free hit counters
American Werewolf In London - Page 3 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 10-02-2016   #25
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

Re: American Werewolf In London

I really don't care about penises as long as they also show naked females. Full frontal guy? Then full frontal woman. Some kind of "equality", isn't it? And also, I understand that some people here would like guys for the TFs instead of women (friendly reminder here about the "Everything Else" section).
Anyway, the full frontal female nudity is not a must, but it is "more perfect" than avoiding nudity with smart camera angles .
Anahki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2016   #26
queenofprussia2006
Frequent Poster

///

Last edited by queenofprussia2006; 10-02-2016 at 10:15 AM.
queenofprussia2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2016   #27
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

As I've grown older, I've gradually found the movie less appealing. Its weird tone never clicked with me, and I'm increasingly put off by the pessimistic attitude of the characters. (Notice how nobody even suggests the possibility of a cure for David?) I'm not asking for horror films to be "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer," but come on; even Bram Stoker had the heroes destroy Dracula in the end.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2016   #28
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto View Post
As I've grown older, I've gradually found the movie less appealing. Its weird tone never clicked with me, and I'm increasingly put off by the pessimistic attitude of the characters. (Notice how nobody even suggests the possibility of a cure for David?) I'm not asking for horror films to be "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer," but come on; even Bram Stoker had the heroes destroy Dracula in the end.
Well, in my case I've precisely followed the opposite path as I grew older, and I became to appreciate the details of the movie and not just the FX or the plain broad story, but also the irony and the mirror that reflects the fantasy or horror movies into the reality. In fact, one of the strongest points for this movie is precisely the fact that even being an american movie, the result is hard and crude. No catharsis, no happy ending... precisely one of the best things of the 80's horror movies were the "cliché endings" with the monster re appearing on screen after the supposedly happy ending.
To name the opposite example, one of the weakest point of An American Werewolf in Paris was the semi happy ending. And isn't it a worse curse when you cannot get rid of it? Think of it, becoming a bloody beast during the full moon is bad, but having the hope for the cure and finding out that there is no cure in the end... it would be devastating. It is the perfect combination of physical and psychological horror, and connecting to similar werewolf movies, it could be the excuse to justify that a human werewolf would commit suicide or deal with his/her condition and become... evil.
If you want another similar example about what I am trying to communicate, just have a look at the Martyrs movies, the french and the american version, and then tell me which of them was more unsettling .

Last edited by Anahki; 10-02-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Unread 10-02-2016   #29
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

EDIT: I've re-evaluated my initial thoughts on the movie, and I think my biggest personal problem with AWiL is its lack of pathos. Ultimately this film is meant to be a tragedy (comedy and horror elements aside), and evoking the emotion of pathos is crucial in any tragedy. I never really felt genuine pity or sorrow for David. Maybe it's because he wasn't really to blame for getting cursed in the first place, or maybe it was something about David Naughton's performance, or the way John Landis chose to characterize him. Regardless, I admire AWiL for its special effects, but not so much for its protagonist.

Last edited by Dr. Otto; 10-03-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2016   #30
queenofprussia2006
Frequent Poster

fatalistic

It's a product of the times

-1973 The oil embargo sends gasoline prices skyrocketing,no more big V8 powered cars

-1975 Ho Chi Minh beats the living bleep out of Uncle Sam
in Vietnam

1970's the Appolo program ends and theres no easy start to the Space Shuttle,delayed as I recall

Jimmy Carter era American helicopters and crews fail miserably to rescue folk in Somalia

1977 Americans get theirs in Iran

1980 a murderous crazy American uses John Lennon for target practice

So a American gobbling up offended Londoners seems fair game
queenofprussia2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2016   #31
Dizzydemon
Lurker

I feel that I'm a generally very cynical person, but I'm attracted to alot of generally optimistic entertainment. The cynicism I enjoy seeing in media has to reflect my own attitude in order for me to like it, and I feel that most cynicism in entertainment is usually adolescent and hard to take seriously. Though there's some optimism that I find utterly trite and harmful to society. It's complicated.

I should rewatch Werewolf, because I don't have an opinion on it.
Unread 10-03-2016   #32
popperock
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto View Post
EDIT: I've re-evaluated my initial thoughts on the movie, and I think my biggest personal problem with AWiL is its lack of pathos. Ultimately this film is meant to be a tragedy (comedy and horror elements aside), and evoking the emotion of pathos is crucial in any tragedy. I never really felt genuine pity or sorrow for David. Maybe it's because he wasn't really to blame for getting cursed in the first place, or maybe it was something about David Naughton's performance, or the way John Landis chose to characterize him. Regardless, I admire AWiL for its special effects, but not so much for its protagonist.
Not to get too off topic, but that's kind of common in a lot of Landis's early films. Delta House are essentially a bunch of degenerate lowlifes who are the heroes simply because the Omegas and the Dean are worse people than them. Jake and Elwood Blues are, at times, almost passive observers in their own film, which is more focused on all of the zany shit happening around them than any real characterization. Rex Kramer, Danger Seeker screams the n-word to a bunch of black people and runs away, and Big Jim Slade steals a dude's lady just because he suffered from premature ejaculation.
Unread 10-19-2016   #33
Northwind
Frequent Poster

https://monsterlegacy.net/2016/08/25...-kessler-wolf/
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2016   #34
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
I remember having read this before... a very interesting text, indeed. It clearly expresses what makes the AAWIL TF the best, and why later werewolf TF scenes could not beat it: the intention to show it all, the painful approach, the absence of the annoying bubling/slime/alien FX, the genial idea to leave the head TF to the end... it is almost perfect. I mean, the details could be someday be enhanced, but not the concept. They were good enough (or lucky enough) to make it the best way possible, for the reasons told in the article.
Unread 10-20-2016   #35
alphaleo1977
Lurker

i wonder what the alex werewolf would of looked like???
alphaleo1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2016   #36
Jimbo
Selfish lurker TF artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaleo1977 View Post
i wonder what the alex werewolf would of looked like???

I think this guy got it pretty close. yeah yeah you guys want it for free. talent like this should be paid for. *nods*

Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote