free hit counters
Things that you really dont like to see in a transformation. - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 07-12-2018   #1
Jimbo
Selfish lurker TF artist

Things that you really dont like to see in a transformation.

Here's one for you lot.

what things dont you like seeing in a transformation?

lazy done "poof" where it just happens?

the sailor moon style with sparkly effects?

gore like skin and body parts coming off?(yeah really dont like Jeff Goldbum's fly tf)

breaking the laws of mass?(you cant just grow new body parts from thin air)

maybe you dont like the idea of someone losing their human mind as the change?

someone changing into something that isnt real.?(some folks really like mythical amimals. others cant get enough of pokémon tf's)

you dont like the way someone transforms?(rememer being asked to make the feet change but not have them bare.)

your thoughts? opinions?

*gets out Black book*
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #2
TF-Viewer
Slave to the Process Forum

Re: Things that you really dont like to see in a transformation.

Clothes changing with the person's body, or clothes that were destroyed during the transformation magically reappearing intact after the person returns to normal. A poof TF doesn't bother me if the clothes fall off in the same instant and end up on the floor, then they poof back naked later.
TF-Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #3
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

There are many of them:
-The overuse of change of camera planes to artificially hide the TF. Fortunately we have here some relentless fellows (thank you to all of you) who are able to fix it and make a video reassembling the mess.
-Use of furniture/obstacles/whatever to hide the TF. Also, similar crap with no solution.
And my favourite:
-The trailer of an upcoming werewolf movie/series shows 5 seconds of a supposedly amazing werewolf TF. The show contains exactly five seconds of werewolf TF.
Anahki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #4
howlingfan
Frequent Poster

Poof TFs, overly gory/bloody TFs (including skin ripping), clothes that magically reappear after the transformee regains human shape, 100% CGI TFs that look like they used computers from the early ‘90s, etc. Also, if I never hear or read a TF character ask, “What’s happening to me?” again, I’ll die a happy man.
howlingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #5
azerty47-2

It depends, but I have a number of things I don't like; some of which aren't exclusive to TF but also apply to AR and SW:

-Clothes changing with the victim. I can be OK with poof TFs as long as the victim's clothes don't change with her and become oversized/torn, but if her clothes change with her, then it just becomes lazy.

-More often than not, gore and blood. Only on rare occasions can I tolerate it.

-Hiding the TF via various means; like furniture, camera changing, and stuff like that; it's so frustrating to not be able to see the TF.

-Any kind of permanency and other dark/bad stuff. That's not to say I dislike serious transformations (Though I much prefer light-hearted stuff), but it really bothers me when, to cite an example, an innocent person is transformed into a monster and then killed, or when the change is permanent.

Last edited by azerty47-2; 07-12-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Unread 07-12-2018   #6
Jbrey
Frequent Poster

I have a few things that I don't like.

1: Instantaneous or poof TFs, I can understand these being in shows that the target audience is kids but in more adult stuff it just looks silly.

2: When the targets are under 18 years of age, nothing makes me nope out of there faster than seeing something like that among a bunch of images with naked adults in.

3: When things start going down the gross route, this where I group things like blood, gore and toilet stuff. this is actually one of my biggest issues with FA I could simply search donkey transformation and wind up seeing some dude turning donkey while also going to the bathroom sitting in the search results with no warning thumbnail in place.

4: Mind alterations, I hate this with a passion, when a person who transforms loses their mind completely that is when I shut off, that crap depresses me so much.

5: Feral Animals, I can't stand this either, when a story starts going down that route I back out.

6: Permanency really isn't for me either.

7: When a TF is blocked or obscured

8: When characters decide to narrate what we can see things like "My feet are changing" when we can see them changing, unless it's done in a documentation type of style having someone just narrate the changes after something causes them to change when they weren't expecting it feels silly
Jbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #7
The Zesty One
A Real Go-Getter!

1.) Complete mental changes, for me I need the character to, at the very least, be aware of the changes happening to them.

2.) Ending the story immediately after the transformation. This is a real pet peeve of mine and it always strikes me as a little lazy on the authors part. A characters post tf reaction to their new circumstances is a money dynamic and when it's summarized in the last paragraph as something like "and so-and-so remained a cow for the rest of their life..." that's what bugs me.

