free hit counters
Swrealm. - Page 2 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Shrinking Process

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 12-30-2017   #13
sally g

Re: Swrealm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Lurker View Post
Believe me, I had no love for the Tapatalk format, as ir was impossible to tell which subforums had been updated if you were using a mobile device. An issue I never had prior to that. Do you know who was specifically in charge of SW Realm? It would be nice to get in touch with them
Check you pm's.
Unread 12-30-2017   #14
Prof_Sai
Instigator

Is it time for someone else to give forum-ing a go?
Prof_Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2017   #15
ckent45
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Sai View Post
Is it time for someone else to give forum-ing a go?
I know there's been some talk of that, even before SWrealm went down (again).

The question is how much expertise and money is needed for it? As I recall, the owner of SWrealm was paying a fee to put the forum up, and then tapatalk came in and immediately started dumping in ads and pitches for "premium" service. Since there was no warning whatsoever that that change was coming to begin with, I'm guessing they are running tiers in their forums. I.e., Want a forum? Pay us this low fee! Want it ad free? Pay us just a little more! Want our spam emails to stop for a month? Pay us just a little bit more!

From what I've seen of other free forum options out there, they are doing similar things as well. I see that Giantess City is still running Phpbb, so I know it can still be done if anyone wanted to go back to the way things were, but there are other hurdles to overcome as well.

For instance, the SWrealm leadership seems to have gone AWOL just like Minimizer's did once upon a time. I was trying to contribute at one time at SWrealm, and might do just that once again, if a new home was started, but right now the biggest hurdle is how does it get done?
ckent45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2017   #16
sally g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckent45 View Post
I know there's been some talk of that, even before SWrealm went down (again).

The question is how much expertise and money is needed for it? As I recall, the owner of SWrealm was paying a fee to put the forum up, and then tapatalk came in and immediately started dumping in ads and pitches for "premium" service. Since there was no warning whatsoever that that change was coming to begin with, I'm guessing they are running tiers in their forums. I.e., Want a forum? Pay us this low fee! Want it ad free? Pay us just a little more! Want our spam emails to stop for a month? Pay us just a little bit more!

From what I've seen of other free forum options out there, they are doing similar things as well. I see that Giantess City is still running Phpbb, so I know it can still be done if anyone wanted to go back to the way things were, but there are other hurdles to overcome as well.

For instance, the SWrealm leadership seems to have gone AWOL just like Minimizer's did once upon a time. I was trying to contribute at one time at SWrealm, and might do just that once again, if a new home was started, but right now the biggest hurdle is how does it get done?
I think you sum things up pretty well CK.

As a mod (or possibly ex mod) on SW Realm, I've always queried any glitches that occurred in the past with the chief admin (dorianblack), and have usually had a prompt and positive response. However, I feel it is down to the "management" to furnish us all with an explanation this time around, as the situation seems more serious than in the past.

As I said earlier, I won't shed any tears if I don't see that Tapatalk banner again, but if the forum has been terminated I sympathize with everyone who has contributed, and especially those who put so much effort into making it what it once was.

So what now?

It may be premature to write off SW Realm, because we have no idea what the situation is or whether it might reappear again as mysteriously as it disappeared, but whatever the future holds.. I feel an alternative forum solely dedicated to SW, is a positive move to consider.

So if you feel that idea is worth pursuing, please feel free to join this little Yahoo Group I started recently. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SWhaven/info

There aren't many of us there at present, but the more of us that can contribute ideas and opinions about an alternative SW forum, then the merrier we will all be (there's free imaginary booze there as well. But if that that doesn't hack it then bring your own!)

I hope that covers the situation for now, and I thank our host forum for letting us discuss these matters.
Unread 12-30-2017   #17
OhZone
OhYeah!

Joined!
Unread 12-30-2017   #18
ckent45
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally g View Post
So what now?

It may be premature to write off SW Realm, because we have no idea what the situation is or whether it might reappear again as mysteriously as it disappeared, but whatever the future holds.. I feel an alternative forum solely dedicated to SW, is a positive move to consider.

I hope that covers the situation for now, and I thank our host forum for letting us discuss these matters.
That just about covers it, but I would inject one more thing first. This is not the first time the "new" forum has gone down unexpectedly and people were left wondering if it would even come back, and also management there, aside from yourself, has been a no show.

In the end, there were only two things in combination that took Min's down for good- an error that was eventually logging people out and not letting them log back in and finally Min ceasing to make payments on the forum. This forum has come and gone mysteriously several times since it was started.

I don't think it is premature to be discussing life post SWrealm, IMHO.
Unread 12-31-2017   #19
sally g

Quote:
That just about covers it, but I would inject one more thing first. This is not the first time the "new" forum has gone down unexpectedly and people were left wondering if it would even come back, and also management there, aside from yourself, has been a no show.

In the end, there were only two things in combination that took Min's down for good- an error that was eventually logging people out and not letting them log back in and finally Min ceasing to make payments on the forum. This forum has come and gone mysteriously several times since it was started.

I don't think it is premature to be discussing life post SWrealm, IMHO.
I can't disagree with that.

We'll have to get our collective heads together, and see where it takes us.
Unread 12-31-2017   #20
Prof_Sai
Instigator

Wow, Tapatalk is like paradise compared to the mess that is that Yahoo forum. Perhaps we can have the discussion here, and save yahoo for serious emergencies?

I had high hopes for Ecchi Corner too.
Unread 12-31-2017   #21
ckent45
Lurker

Quote:
Wow, Tapatalk is like paradise compared to the mess that is that Yahoo forum. Perhaps we can have the discussion here, and save yahoo for serious emergencies?

The heyday of Yahoo groups is long gone, but I think that Sally was only suggesting that we take the conversation up there in order to avoid abusing this space.

In other words, I think she's concerned that we might get called out in this space since discussing a new SW forum isn't really part of this forum's mission, and we might wear out our welcome.
Unread 12-31-2017   #22
Prof_Sai
Instigator

Well it beats endlessly talking about politics in F&BS.
Unread 12-31-2017   #23
sally g

Quote:

Quote:
The heyday of Yahoo groups is long gone, but I think that Sally was only suggesting that we take the conversation up there in order to avoid abusing this space.

In other words, I think she's concerned that we might get called out in this space since discussing a new SW forum isn't really part of this forum's mission, and we might wear out our welcome.

Yes, thanks CK, that was my reasoning.

I was also mindful that some SW Realm people might not be members of The Process, and so miss the ideas we have. But I don't mind in the least if we continue to discuss matters here as well, providing we're not causing a problem.

As I said on the Yahoo group, it isn't intended to be a forum, but just somewhere to express ideas (or whatever else). And it is easy enough to keep track of and follow a topic, once you get used to the format.
Unread 01-01-2018   #24
sally g

Just a little bump to let folks know that discussion is under way re a possible new SW forum. Please see what's happening at the Yahoo group below. If you aren't already a member, just apply and I'll let you in..

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SWhaven/info

ps. For those who'd prefer to discuss on this thread also, absolutely no problem as long as "The Governer" is happy about it.