free hit counters
New shrinking movie "Micro" - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Shrinking Process

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 04-07-2017   #1
Underminer
Process Fan

New shrinking movie "Micro"

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/pi...ro-1202025798/

Just found this article on Variety about a movie in pre-production called Micro. It's based on a posthumously-finished Michael Crichton novel. It deals with a bunch of grad students working at a mysterious lab in Hawaii who are shrunk and forced to survive in the rainforest.

This sounds like a legit blockbuster-type movie with Crichton, the creator of Jurassic Park, attached. Has anyone read the novel, which the article says came out in 2011? How small do the students get? Are we talking Honey, I Shrunk the Kids small, smaller, or bigger? I may have to track down this novel and read it now.
Underminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017   #2
Prof_Sai
Instigator

Re: New shrinking movie "Micro"

1/2 inch, according to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_(novel)
Prof_Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017   #3
JasonSlayer
Frequent Poster

Bad news for some of us: I read the Wikipedia article a while aback, and it didn't seem to imply any out-of-clothes shrinking.
JasonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017   #4
scidram
Frequent Poster

The book has no out-of-clothes shrinking. If there is any process, it's super quick. And the characters are bland, and the plot relies on too many coincidences. It doesn't read anywhere near as well as Crichton's other work, probably because it's mostly the other guy who wrote it.

Maybe the movie will be better, and I'll probably go see it, but the book is kinda lame.
Unread 04-08-2017   #5
LK
Process Disciple

You know there's a whole world out there that considers size change a narrative device, not an erotic stimulant.
Unread 04-09-2017   #6
Hugo Prosperio
Mansion Moderator

the story of this particular book sounds like a modern spin on Dr. Cyclops so I am kind of all about it to be honest.

My Gumroad
My Patreon

Featuring stories of Bodily Transformation and Wonder
Hugo Prosperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017   #7
RedJack
♠♣ Jack the Ripper ♦♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by scidram View Post
The book has no out-of-clothes shrinking. If there is any process, it's super quick. And the characters are bland, and the plot relies on too many coincidences. It doesn't read anywhere near as well as Crichton's other work, probably because it's mostly the other guy who wrote it.

Maybe the movie will be better, and I'll probably go see it, but the book is kinda lame.
Well that is a easy pass for me then... what a rip-off.
RedJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017   #8
vincent_richter
ミンナニ ナイショダヨ

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it actually were all Crichton, God rest his soul.
The man had some blockbusters, but he had some real crap, too.
He who goes up to bat, and all.
Unread 04-18-2017   #9
SDK
Frequent Poster

Ill likely check it out when its on makes it to TV, depending on how they cast as female shrinkees.
SDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2017   #10
shrinky428
Frequent Poster

Guys, go see this movie. Tell Hollywood that shrinking people movies can be profitable. It doesn't make sense to hold out until you get the exact specific thing you want. for 10 to 15 bucks, show your support for shrunken people movies, even if there's no shrinking-out-of-clothes.
shrinky428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2017   #11
RedJack
♠♣ Jack the Ripper ♦♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinky428 View Post
Guys, go see this movie. Tell Hollywood that shrinking people movies can be profitable. It doesn't make sense to hold out until you get the exact specific thing you want. for 10 to 15 bucks, show your support for shrunken people movies, even if there's no shrinking-out-of-clothes.
Nice thought, but the same can be said that Hollywood can just keep making the same crap. Fast and the Furious, Transformers, Resident Evil, etc... Just because it makes a profit, doesn't mean they will make it good.

I'm not wasting 10-15$ for a bad movie. They know this fetish is popular. (Unless they don't have internet...) As to why would they have Attack of the 50ft Woman (1993) and Monsters vs. Aliens have okay growth in them? The last being a kids movie so it was a little odd to see a woman almost grow out of her wedding dress

But anyways, they are just being lazy. If they even took time to search deviant art, here, or other sites, they could easily see it is popular. But I will give you some credit to what you said. We should show support to movies, however we should show support if there actually good. Not this mess of Movie Sequel 12, the final act! Next year, Movie Sequel 13, will be doing another one next year!! Yeah... that's getting old and don't ANYONE! Give me that crap of an excuse of, "Well if it makes them money..."

Because that's what it is, crap! This is why I don't go to the movie anymore as only one is ever good out of the 40 that are out. That is just sad. But I rest my point as this is getting too long, I've said my peace.

Last edited by RedJack; 05-10-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Wording mistake
RedJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2017   #12
Marauder727
Process Fan

Here's the problem folks...

We love to see process. We love to see people (usually lovely females) shrinking out of their clothes. Problem is this...that kind of thing automatically sends this into a serious PG-13 to an R rating according to the current standards. If the movie industry is going to make money on these kinds of things, they've got to be sure that their efforts are going to return big bucks.

Now I can say that seeing shrinking in a movie like the one suggested would be pretty cool, and if there's a good plotline to it, then it might be good. However, there is a fairly sizeable group of the population who would see shrinking and immediately chalk it up as a hokey gimmick that would ruin the story. I mean...how many movies have you seen that weren't relegated to B-movie status or less the moment something like shrinking or growing was involved?

Ant-Man (thank you Marvel comics) gave us the first good shrinking movie...but the shrinking wasn't the central plot of the movie. It was a tool used to make the plot move along. The movie was, essentially, a heist movie, and they were very careful about how shrinking was used.

Admittedly, every time you see a movie or a tv show involving shrinking (or growing), there's a part of the human psyche that goes, "Yeah, that's neat, but it isn't real." So unless there is a lot of other things going on that makes the story work, it loses credibility.

This story "Micro" sounds really good, but you're talking about process where they shrink out of their clothes (nudity issues there), surviving at such a small size (believability factor drops) and what they have to do in order to return to normal (believability factor drops even further). What's funny is that the same believability factor doesn't take as much of a drop when you're talking about gargantuan sentient robots (Transformers), or mystical, magical pirates (PoTC) or impossible stunts with cars (Fast & Furious), but the moment you mention shrinking...some people's eyes glaze over or they roll their eyes and think, "Oh God, not another Incredible Shrinking Woman movie. Puhlease."

Animated films have a little more leeway - Ferngully anyone? Or kid movies - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (still a great one)...but if you try it on the big screen in a major motion picture not relegated into those genres...forget it. *Sigh*
Marauder727 is offline   Reply With Quote