free hit counters
Lucky Mallet - Shrink Fan Comics - Page 3 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Shrinking Process

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 07-06-2019   #25
CinderBH
Process Fan

Re: Lucky Mallet - Shrink Fan Comics

Background notes no one cares about:

The mallet is based on the golden mallet belonging to Daikokuten, god of commerce and wealth and one of the Seven Gods of Fortune. With one shake it can make gold coins appear or grant any wish.

It appears several times in popular tales, but most famously in Issun-boushi: at the end of the story the titular one-inch hero obtains the mallet after defeating two oni, and makes a wish on it to become a boy of average height. From that comes the mallet's association with size-changing.
CinderBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2019   #26
Captain Ash
Adventurer

The story begins with a very atmospheric introduction.
An ancient shrine. Night. Somewhere in Japan.
This same very shrine is assaulted by a mysteriously half-naked woman. The female guardians, who seem to have expected the intruder, are no match for her, as they immediately shrink into their clothes.
Having so many women not only be shrunken but also in a sexy and creative way in the first few pages of an introduction is record-breaking!
A very successful introduction of the villain and of the story. Those magical girls / shrine maiden reminds of animes like “Devil Hunter Yohko”.

To the female Oni’s dismay (an Oni is in Japanese mythology an evil spirit or demon), the weapon she seeks is already passed to another person.
However, this scene leaves the reader with some open questions.
Why couldn’t the shrine maidens protect this valuable artifact as they seem to be successful in the past?
Why does it have to be Momo?
Is she related to anyone of these shrine maidens?
All those questions vanish, however, if you look at the beautiful artwork of Hmage, the same artist who drew for “The Invisible Girl”. As known from the artist, the backgrounds and little details are awe-inspiring.
The characters like Momo and Karen are well drawn and each one has a unique personality and even Karen feels more like a side-kick but a significance to the story and the main character.

Although this comic has a lot of beautiful shrinking and action scenes, it also has some flaws like the ending.
Sure a complex story cannot be pressed into 15 pages, but there is a difference to end a story to a satisfying point and to create a cliffhanger, as the purpose of a cliffhanger is to create excitement and anticipation for the next issue instead of frustration.
Building a cliffhanger, where the heroes are still in the middle of a fight against a mere minion, is a mistake.

If this fight were against Megiji herself, it would would be justified.
Here the reader is missing the last two pages, how our heroine would defeat Megiji’s minion.
There is nothing wrong to finish one chapter and continue with the story in the next issue.

Summary:
Despite some minor details and the cliffhanger in the ending, I’ve enjoyed reading this comic.
I adored Karen’s shrunken part, which is my favorite part in this story.
I hope that the next issue will reveal some of the unanswered questions of this first issue.
Captain Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2019   #27
Captain Ash
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderBH View Post
Background notes no one cares about:

The mallet is based on the golden mallet belonging to Daikokuten, god of commerce and wealth and one of the Seven Gods of Fortune. With one shake it can make gold coins appear or grant any wish.

It appears several times in popular tales, but most famously in Issun-boushi: at the end of the story the titular one-inch hero obtains the mallet after defeating two oni, and makes a wish on it to become a boy of average height. From that comes the mallet's association with size-changing.
Thank you for this cultural background. Didn't know that.
Could you provide us with a link where we can read this story?

Greetings
Captain Ash
Captain Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019   #28
theangelofdeath1986
gun for hire

Slightly off topic but who can I speak to about being charged but my account shows as needs to subscribe again? Tried the contact us a couple times but never get a reply
theangelofdeath1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019   #29
AB23
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ash View Post
Thank you for this cultural background. Didn't know that.
Could you provide us with a link where we can read this story?

Greetings
Captain Ash
http://japanfolklore.blogspot.com/20...sun-boshi.html
AB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019   #30
J Yubari
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangelofdeath1986 View Post
Slightly off topic but who can I speak to about being charged but my account shows as needs to subscribe again? Tried the contact us a couple times but never get a reply
Yes, I'm able to help you with this. Firstly, did you try to get in touch with us using the contact form (located here: https://www.shrinkfan.com/contact) ? I check the support email regularly and didn't see a message from you...

Please send an email with your username/details to support@interwebcomics.com we'll get it sorted out.
Unread 07-07-2019   #31
theangelofdeath1986
gun for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Yubari View Post
Yes, I'm able to help you with this. Firstly, did you try to get in touch with us using the contact form (located here: https://www.shrinkfan.com/contact) ? I check the support email regularly and didn't see a message from you...

Please send an email with your username/details to support@interwebcomics.com we'll get it sorted out.
Did the first option straight away. Just sent an email now. Thank you in advance
theangelofdeath1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019   #32
J Yubari
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangelofdeath1986 View Post
Did the first option straight away. Just sent an email now. Thank you in advance
Responded! You should be good to go now.