free hit counters
Rick Baker Design of “Cursed” Werewolf - Page 2 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 09-05-2014   #13
Chef123
Frequent Poster

Re: Rick Baker Design of “Cursed” Werewolf

Wow. The werewolf design looks so awesome. Wish this would have been used in the movie.
Chef123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #14
personEL
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionmang View Post
At 2:07.

If this film was the result of massive rewrites and reshoots, I can only imagine how much worse it was initially.
personEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #15
howlingfan
Frequent Poster

Yes, that’s it, but apparently, I have a bad memory, because that shot doesn’t look as good as I remember. It looks mostly CGI, so Rick Baker probably had little, if anything, to do with it. It also looks like it was part of the TF scene that ended up in the finished film, but they cut it for some reason. I’d still like to see it, though.

From what I remember reading about the TF scene from “Cursed,” the studio wanted it to be one long, continuous shot, but Rick Baker explained that it would be impossible to do with practical effects, his specialty, so they basically said, “Okay, then we’ll do it 100% CGI,” and Rick was like, “WTF? Why did you even hire me then?” The thing that annoys me is that they had the mastermind behind “AWIL,” the first to win an Oscar for special-effects makeup. Whenever anyone thinks of “AWIL,” even non-TF or non-werewolf fans, they immediately think of the TF scene. You hire the guy, and he’s willing to do it, and you turn him down? Whaaaat?? Honestly, just seeing his amazing female werewolf design yesterday probably made me more angry than anything. We’ll probably never see something like this again, unless he’s able to recycle his design in a future, unrelated female werewolf movie.

In the end, it sometimes sucks being a female werewolf fan. It’s like being a Chicago Cubs fan. You get tired of losing.
howlingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #16
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingfan View Post
Yes, that’s it, but apparently, I have a bad memory, because that shot doesn’t look as good as I remember. It looks mostly CGI, so Rick Baker probably had little, if anything, to do with it. It also looks like it was part of the TF scene that ended up in the finished film, but they cut it for some reason. I’d still like to see it, though.

From what I remember reading about the TF scene from “Cursed,” the studio wanted it to be one long, continuous shot, but Rick Baker explained that it would be impossible to do with practical effects, his specialty, so they basically said, “Okay, then we’ll do it 100% CGI,” and Rick was like, “WTF? Why did you even hire me then?” The thing that annoys me is that they had the mastermind behind “AWIL,” the first to win an Oscar for special-effects makeup. Whenever anyone thinks of “AWIL,” even non-TF or non-werewolf fans, they immediately think of the TF scene. You hire the guy, and he’s willing to do it, and you turn him down? Whaaaat?? Honestly, just seeing his amazing female werewolf design yesterday probably made me more angry than anything. We’ll probably never see something like this again, unless he’s able to recycle his design in a future, unrelated female werewolf movie.

In the end, it sometimes sucks being a female werewolf fan. It’s like being a Chicago Cubs fan. You get tired of losing.
Fully agree with that... anyway, Mr Baker was behind the "The Wolfman" remake, and the effects were not bad, but by some reason I felt that he wasn't allowed to go further with the TFs (well, and they were male ones, sadly).
Anahki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #17
Chef123
Frequent Poster

Here's another picture of the early design from Rick Baker's twitter:

https://twitter.com/TheRickBaker/sta...258688/photo/1

Chef123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #18
trc071880
Frequent Poster

sad really..Universal is going to reboot all the Universal Monsters in a shared Universe (same thing they did in the 30s and 40s) they so need to get baker to do Make up again, sadly after seeing the trailer for dracula untold..i have no faith
trc071880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #19
sodacat
Calling from the New Era

Wait, dracula Untold's part of that reboot push? Hahahaha that thing looks like they accidentally greenlit a dtdvd script.
Deviantart | Furaffinity. I write things here.
sodacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #20
trc071880
Frequent Poster

no the reboot push starts with the mummy reboot
trc071880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #21
Skalla-Grimm
Grrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc071880 View Post
no the reboot push starts with the mummy reboot
I at first read that as "the mummy robot", which sounds like the villain in a luchador movie.

Now on DeviantArt
Skalla-Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #22
KrustyTheSailor
Frequent Poster

Thumbs down Re: Rick Baker Design of “Cursed” Werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef123 View Post
Here's another picture of the early design from Rick Baker's twitter:

https://twitter.com/TheRickBaker/sta...258688/photo/1

Inspirational!
KrustyTheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #23
Hardcase
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacat View Post
Seriously I would kill a man to see the work print for Master and Commander.
You and me both. A seriously underrated film, Master and Commander.

On Baker's wolf, how do you reject the man that basically created the Best Makeup Effect category in film?

It boggles the mind.
Hardcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014   #24
Skalla-Grimm
Grrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcase View Post

On Baker's wolf, how do you reject the man that basically created the Best Makeup Effect category in film?

It boggles the mind.

Wouldn't be the only time either. He wanted to use practical effects for the shape-shifting in The Wolf Man reboot but got over-ruled because some people are crazy for digital

Now on DeviantArt
Skalla-Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote