free hit counters
Red Parrots' Update: June - Page 5 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Shrinking Process

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 07-03-2014   #49
scidram
Frequent Poster

Re: Red Parrots' Update: June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Lurker View Post
In a word.....absolutely *brilliant*. Lori isn't just sexy, she is also a very convincing actor :-). I loved the plot (in spite of the lack of process), & the ending was hilarious!!!! Well worth the wait. Now I will just hang out for The Bride ;-).

Aussie.
I completely agree.

Sure, there's no process, but the repeated shrinks and grow-backs (some of which cause her to just miss the ceiling!) more than make up for that.

The photos Lori took are some of the best SW photos ever. I love the measuring tape set!

As for Lori...WOW! Adorable, sexy, believable. Can't wait for her wedding day! A great debut from her, and I think she needs to be shrunk again...and again...and again. Can we start a Hall of Fame for shrinking models and induct her into it?

In closing, this was so much fun! Thanks so much!
Unread 07-03-2014   #50
shrunkensandra25
aka Nina.lil

That was awesome!!! Red Parrot you did an excelent job. The plot, the cast... everything has been chosen and produced with love.

You have made my day.

Cant wait for the "The Bride".
Please, pretty please, keep up youre astonishing work.

Your shrinking addicted fan,
Nina.lil
shrunkensandra25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014   #51
shrunkensandra25
aka Nina.lil

related to syrus (scidram):

I agree to open up a hall of fame for shrinking models.

I name Lori as first and Betty Jaded as second
shrunkensandra25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014   #52
Red Parrot
Visual Innovator

Thanks for the kind words. I agree that Lori is amazing. You'll definitely be seeing her again.

I appreciate you all going out on a limb and indulging me in this fast-shrinking, low-process experiment. I really wanted to branch out and try something different.

If I may be allowed to ramble on for a minute...

I was inspired by two stories from Sumguy: 'Fraternization' and 'Mad Science Fair.' As a process-lover myself I kept trying to figure out why his fast-shrinking scenes are so HOT. It made no sense to me. I shouldn't like those stories by my god, I really do.

I finally figured it out, though. Good process-based transformations are based on the idea of the person being surprised. Their tension slowly builds as they figure out what's happening. To me, this is like female sexuality. Slow to build, but climbing ever upwards. The further you get the more the sensation builds.

But what if we flip it and make the person expect what's coming? Well then the tension is front-loaded and the final act of shrinking is the RELIEF of that stress. I view this as more like male sexuality. It's the anticipation that matters most and the final event is quick, intense, and signifies the end of the tension.

Sumguy absolutely nails this in his stories.

This is what led me to making these shrinks so fast (they're the stress' relief, which always sweeps through you swiftly) and the music before-hand is so creepy and the camera's beeps so logical and un-feeling. I wanted to explore that scary feeling of knowing something is coming and it's out of your hands to stop it.

I consider the whole thing a success but am ultimately left thinking that this sort of thing is better left to the story writers. I think video really is made for slow process shrinking and so all of my future plans revolve more around that. So never fear! This was more of an experiment than a shift in style for me.

I'm happy that it ended up being an entertaining experiment, though! I really love this video myself.

So now if I can just somehow mix the two styles together...hmmm. I'm not even sure what that would look like but now I've got something new to ponder!

Thanks again, everyone.
Red Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014   #53
mtshrink
ham sandwich

Without giving to much away. I think the middle of this clip would have been perfect for a slow shrinking sequence. Anyways this clip was awesome. Keep up the good work!!

Wanna RP? Shot me a PM
mtshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014   #54
vid
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Parrot View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I agree that Lori is amazing. You'll definitely be seeing her again.

I appreciate you all going out on a limb and indulging me in this fast-shrinking, low-process experiment. I really wanted to branch out and try something different.

If I may be allowed to ramble on for a minute...

I was inspired by two stories from Sumguy: 'Fraternization' and 'Mad Science Fair.' As a process-lover myself I kept trying to figure out why his fast-shrinking scenes are so HOT. It made no sense to me. I shouldn't like those stories by my god, I really do.

I finally figured it out, though. Good process-based transformations are based on the idea of the person being surprised. Their tension slowly builds as they figure out what's happening. To me, this is like female sexuality. Slow to build, but climbing ever upwards. The further you get the more the sensation builds.

But what if we flip it and make the person expect what's coming? Well then the tension is front-loaded and the final act of shrinking is the RELIEF of that stress. I view this as more like male sexuality. It's the anticipation that matters most and the final event is quick, intense, and signifies the end of the tension.

Sumguy absolutely nails this in his stories.

