free hit counters
Rick Baker Design of “Cursed” Werewolf - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 09-04-2014   #1
howlingfan
Frequent Poster

Rick Baker Design of “Cursed” Werewolf

In case a few of you haven’t seen this yet, Rick Baker released a photo of his design of the Judy Greer werewolf from “Cursed,” which, as you all know, the movie stupidly didn’t use. Predictably, Rick’s design is awesome, but here’s a warning: Seeing it will most likely anger you into thinking about what could have been.

https://twitter.com/TheRickBaker/sta...77265247956994
howlingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #2
trc071880
Frequent Poster

Re: Rick Baker Design of “Cursed” Werewolf

...........dear god.....and they wonder why it bombed
trc071880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #3
Shadow_Dragon
Evil Dragon oooh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc071880 View Post
...........dear god.....and they wonder why it bombed
Well, bear werewolves aside, I think it was also due to the sheer cheesiness of the plot and dialogue.

Changing Times Podcast
Shadow_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #4
WuschelWolf
Leech0r

Hooooly hell. That is... wow. That transformation scene must have been.... wow. D:
WuschelWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #5
trc071880
Frequent Poster

oh dont get me wrong movie still would have likely sucked but the tf might have been ALOT better :P
trc071880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #6
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

See, THIS is why I'm scared shitless of Hollywood, regardless of how much I want to work there.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #7
make_her_grow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto View Post
See, THIS is why I'm scared shitless of Hollywood, regardless of how much I want to work there.
That's the thing man. Hollywood is a pure profit & politics kind of business.

You can have the greatest idea in the world. It can be voted the best by fans on the interweb.

But if you don't get the funding because your backer wants to make changes and you won't let them, you're not going to get very far in the business.

It most likely was NOT his choice by sounds of it. But you gotta remember as a whole the creature designers have that pesky FCC and movie ratings bull crap to jump through. Sometimes doing that means getting something else entirely than what you had in mind, which clearly happened here.

Regardless of wolf design the movie was gonna bomb. As much as I loved the girls' moaning and heavy breathing during the actual transformation sequences, the rest of the movie was horrible. If they used his design then the only salvageable moments for me would have been the TF scene as a fetish viewer, but no way in hell would I still enjoy the movie otherwise.

Just be thankful the movie had any female werewolves at all because actual silver screen Hollywood grade female werewolves (I'm not counting indie makers in this obviously) are rare and getting rarer because of those damn pesky FCC guys and censorship.
make_her_grow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #8
howlingfan
Frequent Poster

This will probably never happen, but here's hoping someone somewhere releases at least some of the footage Rick worked on. I remember seeing a trailer YEARS ago (like a half year before the movie even came out) when Rick was still working on it, and there was a split second shot of the TF that wasn't in the actual movie. Judy Greer was leaning her head upwards and brushing her hair back with clawed hands, a few blonde strands were falling out, and her wolfish face was changing. I waited in the movie theater for that scene with anticipation and got a CGI were-bear instead. I know someone has the original TF scene, even if it was only partially filmed, somewhere, but it will most likely never see the light of day.
howlingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #9
Ironhorse
Would be Evil Mastermind

It isn't so much the FCC as the execs. They see werewolves as cheap shlock horror, and if a woman is a werewolf a long, painful transformation will make the producers look like they hate women, and ruin any interest in the female demographic. So they spike it.

Hollywood execs have all their own superstitions and prejudices that have full reign over any artists's creative vision. It doesn't matter how good your script is, the moneymen always get the final say.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #10
sodacat
Calling from the New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Dragon View Post
Well, bear werewolves aside, I think it was also due to the sheer cheesiness of the plot and dialogue.
When Cursed originally came out in theaters it was a PG-13 movie. There wasn't a single shot of violence in the entire movie. It was a slasher movie with no slashing. The unrated home release was just the R version of the movie, and that's the one everyone in this thread has seen and that I, personally, enjoy as a b-movie.

The way Hollywood butchers movies so that teenagers can watch them is mind-boggling. Yes, teens are the largest movie-going audience but if you take a movie where people want to see the R-rated parts of it, or a movie that teens don't want to watch anyways (like Master and Commander), and then edit it down to a PG-13 movie, that doesn't automatically make teens want to see it.

Seriously I would kill a man to see the work print for Master and Commander.

Oh what the hell the original version of Cursed had Omar Epps and James Brolin? When your editing removes those two men from a movie you know you're doing wrong.
Deviantart | Furaffinity. I write things here.
sodacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014   #11
slayer1
Process Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingfan View Post
This will probably never happen, but here's hoping someone somewhere releases at least some of the footage Rick worked on. I remember seeing a trailer YEARS ago (like a half year before the movie even came out) when Rick was still working on it, and there was a split second shot of the TF that wasn't in the actual movie. Judy Greer was leaning her head upwards and brushing her hair back with clawed hands, a few blonde strands were falling out, and her wolfish face was changing. I waited in the movie theater for that scene with anticipation and got a CGI were-bear instead. I know someone has the original TF scene, even if it was only partially filmed, somewhere, but it will most likely never see the light of day.
I remember this as well! From what I remember they re-shot the whole movie! I wonder if any archive footage exists somewhere. I was gonna post about the same trailer that shows a similar hands with claws and hair, similar to the actual movie but looked better. I challenge anyone to find this pre-trailor?
Unread 09-05-2014   #12
actionmang
Frequent Poster

Is it this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhLyx8GojoI
actionmang is offline   Reply With Quote