free hit counters
"Serious" writers writing TF fiction. - Page 2 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > And Everything Else...

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 07-07-2014   #13
Kyutetsuki
misspelled bloodsucker

Re: "Serious" writers writing TF fiction.

It's been a few years since I last read it, so I couldn't get you a page number, but it's somewhere in the middle, and I distinctly remember Bobbi wearing a nightgown or something sheer or open and that Gardner remarked that while she somehow looked younger and tighter, her skin was almost translucent and where her genitals used to be something else was now that revolted him.

I've got the 1994 softcover edition, but I haven't seen anything about it being extended or author's prefered, so I figure it should be the same.
Unread 07-07-2014   #14
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtx View Post
While Tommyknockers was the most TF-dense of any of King's books that I've read, the degree of TF is limited.
I'd argue SALEM'S LOT has just as much TF content, and even the protagonist's love interest gets tragically vampirized. But once again, most of the actual biting and infecting takes place "off-screen", so to speak.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014   #15
Kyutetsuki
misspelled bloodsucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtx View Post
B III, Ch 1, S18<-This is the most descriptive one in the book, I think, and might be what you're thinking of. Not Gardner's POV though, which is why your description of the scene caught my attention.
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Hah, memories are unreliable, I must've mixed that scene up with the kiss scene between her and Gardner... but yeah. It's disturbing but I can see how alien-TF fetishists would get turned on by it. It even has a bit of breast expansion, even if it's implied the end result doesn't look very good.

Also, the book I have is in my birth language, which I had also completely forgotten. I distinctly remember reading it in english, but that's apparently not true either.

Edit: I googled the movie, and it shows another way how Stephen King's books are mauled and minced to unrecognizable shreds when Hollywood gets their hands on them - In the movie, Bobbi turns into a horrifying mix between a reptile and a gorilla with a xenomorph-like elongated head. In the book, she seems to transform into a humanoid jellyfish that apparently has a few attractive features intact.

Last edited by Kyutetsuki; 07-08-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Kyutetsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014   #16
vid
Frequent Poster

If we're still submitting stuff:

Andrew Kaufman, a somewhat underground Canadian author, known for "All My Friends Are Superheroes", wrote "The Tiny Wife," about the people whose souls were partially stolen by a thief, causing weird stuff to happen based on problems in their lives. Off of a husband turning into a snowman and a wife turning into candy (she's eaten), the main focus is on the narrator's wife who, because she's neglected, begins to physically shrink in size. It weaves in and out of the other stories so there's no direct process, but it's slow and details her at different sizes, from a few inches shorter, then smaller than her infant son, to only a few inches tall where she rides in her husband's shirt pocket, among other things. The major problem is that it's not overly detailed and only spends 2-3 pages on her at a time throughout the entire 88 page run.

Kaufman only seems to have a cult following and doesn't seem widely known, but when I checked this out after randomly hearing about it every single reviewer was absolutely in love with it. He said once that, as a screenwriter, he was hoping to get a movie made but no news of it. A few of us over at Minimizer's discussed it and agree it would make a damn good live-action SW, almost like a perfect "ISW" we never got.
vid is offline   Reply With Quote