free hit counters
31 Ai Dream: Chapters 11-18 Review - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > AP/AR

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 04-03-2016   #1
Alchemical Night
Watcher

Lightbulb 31 Ai Dream: Chapters 11-18 Review

Hello there,

As some here may recall, more than a year ago i gave a review of the then current chapters of a TF/AR themed manga from the pen of Arina Tanemura - the same talent responsible for other transformation orientated stories as with Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Full Moon Wo Sagashite.

This latest manga concerns the vicissitudes of one Chikage Deguchi - a somewhat melancholic, isolated and coldly wistful 31 year old who lingers upon her earlier life as a promising, beautiful and vital teenager, and all the possibilities and passions that followed too. A twist of fate allows her chemical means to transform back into a teenager, from which this alter-ego begins to embark upon a colorful, but increasingly tangled life as Akari Deguchi. The original post - affording a little more detail and background - can be found here http://www.process-productions.com/f...chemical+night , principally pertaining to chapters 1 - 10.

Chikage Deguchi, and her alter-ego, teenage Akari -
A signed portrait posted by Arina on her twitter (April, 2015)

Having followed this story for more than a year now, since January of 2015, April of 2016 finds us at chapter 18 and a while since the early events described, back then. It having been nearly 10 chapters since last discussed, it stands that both identities found in this curious, compelling story have had a very interesting time...

The chapters that proceed from 10 are intriguing; not simply in advancing this fascinating story, but also in baring out a number of conjectures and speculations as to Chikage's life and psyche. Before proceeding here, I will proffer a small caveat that I figure a strong comparison to the Jekyll & Hyde narrative, and do frame events through that as there is an indelible similarity, in many ways.

Going on, Akari continues her rise to popularity and becomes a growing fixture among her group of newly found friends in the idol circuit. But, of perhaps a more pronounced flavor, is the startling revolution seen in Chikage's emotional life: revitalized, more colorful, engaged and hopeful. Additionally, this noted change is compounded by her becoming friends with that very same fellow student - now a young businessman - who she couldn't confess to, all those years ago. Though not quite moved to admit her feelings now, there is a palpable, mutual attraction - though a situation not without tension as both he and her other friend (the same man who offered her the miraculous medicine) court a cool regard for each other, over Chikage's affections.

As the chapter's progress, we do find something quite remarkable come to light; and not without a sense of intriguing vindication as, it would seem, that the duality sired in Chikage, through Akari, begins to break the surface in subtle, but notable ways. In two particular chapters, we find Chikage drawn to transform again - this wistful desire seeing Akari intend to visit one of her friends, at his High School. Initially cautious, she soon embraces events which give her a fitting uniform before slipping inside. Whimsically searching for him, the events that unfold aren't to her favor when she eventually does, and his searching questions go unanswered. More so, later, Akari consents to a sleep over: this culminating in not only Chikage awakening to herself in the middle of the night, but also nearly being discovered in the process too.

The growing energy, vitality and direction of Akari - circling back to Chikage to seemingly enrich her life - finds the teenager with a subtle, but reckless, disregard and quiet conceit which is portentous, at least to me. Dr. Jekyll himself, recalling his own duality, described the hay day of those excesses and indulgences as "And thus fortified, I supposed, on every side, I began to profit from the strange immunities of my position."This speaks all too well to the divergence and situation overall, here, between Chikage and Akari in a good deal of what transpires.

But, as canny readers may note, and as I've said, this is portentous and a somewhat sensitive situation: though revitalized and more welcomed, the trials, challenges and frustrations of her life lead her to continue taking the medicine and thus further promote the life of her alter-ego. This more so allowing for Akari to further ingrain herself in the world and on those around her, which deals a second reason for the transformations to continue, as they do.

Drawing from chapters 11 to 18, the seemingly buoyant situation is darkened by a unforeseen complication that has apparently crept up on Chikage, in the mean time. Though enjoying a new energy and drive, Chikage's professional life is frustrated when - as a consequence of alluded corporate shenanigans or office politics - a project of her's is denied by senior editors. Taken aback, the once grimly reserved and withdrawn woman loses her temper - even so as to disregard other's protests and storm a formal meeting of senior editors, livid at their decision...

From here, the chapter concludes and what prevails after is unknown, but this is certainly a fascinating consequence of the wider situation upon her original self - and more so, a potentially curious legacy of duality that is growing as her alter-ego emerges more into the world. Though what might happen as a consequence of this uncharacteristic outburst is debatable, it does leave off on a compelling note before the next chapter presents itself...

On a smaller note, I will try to be a little more timely with updates regarding this series, and hopefully it will not be a year or more before I can review the next cache of chapters, as they may be .

Thanks again,

Alchemical Night.
Alchemical Night is offline   Reply With Quote