free hit counters
Awil remake female lead rumor - Page 3 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 08-01-2017   #25
bcislandguy
Process Fan

Re: Awil remake female lead rumor

The Biggest Issue that this film is going to face is a vast majority of men are not going to want to watch a woman as a hairy werewolf, its sorta the complete opposite of what society wants men to view as sexy, and they are not going to bring a date to see this movie so there is no real money to be made by the investors, this will be a cult film homage and is only going to make any in the download/stream/bluray format. Most female werewolves in movies are just an excuse for nudity without a complicated reason behind it, thats why in the werewolf movies that do get out are actress gets naked, you see some yellow eyes and claws and the change is mostly offscreen. Bitten did this and once we saw her naked the surprise was over and the rest of the show was meh
bcislandguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2017   #26
bcislandguy
Process Fan

This is the general idea of if this movie will be made

1) Can the movie get actors with box office draw and is the viewers interested in seeing them. What female actor will do nudity and have the credit of turning into a werewolf on her acting credits, if shes very popular there is money for investors but women doing horror movies is often a death sentence for a career in mainstream movies.

2) Does the movie plot and premise have a place in the market, mainstream horror at this time is more about jump scares and ghost/afterlife....after the failure of the new mummy film is the classic monster movie popular enough to warrant taking the risk.
Studios at this time are more into making multi movie universes rather than a standalone cult film isn't going to make them a lot of money, this is a passion project for a director and often those make no money
Unread 08-01-2017   #27
bcislandguy
Process Fan

Like imagine Landis going into a meeting with the studio, he would like sit down surrounded by men in their 70's and 80's that still rule the studio and a few millenials as well and say "Hey guys I want to make a blockbuster movie about a woman whos bit by a werewolf then she gets hairy loses her breasts and becomes a cgi looking werewolf and rips other people to shreds and eats them....but it will also be a love story with some guy and her trying to be a woman with this beast inside her and because shes a "monster" and not a sparkly vampire we have to kill her off in the end . But don't worry we will get a nude shot of her a few times over the film, I will need about 40+ million dollars to make it and we might break even on profits, so whos on board"......Even he knows this movie will never fly

Last edited by bcislandguy; 08-01-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Unread 08-01-2017   #28
thatnightwolf
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcislandguy View Post
Like imagine Landis going into a meeting with the studio, he would like sit down surrounded by men in their 70's and 80's that still rule the studio and a few millenials as well and say "Hey guys I want to make a blockbuster movie about a woman whos bit by a werewolf then she gets hairy loses her breasts and becomes a cgi looking werewolf and rips other people to shreds and eats them....but it will also be a love story with some guy and her trying to be a woman with this beast inside her and because shes a "monster" and not a sparkly vampire we have to kill her off in the end . But don't worry we will get a nude shot of her a few times over the film, I will need about 40+ million dollars to make it and we might break even on profits, so whos on board"......Even he knows this movie will never fly
It's kind of adorable that you think pitch meetings go down like that. You're too caught up in thinking about these things only from a fetish perspective. That happens a lot on this board. It's nobody's fault, but you need to look at these things from a different perspective to understand and maybe better gauge expectations. I know I've said this many times, but werewolf movies are not made with the interests of this community in mind. Nobody sits around deciding on the details that will best give us boners. Nudity in werewolf transformations usually stem from the logistical story point of dealing with a human turning into an animal. The person either keeps them on and shreds them or strips down to nothing to salvage them. Desired rating and budget usually dictates the extent of the transformation and nudity shown on screen, as well as how much the filmmaker believes it is in service to the story being told. Clothed TFs or offscreen TFs are usually done to be budget conscious or perhaps the transformation into the beast wasn't the top priority of the story. Not every werewolf film sets out to top the TF in AWIL. John Landis purposely set out to depict a long painful transformation in bright lighting because nothing like that had been attempted before. I'm sure that's how he pitched that movie as well. By promising to deliver things that had not been seen before. I'm sure it wasn't "Oh don't worry, we're going to have the main actor, the Dr. Pepper guy, strip naked so we can see him slowly getting hairier and developing paws and they'll be lots of butt shots and now I'd like millions of dollars please..."

If Max is stepping into his father's shoes, my guess is that he'll try his best to pay homage, but do things differently in order to deliver something fresh, like his father did. The rumors of a female lead seem believable only in that it would be a fresh take to that story, not because it's boner fodder for a niche fetish community online that mostly keeps to the shadows anonymously. If you talk to any of the filmmakers behind the movies that turn us on, the things we sexualize here are not sexual to them. Landis has gone on record stating that the werewolf transformation is essentially a puberty/erection metaphor (which probably has something to do with how we all ended up here), Joe Dante talks about the werewolf sex scene in The Howling being funny and shocking and something nobody ever showed before on screen, Ginger Snaps is also a puberty metaphor, even Teen Wolf for that matter. Nudity is used to titilate yes. We all know sex sells, but it's also viewed as gratuitous if not used to service the ultimate story. That's mainly why filmmakers avoid it in these cases. They want to be legitimate filmmakers. The nudity in AWIL I believe works well and could work again artfully with a female lead would be because it makes the character completely vulnerable to the audience who then witnesses a long and painful transformation into a mindless beast. It helps the audience to build a stronger empathetic relationship with the character.
thatnightwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2017   #29
Cursebearer
The Semi-Great Slayer

I agree generally speaking that we as a group put way too much stock in our fetish being taken into account, and that generally speaking looking at any content through that lens is a bad idea and sets one up for disappointment.

