free hit counters
Race Change - Page 21 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > And Everything Else...

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 02-09-2014   #241
Katsumend
Frequent Poster

Re: Race Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbypan View Post
Hmm, well, this is very old, from late 2000 or early 2001. Not sure why I never posted this, but here is Bojay's interpretation of "Francesca". Hope you all like it.
Wow!! I've never seen that, thanks for posting it
Unread 02-09-2014   #242
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbypan View Post
Bojay has his own section on the ARarchive, so you may be able to contact him through that. When I was commissioning him years ago, we used regular mail. I'm not sure if he has an official email now, but Heidegger at the ARchive would most likely know.
Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014   #243
Bobbypan
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumend View Post
Wow!! I've never seen that, thanks for posting it
Glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto View Post
Thanks, I'll give it a go.
You're welcome.
Bobbypan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014   #244
babblingfaces
Frequent Poster

So, I've just come up with an idea for a racial change set in a fantasy world and featuring my recurring character, Leona. However, I'm having some doubts regarding how to portray matters related to ethnicity and culture in a fantastic context: The TF is obviously to a Japanese woman, yet in the context of this world, there is no Japan or Europe per se. In these terms I would rather not use Japanese as a foreign language, even when using English as a sort of "common" tongue. Essentially, there would be a progressive change from one language to the other, with the parts that cannot be understood not being understood by the reader either. Anyways, how do you guys feel about this, and how would you approach all of this as well? What would you place instead of foreign speech to signify the character is hearing something that is incomprehensible to her? Also, what do you guys think of Asian TFs that involve broken English (that is properly "broken", not "bloken")?
babblingfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014   #245
Snowglare
Process Master

You could use gibberish or symbols (e.g. kanji or hiragana) instead of Western-style letters. Words could turn backwards or upside-down, scrambled, periodically replaced by random words that make no sense in context. Any old nonsense'll do.

Or just use romanized Japanese. There's no reason for characters in Final Fantasy to speak an Earth-based language, and no reason not to. The original games are all in Japanese before translating to foreign tongues.

I guess I could take or leave broken English? It can work when it's done well. Depends on the context, but it's vaguely insulting in general. I tend to prefer people speaking one language fluently, rather than mashing two together in some awkward lingual sandwich.
Snowglare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014   #246
Crash Ichimonji
Perverted Asexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by babblingfaces View Post
So, I've just come up with an idea for a racial change set in a fantasy world and featuring my recurring character, Leona. However, I'm having some doubts regarding how to portray matters related to ethnicity and culture in a fantastic context: The TF is obviously to a Japanese woman, yet in the context of this world, there is no Japan or Europe per se. In these terms I would rather not use Japanese as a foreign language, even when using English as a sort of "common" tongue. Essentially, there would be a progressive change from one language to the other, with the parts that cannot be understood not being understood by the reader either. Anyways, how do you guys feel about this, and how would you approach all of this as well? What would you place instead of foreign speech to signify the character is hearing something that is incomprehensible to her? Also, what do you guys think of Asian TFs that involve broken English (that is properly "broken", not "bloken")?
Is this going to be a visual sequence or a written one? If it's visual but with speech-bubbles, just make up symbols for actual Roman letters that look nothing like real letters in our alphabet.

If you need a fictitious 'foreign' language, I've been working on an auxiliary language for a while that I'd be happy to let you use. It's a bastardization of Latin, Ancient Greek, and a mish-mash of Slavic-based words with a grammar, conjugation, and declension of its own. Even when spelled in Roman letters it still looks different than all the languages involved mostly.
Basically

Missa the host
a rental van with 10 fetishists aboard
a film crew
a road map of tf shrines and areas of interest
and drive the van and its fetishists around to f/x labs,
Sleepy Hollow,etc as the passengers discuss their fetish

IOW
turn the camera on yourselfs to make a documentary about
your RL kinks due to the fetish
Crash Ichimonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014   #247
TGManiac
Process Master

I know there was a race change in Sabrina the teenage witch tv show.
TGManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014   #248
babblingfaces
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglare View Post
You could use gibberish or symbols (e.g. kanji or hiragana) instead of Western-style letters. Words could turn backwards or upside-down, scrambled, periodically replaced by random words that make no sense in context. Any old nonsense'll do.