3.) Consensual TF's. Like... this is just me and I can understand the other point of view, but I really need the character to not want or enjoy being transformed.

I actually don't mind poof tf's at all as long as the newly transformed person has a good reaction to their new body.
The Zesty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #8
GenYun
Ye Olde 3D Artiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Viewer View Post
Clothes changing with the person's body, or clothes that were destroyed during the transformation magically reappearing intact after the person returns to normal. A poof TF doesn't bother me if the clothes fall off in the same instant and end up on the floor, then they poof back naked later.
Yeah, this is my pet peeve.
GenYun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #9
Cactus Jack
Fan of the Art of Process

Skin ripping is an absolute nope.
Unread 07-12-2018   #10
Thrillerboy
Frequent Poster

I feel most of my thoughts are similar to everyone, minus one big one:
  • Poof TFs are just lazy. There's no other way to describe it. You don't have to drag the scene out for five whole minutes, but a 2-5 second poof is just a total waste.
  • Partial TFs for the most part are just as much of a waste.
  • I personally have never cared for much of anything anthro. That Killing Bites anime was particularly dissapointing as it had a ton of partial tfs and/or anthro tfs.
  • Obstructing the TF with furniture, scenery, lighting, camera jumps, etc.
  • TFs that lack a facial transformation (specifically muzzle growth). This one is massively a personal taste, as muzzle TFs are my absolute favorite aspect of a transformation
  • Lack of sound. I want to hear bone cracking, moaning in pain, etc. It's just as much a part of the experience as anything

I'm actually in the minority in enjoying skin rip/gory transformations. Granted, I enjoy my TF material in general to be on the darker/horror side. I loved the Hemlock Grove transformation style, though I'll never forgive them for glossing over Christina's transformation, especially after how much they built it up. Also, Were-World on DeviantArt has been my favorite follow with his art style.
Thrillerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #11
Chef123
Frequent Poster

What I usually don't like to see in a transformation:

- poof transformations without showing any real process

- slime/goo/paint/costume transformations (so, transformations where a person is changed by putting on a costume [e.g. a girl putting on a fursuit and turning into the suit she is wearing] or changed by goo/paint that is covering their body, etc.)

- like Tf-Viewer said: clothes that change with the body during a TF

- like Jbrey said: gross things that belong into the bathroom

- like Anahki said: TFs where the actual TF is hidden by camera angle/objects etc (usually applies to movies/TV shows and mainstream comics. Not art and stories of course)

- I'm not a big fan of Taur or Naga TFs either. Usually I prefer the subjects to keep 4 limbs. Though fish, whale or snake Tfs are okay for me.

- cheap and simple "claws & fangs & eyes" werewolfs. At least give them a short muzzle and some fur covering their face and arms, etc.

- TFs where the subject changing is already an anthro/animal (e.g an anthro wolf turning into an anthro sheep, etc.). I prefer the subjects to be human at the start of their transformation

What I like to see:

- detailled TFs showing the actual process (not poof or obscured)

- torn clothes or clothes sliding down the person’s body (if the person is shrinking during the TF)

- both: transformations into feral animals and anthros

- both: transformations with and without mental changes

- usually I prefer TFs where the person changing is not willingly changing (so, I prefer when people are transformed by a curse or by accident or by someone who wants to get their revenge on them, etc.). I enjoy seeing them struggle at first.

- I love muzzle, tail and fur/scale growth during a TF

- I mostly enjoy seeing people turning into mammals & dragons (though fish, whales and other reptiles are okay too)

I'm indifferent about skin ripping, though. I don't hate it if a TF shows it (it's better than no TF at all or a simple poof IMO), but it's nothing I'm hyped about either.

Last edited by Chef123; 07-12-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Chef123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018   #12
Jbrey
Frequent Poster

one other thing I forgot that I just remembered that I don't like is reality alterations that seriously kills every fun aspect of a TF it removes all the interactions that come with a TF such as questions about what happened and finding excuses to explain the changes.

I hate it when a character witnesses a change and then just shrugs it all off as normal
Jbrey is offline   Reply With Quote