free hit counters
Trying Something New - Page 2 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 03-03-2015   #13
Cursebearer
The Semi-Great Slayer

Re: Trying Something New

Ah, thank you all for the overwhelming response! I will definitely be doing the Chang for my first crack at this. I'm curious what you all think about the approach I'll be taking to this series of transformations going forward. I'm not sure how much desire there is for something more narratively dense from me when I know the meat of it all is really just the transformation itself. Is the world at all interesting, or will it end up being more useless fluff for this community? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Likewise, I'd be interested to hear what direction might be interesting to take for the Chang transformation. At this stage, the woman will certainly be Chinese. There's no strong indication of exactly what triggers a Chang to become a tiger, so I was considering the trigger to simply be nightfall, and the transformation will kost likely be painful and unwilling. Beyond that, I have nothing in mind for direction at this stage. Any input from those who wanted to see weretiger is appreciated.

Also, those of you who voted for the spider should know I still plan to write that piece as well but the Chang will simply come first.

http://process-productions.com/forum...ad.php?t=23468 to request a story from me.
Cursebearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2015   #14
mb78
Process Fan

I like the hereditary curse option. For a setting suggestion, she just turned 18 and is at college. Her family has warned her it's coming (curse begins after 18th birthday), so it's not completely surprising, but it is her first transformation. Maybe something like the new moon rather than full moon as the trigger. Alternately, using the same college setting, first sexual experience triggers the curse (again, having been warned it's coming by her family but not really believing it).

But as always, your creative mind will likely come up with something better than I would!

As for narrative, while the actual transformation content is #1, a good buildup and setting (and characters who are defined) can really enhance the transformation content.
mb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2015   #15
Cursebearer
The Semi-Great Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahain View Post
I vote for the Chang. I remember starting a story based on that idea years ago (though mine was based on a similar Indian legend), but I never saw it through to the end.

Some other ideas to consider:

Were-hyena (aka. bultungin of bouda: Plenty of stories about these throughout Africa. Generally, it's a hereditary condition. Naturally, a lot of the stories revolve around were-hyenas digging up graves or roaming around battlefields, looking for dead people to eat.

Were-lions: Also common wherever there are lions in Africa. It's also a hereditary thing, though unlike the were-hyenas, they're a lot more noble.

Were-bear: I'm sure most of us are kind of aware of the old Norse berserkers. Shapeshifting was considered to be one of their abilities (not just into bears, mind you, but the word translates into "bear shirt", so that seems like the most appropriate animal for a story centering around that idea).

Were-jaguar: Basically, the Aztec version of the berserker.

I think it's safe to say that, wherever large predators exist, there's usually some sort of shapeshifting legend associated with them
Didn't have time to give it a proper shout out when I was replying this morning, but this post is excellently helpful. The werehyena in particular has my attention and is going in the list of possible pretty much as soon as I can get to a convenient place to edit. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb78 View Post
I like the hereditary curse option. For a setting suggestion, she just turned 18 and is at college. Her family has warned her it's coming (curse begins after 18th birthday), so it's not completely surprising, but it is her first transformation. Maybe something like the new moon rather than full moon as the trigger. Alternately, using the same college setting, first sexual experience triggers the curse (again, having been warned it's coming by her family but not really believing it).

But as always, your creative mind will likely come up with something better than I would!

As for narrative, while the actual transformation content is #1, a good buildup and setting (and characters who are defined) can really enhance the transformation content.
These are some great idea threads. I actually had a similar thought to you concerning the new moon. A lot of creatures that TF in myth are implied to do so at night, including the Chang. The new moon, the darkest night of the month, seems like a natural choice to trigger such werecreatures. Thank you for this response.

I dig the college girl away from home angle as well, as it provides the benefits of anticipating the change along with undergoing her first transformation. Keep the input coming, folks, it is much appreciated.

http://process-productions.com/forum...ad.php?t=23468 to request a story from me.
Unread 03-03-2015   #16
Amahain
Process Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursebearer View Post
Likewise, I'd be interested to hear what direction might be interesting to take for the Chang transformation. At this stage, the woman will certainly be Chinese. There's no strong indication of exactly what triggers a Chang to become a tiger, so I was considering the trigger to simply be nightfall, and the transformation will kost likely be painful and unwilling. Beyond that, I have nothing in mind for direction at this stage. Any input from those who wanted to see weretiger is appreciated.
That's good - I prefer involuntary transformations.

