free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Big Girls by Image Comics
View Single Post
Unread 09-01-2020   #7
ryantherebel
Frequent Poster

Re: Big Girls by Image Comics

I ended up buying the first issue of Big Girls from my local comic shop, and I have some thoughts about it.

First off, it is most defiantly not a fetish comic. This is a comic that is setting out to tell a story. I personally can't t judge that story just yet, because the first issue is ultimately about setting the tone for the series, and what is at stake. I'm not sure if we'll have a flash back slow growth sequence but I kind of doubt it.

If nothing else I'm willing to pickup the second issue for two reasons:

1. The first issue keeps the exposition of what just happened to create the giant monsters and giant women vague and to a minimum. As much as i'm a sci-fi buff, I hate long winded exposition and self-indulgent world-building that grinds the story to halt. Big Girls from my end, seems to be taking it's exposition cues from stuff like Mad Max were you get little bits and pieces to flesh out a richer picture.

2. It's dark, but it's not edge-lord dark. When people complain about a work being "dark and gritty" it's usually because the darkness and grittiness doesn't come from anywhere genuine. It exits that way either for marketing purposes or for the creator's self-satisfaction. The reason why what happens in this issue is so effective is because it comes from a place of empathy. There is a point to it all, and I hope that point develops well beyond the first issue.