Or just use romanized Japanese. There's no reason for characters in Final Fantasy to speak an Earth-based language, and no reason not to. The original games are all in Japanese before translating to foreign tongues.

I guess I could take or leave broken English? It can work when it's done well. Depends on the context, but it's vaguely insulting in general. I tend to prefer people speaking one language fluently, rather than mashing two together in some awkward lingual sandwich.
Mostly my idea was to have an occasional error in syntax and conjugation as well as a general directness and economy of words more so than straight-out "me no speakee Engrish, me folein" sort of stuff.

A problem I have with straight-out writing Japanese, besides the fact that I don't speak the language myself, is that it makes itself readable and understandable to those that do, as if the character were able to at the least distinguish words and sounds from one another, where in actuality when we listen to a foreign language we cannot immediately pick up on sounds, repetitions or any actual form, and it is all just an unintelligible mass to our ears. But I'll look into the idea of inverting kanjis and so on to give the impression of unintelligible dialogue, thanks.
Unread 03-14-2014   #249
babblingfaces
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Ichimonji View Post
Is this going to be a visual sequence or a written one? If it's visual but with speech-bubbles, just make up symbols for actual Roman letters that look nothing like real letters in our alphabet.

If you need a fictitious 'foreign' language, I've been working on an auxiliary language for a while that I'd be happy to let you use. It's a bastardization of Latin, Ancient Greek, and a mish-mash of Slavic-based words with a grammar, conjugation, and declension of its own. Even when spelled in Roman letters it still looks different than all the languages involved mostly.
I'd be interested in seeing that ficticious language, sure!
Unread 03-14-2014   #250
Crash Ichimonji
Perverted Asexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by babblingfaces View Post
I'd be interested in seeing that ficticious language, sure!
Okay then. Here's a few samples. I'll try to add an audio file of all these phrases spoken in the language for pronunciation.

English:
Bring the dog inside or it will freeze.

Makūlorata:
Fero sīna in ort crīosi'ne.

English:
Oh say, can you see by the dawn's early light?

Makūlorata:
O dico, posocūlo'ye ab eosī prim luma nen?

English:
I was their leader before that great war.

Makūlorata:
Ja'me illī duxa anter shtet magn bela.

English:
It's good to see you again, old friend.

Makūlorata:
Jo'ne ū ocūle yi snov, arc priatila.
Basically

Missa the host
a rental van with 10 fetishists aboard
a film crew
a road map of tf shrines and areas of interest
and drive the van and its fetishists around to f/x labs,
Sleepy Hollow,etc as the passengers discuss their fetish

IOW
turn the camera on yourselfs to make a documentary about
your RL kinks due to the fetish

Last edited by Crash Ichimonji; 03-15-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Crash Ichimonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014   #251
babblingfaces
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Ichimonji View Post
Okay then. Here's a few samples. I'll try to add an audio file of all these phrases spoken in the language for pronunciation.

English:
Bring the dog inside or it will freeze.

Makūlorata:
Fero sīna in ort crīosi'ne.

English:
Oh say, can you see by the dawn's early light?

Makūlorata:
O dico, posocūlo'ye ab eosī prim luma nen?

English:
I was their leader before that great war.

Makūlorata:
Ja'me illī duxa anter shtet magn bela.

English:
It's good to see you again, old friend.

Makūlorata:
Jo'ne ū ocūle yi snov, arc priatila.
Hey, apologies for the delayed response. I think that's quite good, and it gave me some ideas for my comic. I won't use the language exactly as is because it doesn't quite have the sound I'm looking for, but it was still helpful. Thanks!

On the subject of Asian TFs, has inkyleaf's tumblr been posted already? Some great stuff there:

http://inkyleaf.tumblr.com/
Unread 03-30-2014   #252
jean paul donaire
marcus

look what I found over cheeseburger
http://cheezburger.com/224261
jean paul donaire is offline   Reply With Quote