free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - If Attack of the 50 Foot Woman gets a reboot.
View Single Post
Unread 10-16-2018   #27
Twilight_Roxas
Process Master

Re: If Attack of the 50 Foot Woman gets a reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmagnon View Post
Hey, hope you don't mind someone else butting in, but this thread got me thinking about the possible themes that would make a premise like this more suited to modern issues.

Overall, I agree with the idea that the Nancy character should be the protagonist rather than the source of fear. If anything, I'd say that the story should be themed around exploitation. (No, not THAT kind of exploitation, though I certainly don't have anything against a bit of fanservice. Please bear with me here.)

Monster-verse version: Let's say they try to fit her in with the other kaiju. Whatever triggers her growth would be connected in some way to the kaiju, perhaps with some other slight mutations as time goes by that, along with the size creating distance between herself and others, would cause Nancy herself to question her sense of humanity. She would be taken in by a powerful group offering her financial support, and in exchange they would turn her into a symbol of humanity's strength against the monsters. They outfit her with armor and weaponry, basically turning her into a human Jaeger, and aside from having to deal with the horror of being the only person able to battle giant monsters, she'd be the focus of a propaganda campaign (likely with a side of cheesecake) proclaiming her and her handlers as the hope of the world. But as the movie progressed, it would become more and more apparent that she was being used, not so much to protect humanity in general, but more to protect the interests of her handlers while the less affluent are allowed to suffer. Perhaps someone from MONARCH infiltrates the group to provide this revelation. It forces her to consider what she actually stands for, and ultimately leads to her deciding that she's strong enough to pick her own fights.

Stand-alone: Overall thematic similarities to the above version, but obviously without the kaiju or turning her into a walking armory. Rather, she's offered a comfortable life in exchange for serving as a mascot. She performs various tasks, starting out entirely harmless enough, but her image starts getting used more and more as a symbol of dominance over the organization's workforce in a "don't complain because we have someone who can very literally crush you" sort of way. Maybe she even ends up facing serious temptation to go along with it once it's made clear to her, seeing as the organization's backing and her size offer her a way of exerting wealth and power in ways she never had before. Either way, she ends up deciding that her handlers need her more than she needs them, with the question being whether she'll quit and stand for something more altruistic at the cost of her life of luxury, maintain the status quo, or go for her own "hostile takeover".
That looks great. But now her backstory of leading to her trigger growth. One I mention is her being a reporter who was covering the Kaijus along with her parents killed in a accident like the nuclear planet collapse in Japan when she was young unless her parents are secretly Monarch members, and Monarch secretly cover-up there deaths, and the incident. Plus a post-credit scene could also have someone contacting her with a hint of her debut. The monsterverse Nancy would be like MCU's Captain America/Captain Marvel, and DCEU's Wonder Woman for the protagonist role.

Last edited by Twilight_Roxas; 10-16-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Twilight_Roxas is offline   Reply With Quote