free hit counters
Jupiter Ascending Animal Spliced people - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > And Everything Else...

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 04-20-2015   #1
kghost74
The Ghost of TF

Jupiter Ascending Animal Spliced people

I'm not sure if anyone has seen Jupiter Ascending, but I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.... Well I found it floating among the interwebs and while watching (I'm paused halfway ), I discovered the there are some TF elements to the movie.

Throughout the movie various characters such as Channing Tatum's and more have long or pointy ears....

The story is that human genes were spliced with animal genes to create soldiers, helpers, etc... So Channing Tatum's character is a human spliced with a Wolf Like animal. There are others that resemble rodents, ive seen an elephant, and surely more.

Grabbed a couple pictures to share. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JA-Rab-splice.jpg (47.5 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg JA-Rab-splice2.jpg (49.3 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg JA-Owl Splice.jpg (42.8 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg JA-Elephat Splice.jpg (24.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg JA-Goatlike Splice.jpg (54.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg JA-Rat Splice.jpg (44.7 KB, 186 views)
Unread 04-21-2015   #2
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

Re: Jupiter Ascending Animal Spliced people

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghost74 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has seen Jupiter Ascending, but I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.... Well I found it floating among the interwebs and while watching (I'm paused halfway ), I discovered the there are some TF elements to the movie.

Throughout the movie various characters such as Channing Tatum's and more have long or pointy ears....

The story is that human genes were spliced with animal genes to create soldiers, helpers, etc... So Channing Tatum's character is a human spliced with a Wolf Like animal. There are others that resemble rodents, ive seen an elephant, and surely more.

Grabbed a couple pictures to share. Enjoy!
I enjoyed the movie a lot in the theater. Waiting for the BR.

Donate to support an artist!
thrandrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015   #3
Ironhorse
Would be Evil Mastermind

From the previews, the plot is somewhat non-sensical but I heard the movie is quite pretty. Too bad they couldn't delve more into the backstory for the massive gene splicing operations. It would be more interesting then space Oedipus.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015   #4
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
From the previews, the plot is somewhat non-sensical but I heard the movie is quite pretty. Too bad they couldn't delve more into the backstory for the massive gene splicing operations. It would be more interesting then space Oedipus.
Visuals are incredible in general - pretty much what I imagine when I read Iain Bank's "Culture" novels - orbitals, enormous ships, drones, etc. Although some of the ship designs seemed a little too weird/impractical for me.

But yeah, the hybrids are really just generally different levels of indentured servitude/service/etc - compared to the original humans (or at least the more "evolved" ones - who didn't originate on Earth. There were some really original designs though, but a lot are "blink and you'll miss 'em" appearances - might be more on the BR though - from the Amazon description, there appears to at least be a featurette listed: Jupiter Ascending: Genetically Spliced

Oh yeah - excellent cameo by Terry Gilliam in the heraldry office.

Unread 06-12-2015   #5
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

Well, the special feature on the blu-ray - doesn't have any real process, but there are a few nice close-up shots and more lingering images of a number of animal-girls that you don't really get a clear view of during the movie.

Most of the featured characters are males, but there are some very interesting looks in different shots.

Unread 06-14-2015   #6
Ironhorse
Would be Evil Mastermind

Having seen the movie now my initial impression stands. The ships and set designs are very impressive, but the plot makes me scream "DNA does not work that way!".

I thought they could have done a better job leaving out the planet harvesting part or replacing it with something a bit more intelligent.

Also it does seem splices are second hand citizens, yet outnumber humans and the androids by a large margin.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2015   #7
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post

Also it does seem splices are second hand citizens, yet outnumber humans and the androids by a large margin.
Not unlike ancient Greece or Persia - of course the military caste has it's own precedents too.

I was surprised by the featurette too, as I didn't recognize Sean Bean's character as a splicer watching the movie - much less an insect hybrid, but the close-ups and context do make sense (not to mention his name).

But yeah...the harvesting thing seems weird...humans vaporizing other humans in order to re-use them seems kinda weird. Seems like it'd make more sense to try and work in something regarding water or other elements and/or a biological aspect somewhere else on the planet.

Unread 06-15-2015   #8
edinjapan
Akibakei

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrandrall View Post
Visuals are incredible in general - pretty much what I imagine when I read Iain Bank's "Culture" novels - orbitals, enormous ships, drones, etc. Although some of the ship designs seemed a little too weird/impractical for me.

But yeah, the hybrids are really just generally different levels of indentured servitude/service/etc - compared to the original humans (or at least the more "evolved" ones - who didn't originate on Earth. There were some really original designs though, but a lot are "blink and you'll miss 'em" appearances - might be more on the BR though - from the Amazon description, there appears to at least be a featurette listed: Jupiter Ascending: Genetically Spliced

Oh yeah - excellent cameo by Terry Gilliam in the heraldry office.
Thanks for the info on his books. I just did a quick search and they look interesting. Undoubtedly, there's a lot that is left out of the movie in the books.
Unread 06-16-2015   #9
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinjapan View Post
Thanks for the info on his books. I just did a quick search and they look interesting. Undoubtedly, there's a lot that is left out of the movie in the books.
The books by Iain Banks are not related at all to the movie.

Pretty sure the movie was an "original" story by the Wachowskis - but the visual concepts presented are what I tend to have in my minds eye when I read descriptions in Banks' books - see also "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge. Apologize for any confusion.