I'm thinking about the "vengeful spirit" aspect. Maybe the protagonist and another person somehow managed to piss off some spirits. The protagonist gets cursed to turn into a man-eating tiger, the other person is cursed to be hunted by that tiger.

If you go for the longer, more detailed story route, I would add some buildup to the transformation. One thing that I would keep in mind is that tigers actually have striped skin under their fur. Over the course of several days, the protagonist might see more and more stripes forming on her skin, marking her as cursed (kind of like the pentagram on the hand for werewolves).

And here's an interesting challenge: you're writing as a Westerner for a Western audience, and I think it would be kind of difficult not to root the story in Western culture somehow (by making the protagonist Chinese-American, for example) - people write about what they're familiar with, after all. See if you can avoid that temptation. Have the story set in China and make the main characters culturally Chinese.

Edit: But the college girl thing works too.
Unread 03-03-2015   #17
Cursebearer
The Semi-Great Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahain View Post
That's good - I prefer involuntary transformations.

I'm thinking about the "vengeful spirit" aspect. Maybe the protagonist and another person somehow managed to piss off some spirits. The protagonist gets cursed to turn into a man-eating tiger, the other person is cursed to be hunted by that tiger.

If you go for the longer, more detailed story route, I would add some buildup to the transformation. One thing that I would keep in mind is that tigers actually have striped skin under their fur. Over the course of several days, the protagonist might see more and more stripes forming on her skin, marking her as cursed (kind of like the pentagram on the hand for werewolves).

And here's an interesting challenge: you're writing as a Westerner for a Western audience, and I think it would be kind of difficult not to root the story in Western culture somehow (by making the protagonist Chinese-American, for example) - people write about what they're familiar with, after all. See if you can avoid that temptation. Have the story set in China and make the main characters culturally Chinese.

Edit: But the college girl thing works too.
Another great post, thank you! I'm not set on the college girl proposal yet, so please don't hold back with your own ideas. Especially since you've given me some interesting hurdles to think about and that's a big part of what this project is about. I will try to dig into some research on the Chinese myths for were tigers to see if I can't meet your challenge of authenticity.

Thank you all so much for the continued input. Please keep thoughts coming, you've all been wonderful help.

Unread 03-03-2015   #18
LycanDope
Smutty Lady

Well, I vote for the Chang! ... sorry spider people... maybe I'll make it up to y'all some time.

For an idea - Wikipedia says that the ghosts of people killed by tigers become malevolent spirits that work to make sure tigers kill more humans. They also have the ability to turn people into weretigers.

Sooo... if you'll pardon the intrusion of another writer, how about a way to bridge the Eastern/Western gap? Family on a trip to China (if you want to keep the mythologies to their roots). The family is celebrating their daughter's graduation from high school or entrance into college (to keep it age appropriate if you so choose). The Chang takes notice of her when she ... dunno - hmmm... Actually... a scene at a zoo... Large tiger is sleeping in the background (those bastards are always hiding and sleeping whenever I go to the zoo!) but the Chang takes notice of the girl? Perhaps she's cut herself earlier or done something slightly sinful or something to invite in a spirit? However you want to dice that part of the rules of your world. The tiger wakes and slowly stalks to the glace, eyes locked on the girl until its at the glass wall. She's drawn to it, hypnotized, stalks to the glass, presses her hand against the wall. Breathing turns ragged, deep, catching at the back of her throat until it's a rumble with each breath. Pain shoots through her hand. Anger lances into her. At being caged. Stared at. Held back. Forever restrained while prey stands on the other side of the glass. The joints in her fingers flare. Her hand seizes painfully. Claws begin to slice through her skin. She yowl quietly in sympathy to the rage echoing from the tiger. Her fingers drag down the glass, cutting grooves in the pane. Blood drips from her gums. Hunger. So much hunger. Not for the meat they toss to her. Fresh meat, steaming and bloody. Her teeth ache so badly.

And then a hand on her shoulder and the pain recedes. She blinks, looking away at a crowd around her. Her parents are worried. She smells their fear but it fades quickly with the hunger tearing at her belly.

Eventually they leave and the spirit follows, eager to find an opportunity to take her completely until there's no coming back from it.

Just a, uhh, thought.
LycanDope is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2015   #19
GenYun
Ye Olde 3D Artiste

Boo! Power to the Spider-people!
GenYun is offline   Reply With Quote