
>> We also want to play adventurers << the girls said.
>> Or at least the beautiful ladies who accompanies them. << another girl shouted.
>> Correction, now you have no other choice because now we all play this game. << Pago smirked.
Stupid girls, couldn’t they play with their dolls. the sorceress thought angrily.
>> And how does this game works exactly? << Misty asked.
>> It is simple. I am the leader and the others adventurers follow me to seek treasures. <<
>> Wait! Who has chosen you to the leader? << the girl asked distrustfully.
That’s what you would like to, commanding me around, but only in you dreams.
>> It has already been decided. << Pago answered, and behind majority of children who had voted for him.
>> And who was the second candidate? << Misty encountered; making Pago’s smiling face grim.
>> You are asking stupid questions. I have the majority, so what is the use to have a second candidate? <<
>> How can you call it then a vote without a second opponent? <<
>> Because it has been decided. <<
>> Of course you have the majority if you are the only candidate. So your vote is null and void. << the girl explained plainly with her forefinger.
>> You little … ! << Pago’s face turned to an annoyed grimace. >> And what are you expecting to do? <<
>> To vote again, but this time fair! <<
>> Against whom, you? <<
>> Sure! If there is nobody else. <<
>> You will regret this, << Pago sneered, >> no boy would give his voice to a girl. <<
>> And what about the girls? <<
>> Girls don’t apply. <<
>> If you want to have some beautiful girls to admire you adventurers then you better let us vote. <<

>> Yes! That’s right! We want to vote, too. << a girl shouted.
Unwillingly Pago admitted.
>> Then let us vote. << he said. >> Who is for me, hand up! <<
The most boys on his side raised their hands.

>> All who want to have a capable leader and rich treasures for all, hands up for me! << Misty shouted before Pago could make her exclamation.
But no one moved his arm.
>> Ha-ha! Won! Happy now! << Pago jumped exultant.

>> What has come over you? First I’m trying hard to give you the right to vote and then you nip. << Misty said aghast to the girls.
>> Well, it was better to let him win. << the blonde girl told to her quietly. >> He wanted so dearly be the leader, so why making him unhappy? <<
You girls are so dumb. the sorceress thought on edged, couldn’t believe why someone would want a jerk like him as a leader?
>> Adventurers! March forth! << Pago gave the command, and all children followed him.

They came to a place near the town’s famous fountain of youth.
>> I feel we are near our goal, but peril lurks at every corner. << Pago spoke.
The only peril in this adventure is your boring blabber, Misty thought.
She remembered that they had fought a dragon which was in fact a creeping plant, a wild beast that was nothing but a cat, who stampeded away in panic when the children attacked. And all the time Pago was the great hero – sickening boring.
Misty, however, couldn’t also deny herself to give her comments like:
>> Huh! Maybe we can fight next time against a real dragon. << or
>> I don’t know who was more afraid, me or the cat. <<
For some children these words were more annoying than Pago’s “heroism”.

>> We need to reconnoitre the situation! Awren, climb on this wall and tell us what you see. <<
>> No, I don’t want to. << he replied.
>> What! You dare to disobey your leader. <<
Pago grabbed the boy by the scruff of the neck.
>> You know exactly that I’m afraid of the height. << Awren defended himself.
>> Leave him alone. Don’t force him if he doesn’t want to. << the blond girl said.
>> No, this weakling must learn what it takes to be a man. <<
>> And why don’t you go up the wall and proves it by yourself, you fearless leader. <<
>> You again! Do you have fun annoying me! <<
>> Honestly, yes! In both cases. << the girl said. >> You are so busy bullying around that you even not recognise yourself what kind of a coward you are. <<

Misty felt sorry for Awren, but she didn’t meddle in their quarrel because the boy defended her once against Pago, but having a reason to take on with this wannabe leader.
Wrathfully he let Awren go and paid his full attention to the girl.
>> I have enough that you always trying to disturb us at playing. <<
>> And I have enough of you. <<
>> Don’t mock me! << Pago shouted and pushed the girl who fall a few steps backward. >> Who do you think you are? <<
>> Hey! I am the oldest one of you all, so have more respect to elderly. <<
>> Who is the eldest of us all? << the boy grinned barefaced.
Measured by height, the sorceress was the smallest beyond the children and therefore most likely the youngest.
>> If I see it right, I’m not only older and bigger, I’m also a man, so little girls should listen to big boys as you have said yourself. <<
This time Pago nailed her and there was no answer she could give back.
>> Does your mother know about your unacceptable behaviour? << the sorceress tried with another tactic, but she had already lost her expressiveness.

>> You talk like an adult, you behave like an adult, but you are not nearly one of the grown-ups. << Pago judged her. >> But for that we have a cure. <<
Then a boy packed her arms from behind and Pago grabbed her on her legs.
>> Put your hands off me you little rats! << the sorceress screamed and fidget, but resistant was useless.
The boys carried her to the fountain.
>> She deserves it. << the girl could hear a boy saying.
>> She wasn’t nice. << a girl admitted.
>> She didn’t want to play with us rope skipping. << another girl said next to her friend.

>> You see, I have told you before it is not over, wench. << Pago said, seeming to have planned this all from the beginning. >> Now it is payback time. <<
>> I make sure you will pay for this. << Misty threatened, but the boys already hauled off for her flight.
With a scream she was pep up in the air and splashed into the water. Going up over the water again, Misty gasped for breath.
The fountain wasn’t deep so she could stand and collected her sandals that were swimming on the surface.
Angrily the sorceress dropped off the fountain.

>> That is enough! << she cried.
She was sick of these humiliating treatments by everyone; beginning from some low-minded so-called adults to old gramps and currently now from these none-hilarious midgets.
She didn’t has to acquiesce this, she only wanted to get back her adulthood.
Damn this Azura, with or without her necklace, this wasn’t worth it, even if she would come at last.
Wet and furious she left.
>> Now don’t be so moping. << one of the boys said.
>> Right, it was just fun. << said another.
But Misty just ignored them and kept moving.
>> Listen. We are sorry. We didn’t mean no harm. << said the blond girl who gnawed at her consciousness.
>> Leave her, if she wants to. << retained her female friend. >> We are better off without her. <<
The sorceress didn’t even looked back and just headed to the town’s gate. For the girl who really felt miserable about her she didn’t care.

It is noon, and not later than evening I will be grown up again. Then I will finally tell the Orcs to launch the attack of this town! the sorceress was looking forward to.
In fact she could have save this whole little adventure, she knew where the party was, even a sorceress like Azura couldn’t stand such an attack. And alone Azura weren’t able to do anything against her without the party.
Why didn’t I come to this idea erstwhile? the girl wondered.
But except the awkward parts it was fun, the girl regretted a bid.

The girl reached the gate.
>> It’s time to say farewell to this town. << the little sorceress said to herself ambiguous, knowing that this town wouldn’t exist if she returns.
She already wanted to cross the gates when a guard blocked her from crossing.
>> Let me out! << the girl clamoured, an ill sensation ran through her body that told her that she would be in a distressed situation again.
>> Sorry, but the road to the exit is closed! << he said.
>> Why? << the sorceress said shocked.
>> Orcs, << was the answer, >> they loaf here around for days, it is said. So you can go in but not out of the town until this situation is stated clear. <<
>> What are you telling, I have seen some carriage and riders leaving this town right now. << the girl protested.
>> Yes, << the guard said, >> but horses and wagons are faster than Orcs, so they can safely return to the town in an emergency, unlike people – or girls - on foot. <<
Misty’s heart was beating heavily for her helplessness while she still looked up like glued to the guard.
>> But you see that these people are an exception because we still need farmer and merchants to refill our storage and warehouses. <<
The girl didn’t really pay attention what the guard said, she was lost in her own thoughts.
Orcs, her body quaked of uncontrolled tension, what are they doing here. Didn’t have I told these idiots not to do anything until I’m saying that the right time is ready?
>> Please, let me pass. << the girl begged. >> I will promise that I won’t go too far. <<
The guard laughed: >> What do you want outside anyway? Playing? This you can do as well inside. <<
>> You are sure that there Orcs outside? <<
>> Honestly, I think this whole think is a hoax. << the guard confessed her. >> A peasant once saw an Orc and it turned up a scarecrow which some kids put behind some trees in a path through the woods. <<
>> So nobody really saw them, then I can go out and quickly pick some flowers. It won’t take long << the girl didn’t give up.
>> If it’s me I wouldn’t begrudge you, but I don’t want to be taken responsible if something happens to you. And if the captain find out he will get my ass. <<

>> What’s going on there? << another guard said who walked out of the guard barracks right next to the gate.
The sorceress recognised him at once; it was the bard from the day before.
>> Hey! You are the cutie from yesterday. << he greeted.
>> Who? << the guard asked.
>> Not so important. << he retorted. >> But you should really join us when we are out to the taverns, or you miss the best by sitting on your hoard. <<
>> There is a better way to spend money than to booze them in some inns, you know. << the man grumbled
>> Well! Well! Everyone’s his way. << the bard said. >> I hope you didn’t want to allow this girl to go outside. <<
>> And disobeying the captain’s order, not even in my dreams. << he snarled. >> Speaking of the devil, did the captain returned? <<
>> No, the captain has not returned yet, but I can imagine that Abigail gave him a hard time last night. << the bard grinned.
So much for that that this is a descent tavern, the sorceress thought about the waitress words and the reason why she didn’t want to have the girl in her bedroom. <<

>> Why don’t you come in? << the bard asked. >> We don’t get visit from a beautiful lady every day. <<
With this compliment the girl couldn’t refuse his offer and the bard took her to the guard barrack.
>> Gentlemen, behave and show your best manner, because we have a guest, a cute lady not to forget to mention. << the bard introduced the girl.
The guards welcomed the adorable girl and someone took her on his laps.
Misty was soon swamped with nice words and candies.
>> You are like my little girl, << a guard compared her dreamily with his daughter, >> she must be also in your age. <<

Misty looked at the strange smelling black brew of the guard’s mug on whose lap she was sitting.
>> Here, drink this, makes you easy! << the guard offered, noticed that the girl was curious about his mug’s liquid.
Why not, the sorceress thought, after all what happened to me I could take a sip.
The girl took with both hands the mug and drank, but caught and breathe heavily when the brew flows burning through her throat. She wasn’t used to alcohol as a child and this stuff was strong, too.
>> Have you lost your mind letting a child drink this stuff? <<
>> A little bit won’t hurt. << the guard with the mug played down.
>> Do you really want trouble with Uncle Ben? << admonished a guard on the table.
>> She belongs to Uncle Ben? Then that must be the new girl everyone is talking about. << said another.
>> Oh, that is “little Abigail”? She’s really cute like her and looks familiar her when she have this serious keen look in her eyes. << the guard with the mug said.
>> I ain't like her, so stop call me after this stupid person. <<
>> Right, you are much nicer. << he laughed.
>> How shall we call you then? <<
>> Misty (your mistress, even if you don’t know it, yet). <<
>> Okay, then its “little Misty“. <<
>> Can you dance for us on the table again? << the bard asked.
>> Please girl, we are on duty and are not allowed to leave our dull posts and worse we are bored to dead. << another guard begged.
>> Good idea! If we cannot go to the tavern, the tavern comes to us. <<
The guards tried to encourage her nicely to follow their biddings. It was strange but the sorceress would have a bad feeling if she didn’t give in the guards’ request. Probably she thought unconsciously that the guards wouldn’t like her anymore.
Then she persuade herself that it was better to make the guards to her friends, who knows, maybe they could appeared her as handy.

