free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - New Smash Bros!
Thread: New Smash Bros!
View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2014   #91
CaptainXero
Enjoys the Finer Things

Re: New Smash Bros!

I can kinda see why they took out Pokemon Trainer(Red)

When you look back at Brawl, you had 5 Gen-1 representatives (6 if you count Red himself) and then Lucario, who was there to show off the at the time current Gen (as well as to replace Mewtwo :/)

So it makes sense to have a character to show off the current generation, as well as to not have such a large cast of the Pokemon characters being set from the same era (Even if it's the best one :P) Plus, I assume we will have the known release date for "Pokemon Z" by the time the Wii U version is released, so it's a product placement thing.

Speaking of product placement, Charizard and Lucario. If it wasn't for the fact that they were given mega forms, they might've not been considered either. Lucario had a greater chance of staying in, though they could've replaced him with Mewtwo now that they're on equal footing. And as much as I love Charizard, he probably would've been cut, even though I feel he has a very unique character build (Large/Heavy floaty character, only Dedede is that similar, and they were both just added in Brawl) So i'm happy to see Charizard back in the fold, and no longer weighted down by that "Fatigue" system that came with Pokemon Trainer (The only thing that made me dislike Red to begin with)

In regards to Greninja, I think it's a good choice. Rosalina is kind of the "Mage-ish" type character, and with Charizard reppin' the Fire types, Delphox wasn't needed, and we have enough big brutes to kick Chessnaught to the curb (Plus his oddly similar appearance to Bowser may have been a deciding factor.) Greninja seems to be, at least gameplay wise, our new Squirtle, a small, fast fighter, so I actually quite like it.