I'll also mention again that while Landis recently spoke on the movie, confirming it may still be around in some state, there being a female in the werewolf role at all is a MASSIVE maybe. The rumor has never been substantiated, and people on this board should hope for, but not expect, a female werewolf.

http://process-productions.com/forum...ad.php?t=23468 to request a story from me.
Cursebearer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2017   #30
bcislandguy
Process Fan

What I was saying in my comment is that making ANY movie, regardless of content is about making money unless you crowdsource your money, Legitimate investors (Like studios/productions companies expect a return , thats the crux of lending money to someone. Any film about transformation is an Art film because transformation is always related to puberty/sexuality/and quasi-philosphical human emotional stories , these are almost all direct to DVD type stuff and not going to get any real theatrical release

thenightwolf I think your being naive in not thinking movie pitch and writing is not about sex and selling the product to an audience, look at a series like Underworld, its got Action and Sex (but only as human looking vampires and humans) there is not a single female werewolf in it, all the women are beautiful and sexy Vampires, pale skinned and lustful, thats exactly what people who watch a movie want to see. The Howling movies were B movies where the werewolf was just a easy villan/monster to overcome and in the 80's monster movies were in, they gor progressivy worse in writing . Gingersnaps is an Art film funded heavily by film grants and made no real money but had some real thought put into it.

The primary movie goer is a young Male and they want to see Action, Sex and comedy all involving hot beautiful women, thats why Transformers, marvel universe, and Star Wars type movies are in the theaters and this movie is sitting in limbo, its only something people like us want to see. Joe Average dosn't want to see a woman as a hairy werewolf.

Last edited by bcislandguy; 08-01-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Unread 08-01-2017   #31
TF-Viewer
Slave to the Process Forum

Quote:
What I was saying in my comment is that making ANY movie, regardless of content is about making money unless you crowdsource your money, Legitimate investors (Like studios/productions companies expect a return , thats the crux of lending money to someone. Any film about transformation is more an Art film because transformation is always related to puberty/sexuality/and quasi-philosphical human emotional stories most people don't want to admit they have.
The primary movie goer is a young Male and they want to see Action, Sex and comedy, thats why Transformers, marvel universe, and Star Wars type movies are in the theaters and this movie is sitting in limbo, its only something people like us want to see
The only reason this movie is "in limbo" as you put it, is because he's been afraid to do a remake of his father's old masterpiece. He spoke like might be ready to tackle that now, but if he changes his mind again we'll never see it. He told us as much in the interview, and promised nothing, literally. "I promise you nothing" which really just means he's still on the fence about doing it at all. In all likelihood he'll back down from doing it, too intimidated to attempt the massive undertaking that remaking his father's classic would ultimately entail.
TF-Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2017   #32
bcislandguy
Process Fan

That interview was funny, you can see in the body language that when Kevin even mentioned about him doing the remake he twitched out. You can see a huge part of him wants nothing to do with this yet hes almost obligated to do it because his Dad made it. Probably a mix of fear about screwing it up and part wanting to impress his Dad. But including this in the Dark Universe movie franchise is a recipe for disaster, the Mummy was already a bomb and Universal studios would hinder this movie so badly it would be another disaster
Unread 08-01-2017   #33
TF-Viewer
Slave to the Process Forum

Quote:
That interview was funny, you can see in the body language that when Kevin even mentioned about him doing the remake he twitched out. You can see a huge part of him wants nothing to do with this yet hes almost obligated to do it because his Dad made it. Probably a mix of fear about screwing it up and part wanting to impress his Dad. But including this in the Dark Universe movie franchise is a recipe for disaster, the Mummy was already a bomb and Universal studios would hinder this movie so badly it would be another disaster
A movie being a bad idea has never stopped anyone from making it. It they offer enough money, it'll happen. Connecting it to that garbage will most certainly cause it to be bad. We may all end up wishing it hadn't been made.
TF-Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2017   #34
Cursebearer
The Semi-Great Slayer

There's not even a confirmed female werewolf, bcislandguy, so making the leap that this move is in limbo because there's a female werewolf in it when TF-Viewer's scenario is clearly a lot more reasonable is a little strange. It's not like cinema has never played with making women into grotesque monsters before, either. Aliens, vampires, zombies, female monsters are actually pretty common and I don't think an audience would pass up on a theoretical female AWIL because the werewolf is female. Speaking frankly, the point of the werewolf transformation in AWIL is to be both deeply disturbing and inspire empathy with the werewolf, which both are still very achievable with a female lead.

To put it in simple terms, the average movie-goer likes horror elements like this because they are grotesque, not in spite of them being grotesque. Comparing what the audience wants to see in a horror movie to what they want in those mass-appeal blockbusters like Transformers is not particularly useful.

This is interesting discussion, but female werewolf or not I do hope that the movie gets made just because I'm a bit of a fan of Max Landis. It sounds like he's done most of his part for the movie and it has a completed script, but that it's currently in the approval process going off of the more recent interview. I think that's probably why it's currently up in the air whether or not it happens, and I'm rooting for Landis because this interview made it seem like something he really wants to do.

http://process-productions.com/forum...ad.php?t=23468 to request a story from me.
Cursebearer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2017   #35
Kantomaster1111
Frequent Poster

Max Landis has finished the first draft of his remake.
Kantomaster1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2017   #36
Lycanthrokeith
Gotta Be Me

There's one important detail everyone's forgetting: No Rick Baker.

It was Baker's FX that made the original so memorable. And it was the proliferation of CG over hand-made FX that finally drove him out of the business.

Without Rick Baker, there is no point in doing this at all.

Avatar: "Checking" by Mikhail. Used With Permission.

F-List: https://www.f-list.net/c/missclaneous
Lycanthrokeith is offline   Reply With Quote