Without saying a word the little sorceress climbed barefooted on the table. The guards applauded her to this decision.
>> But only because I like you guys. << the girl said coaxingly, knowing what boys want to hear.
The bard snatch up his harp and picked on its strings to tune it:

>> The Orcs may come,
our wives cry,
but we sit here,
with dance and chant. <<

And before the bard began to play, some other soldiers picked up from nowhere a flute and a lute.
>> Now we have to make Abigail come here to serve us some ale. << a guard said jestingly. The other guards admitted his recommendation by laughing loudly.

Then the melody flows in the room in an unusual but a regular rhythm, seeming to follow its own magic. A flute, a harp and a lute – three quite different instruments that didn’t fit so each sound, merged to a unit with an extraordinary exotic but beautiful tune.
The combined rhythm pervaded Misty’s body and she was forced to lift up one toe to another, moving her body due to the music. From the music enchained, the little girl did to what she was ordered by the melody and kicked her legs higher and higher, she even had to lift her rag to avoid stumbling.
>> Higher! Higher! Move the legs higher! << were the encouraging words from her audience.
With some “Ohhh”s and “Ahhh“s on the amazed men faces the girl noticed that their eyes were fixed under her rag.
Then she stopped dancing when she remembered that she had forgotten about that she weren’t wearing any knickers and the guards had a good view down there.
Screamingly she closed her legs and put her hands on her laps.
>> What you think what you are doing? << the girl blushed red, the musicians stopped playing.
>> Nothing you were ready to show us. << a guard back talked and the other laughed.
>> You tricked me to look at my panties. <<
>> We merely asked you to dance, is it our fault if you kick your legs too high? <<
>> No! That’s not true! It wasn’t my fault. <<
What I am doing? the sorceress thought. Letting men seeing what they desire was her way to seduce them and now she was overreacting.
It wasn’t wise to threw away the chance to pursuit t he guard to leave the town.
>> Sorry, I didn’t mean to bawl at you. << the girl apologised abashed.
>> It’s okay, lass. << the guards said, thinking that she was looking now even cuter. >> Wanna dance again? <<

>> Hide the drinks and be on your posts! The captain is coming. << warned a guard.
Everyone was now busy cleaning up the mess and stashed away any evidence of joy or alcohol.
>> Man, the captain mustn’t find out that we had a party without him. << the bard said and lifted the girl from the table.
>> Sorry girl, but you must take a leave through the windows, because our captain is stern and easily suspicious. Please come another time again, we would be pleased to. << the bard excused before the girl had a chance to say a word.
Quickly the bard took her through the window.
>> Wait! My shoes! << Misty replied.
The bard fetched her sandals, gave it the girl and poured from a cup coins into her folded palms.
>> A little something from the elite guard of Yornick. << the bard bid farewell to the surprised girl, and swiftly closed the windows.
>> Attention! << she could hear the military voice of the captain who has just arrived.
Well, the girl thought, as least I didn’t go empty handed.
It was good to have some coins in the pocket, because being without money is like to be a fish without water; and stored them in her bag under her dress.
But the sorceress wasn’t happy after all; she was standing to the same problem as before.
>> Now I have to stay another day in this town and must take Uncle Ben’s kindness and Abigail’s slavery to stay in the tavern. << she said sadly to herself. She regretted it that she had cursed herself into a girl and wished she had never done it and will never do such a stupid thing ever again.

Misty walked alongside the road. She didn’t want to return to the tavern, she wasn’t in a mood to work. Instead she tried to find a way out of her misery.
This wasn’t easy, because it was hot in the town, even though she walked on the shadow. The midday sun invited to doze. Only the mild wind made this climate a bit bearable.
When she found next to the many roads an alley, the girl felt that this side street was pleasantly cool. On this dead end a lot of bulky waste like boards lend on the wall.
There was also a mattress lying on the ground, it seems even clean.

It won’t harm if I lay down for a while. The tired sorceress thought, she didn’t recovered fully from the unexpected efforts and the short sleep thanks Abigail.
Misty slipped her sandals, put them next to the mattress and laid there.
It took not long and the girl snoozed into a deep sleep.
Captain Ash is offline   Reply With Quote