This is what led me to making these shrinks so fast (they're the stress' relief, which always sweeps through you swiftly) and the music before-hand is so creepy and the camera's beeps so logical and un-feeling. I wanted to explore that scary feeling of knowing something is coming and it's out of your hands to stop it.

I consider the whole thing a success but am ultimately left thinking that this sort of thing is better left to the story writers. I think video really is made for slow process shrinking and so all of my future plans revolve more around that. So never fear! This was more of an experiment than a shift in style for me.

I'm happy that it ended up being an entertaining experiment, though! I really love this video myself.

So now if I can just somehow mix the two styles together...hmmm. I'm not even sure what that would look like but now I've got something new to ponder!

Thanks again, everyone.
While I definitely see what you're saying - in addition to being thrilled that a quality producer actually takes time to think about stuff like this - I'd like to expand on this with half a counter-point and additional thoughts:

I've actually seen several instances where the shrinkee is surprised by sudden rapid reduction, though it's usually after the fact - the most famous example is the first HISTK. While the scenario in "Photographer" is rock-solid, I think it's true that this same build-up you mentioned can come simply from the audience knowing what's coming and not necessarily the shrinkee.

Also, while I do legitimately enjoy slow-shrinking and taking in the details of transformation, I've come to find that fast or at least medium speed shrinking has its merits in terms of the inherent concept of helplessness: the faster the shrinking happens, the less time there is to react or intervene. I think this is why in some cases I actually like it when the SW doesn't have a reaction and is neutral or non-expressive, not because she's bored or uninterested (though that could be an neat angle to come from) but because things happened so fast she simply couldn't process it.

Added to that, I wonder if you've ever considered having the model have physical reactions to being, say, zapped by a shrinking ray, like sped up talking or body shaking. Somewhat like this:

http://youtu.be/taCiVk8DrpU?t=1m19s

That's my 2 cents. I look forward to seeing your next amazing work!
vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014   #55
Neogeo20039905
Leecher

...I loved the frosting.

Seriously, well done RP. You outdid yourself, and as far as I'm concerned slow or fast shrink, there's a little something for everyone. Even frosting.

...did I mention I liked the frosting? Yay, frosting. =D
Neogeo20039905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014   #56
theangelofdeath1986
gun for hire

I loved every minute of it plus all the different sizes cater for everyone. I know the process was a bit poof but that aside its officially one of the best i have seen.
theangelofdeath1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014   #57
Blackbat
SW Gentleman

Great work as usual and well worth the wait, the concept is great, lack of photoshop awareness was a nice touch. I'm glad you didn't go with the faster/high pitch voice approach, only seen it done well once & that was recently in missax's Heart-Shaped box. Plus the ambient audio levels were done well at a low & smooth level to maintain focus easily.

Such a joy watching this though, with each photographic scenario she sets up for herself and her body language feels like this was an everyday hobby for her. Just love it.

Curious production question, and I hope an answer won't be a spoiler for others in the thread but what was the blue frosting made up from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangelofdeath1986 View Post
I loved every minute of it plus all the different sizes cater for everyone. I know the process was a bit poof but that aside its officially one of the best i have seen.
Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the different size to interact with different objects and with the camera prep each time to explain why to keep up the believable plot

Last edited by Blackbat; 07-06-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot to mention one bit
Blackbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014   #58
Red Parrot
Visual Innovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbat View Post
Curious production question, and I hope an answer won't be a spoiler for others in the thread but what was the blue frosting made up from?
People sometimes think this effects stuff is more complicated than it really is. I'm not as clever as you probably think I am.

That blue frosting was... Blue frosting.

2 tubs worth on a foam "pool noodle."

I actually got almost as messy as she did just rubbing the frosting over that thing. Never let it be said that this stuff isn't as fun to make as it is to watch.

Last edited by Red Parrot; 07-06-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Red Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014   #59
vid
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Parrot View Post
People sometimes think this effects stuff is more complicated than it really is. I'm not as clever as you probably think I am.
Some say there is genius in simplicity
vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014   #60
GIANT KEITH
loveroftinywomen

quote:
That blue frosting was... Blue frosting.

I've seen many behind the scenes of green screen shoots, you have to be clever at hiding things and moving things, even using things to stand in for other things matching that color green.
Yep the frosting donut scene was brilliant There are a lot cool things you can do with a pool noodle too. Love frosting among other things you could lick off an SW. This truly was a masterpiece and with every time I watch it ,I see the care taken that went into making it.

Last edited by GIANT KEITH; 07-06-2014 at 04:02 PM.
GIANT KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote