free hit counters
DC MIKIKO NOW AVAILABLE! Comments Please :) - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Shrinking Process

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 06-19-2008   #1
Jitensha
Sergio's little doll

DC MIKIKO NOW AVAILABLE! Comments Please :)

Hello Everyone! My new comic Doll Cosplayer Mikiko is now available!

You can buy it here for ONLY $5

http://www.process-productions.com/

All the money made off this comic goes towards my expensive move to Japan (so I can become a professional manga artist...well one day! I already have arrangements to do observational study, and eventually apprenticeship with professional manga artist! yay!)

It also goes to continuing DC Mikiko Lorekeep and I are eye-to-eye on a lot of ideas we want to do for these comics, so we definitely will be making more

Upcoming Mikiko issues!

Issue #2 Miki and Keiji on Vacation (Fun, fun time in a hotel room!)
Issue #3 Mikiko meets Keiji's Sister (Yes GTS fans I didn't forget about you ...but it's still SW...don't you count on SM...ever >_>)

Titles will probably be changed, but ideas are the same....

Anywho! Any comments would be much appreciated. The good, the bad and the ugly

Also, if any of you guys have scenarios you'd like to see Miki in, post it, and if we like them, we might consider them in future DC Mikiko issues

Just so that you are all aware, this first issue focuses a lot with process. The other comics will have a process element (of course) but will focus mostly now on the interaction between Miki and regular sized people :O

Last edited by Jitensha; 06-19-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Jitensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008   #2
Taruby
Self-Aware Machine

Re: DC MIKIKO NOW AVAILABLE! Comments Please :)

I'll be editing this post later.

My first criticism is the filesize... for a 20 page .pdf, the 60mb filesize is kind of extreme... I wonder what the resolution is...

あなたの好きな人はタルビ。幼馴染のタルビ。結婚するならタルビ。あなたの好きな人はタルビ、可愛い可愛い タルビ~・・・♪
あなたは、タルビと結婚する運命なの。タルビしかあなたの目には映らない。タルビは最高の人~ ・・・
タルビ、タルビをお願いします~・・・♪

Last edited by Taruby; 06-20-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Taruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008   #3
Jitensha
Sergio's little doll

That's cool, but for the record, I had no say over the file size XD Lorekeep has the same dpi and image size for each of his comics to assure the best quality :P Mine is just all in color, so it's a little heavier on the file size (^_^); we were both laughing about the 60mb last night...like O_O; wtf lol!..yeah didn't think it would be that big >_>;
Unread 06-20-2008   #4
Balls Montgomery
Ballsy Lurker

I think the third issue should be called Mikiko and the prisoner of Azkaban...

Just my opinion.
Balls Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008   #5
Balls Montgomery
Ballsy Lurker

In all seriousness, it was real good. Thumbs up!
Balls Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008   #6
LK
Process Disciple

We use uncompressed JPEGs at 8.5" x 11" x 300dpi. Print quality. I want to make sure you guys get the highest quality on these pieces. The work also has very complicated colors compared to previous Process Productions efforts. But if you know a good way to cut down on PDF file sizes without sacrificing quality, I'm all ears!
Unread 06-20-2008   #7
Jitensha
Sergio's little doll

Thanks, it makes me happy that you liked it (^_^)
Unread 06-20-2008   #8
Prof_Sai
Instigator

You can always improve .jpg by just throwing more pixels at it. If you upped the resolution to 600 dpi and used some mid-high quality setting, you'd still get a smaller file then 300 dpi raw, and it would look better on average then 300 dpi. (Which is totally excessive for reading on screen anyway.)
Prof_Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008   #9
Taruby
Self-Aware Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitensha View Post
That's cool, but for the record, I had no say over the file size XD Lorekeep has the same dpi and image size for each of his comics to assure the best quality :P Mine is just all in color, so it's a little heavier on the file size (^_^); we were both laughing about the 60mb last night...like O_O; wtf lol!..yeah didn't think it would be that big >_>;
Okay, so you're basically shifting the blame unto Lorekeep.

Anyway, I'm quite certain that there is a way for you to cut down the filesize to this comic significantly. Just to give you an idea, here's some other stuff I bought off the internet. The first one from Orange Peel is 350dpi and the one from Ningen Modoki is a 400dpi .pdf file.

Since the only time I mess with the file's dpi is through scanning and then shrinking it down for internet consumption, I feel that I'm not entitled to give any advice as far as .pdf files are concerned. But, looking at the cover page of Ningen Modoki's doujin, it's pretty apparent that you can do something with your work that will allow for a high quality file that doesn't take up an excessive amount of space.

I really hope I'm not raining on your parade with too many negative comments. Two things I would like you to focus on improving in the future is your hair highlights and pubic hair. Though, if all else fails, you can always make all of the characters shaved.

You do make very nice lineart, so there's nothing wrong there. So, perhaps you should browse the internet and find some digital colouring tutorials by professional illustrators. n_n;

Yes, I'm very spoiled, as can be detected from the quality of the things I purchased (e.g. the two works I posted below). Don't take what I say too seriously since there's not very many if any shrinking doujins of similar quality to your work and the fact that I don't think there's a substantial amount of people who post on this board who'll make it worthwhile to create something of a superbly high quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21 color.jpg (749.3 KB, 402 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01.pdf (1.44 MB, 119 views)

タルビ、タルビをお願いします~・・・♪
Unread 06-20-2008   #10
Jitensha
Sergio's little doll

It's okay (^_^) I wanted all comments good and bad. I will see what I can do with the hair...but remember adding more and more colors or details is going to push up the file size. I just liked to keep it simple...I guess its my style. About the pubes...it would just be too much of a time waster to draw in all those hairs. I've seen lots of manga that do it just as a undetailed hairy bush...so I was like...meh whatever. I tried what I could do within the time alloted to finish this comic. I made myself a deadline, and I was going to stick to it :P If they really do bother you though, I can see what I can do (^^);

Though technically I was hoping to get some response from readers on the story
We've already sold quite a few in just the first day...so I must be doing something right....but everyone just seems really shy (~_~); No one's posting (T_T)!

Last edited by LK; 06-21-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Unread 06-21-2008   #11
Taruby
Self-Aware Machine

Quote:
It's okay (^_^) I wanted all comments good and bad. I will see what I can do with the hair...but remember adding more and more colors or details is going to push up the file size. I just liked to keep it simple...I guess its my style.
About the amount of colours. It's not exactly the amount of different colours you use in the image that creates the insane filesize but the amount of useless colours. For example, I work with a .png file with just sixteen colours for most of the greyescale manga I work on. Within those sixteen colours, there are some that are so similar that the human eye really can't tell them apart. Deleting just one of the extra colours helps to shaves a bit off the filesize without any loss in the quality.

I think the situation with your extreme filesize might be similar. There's no reason to keep both FFFFFF and FEFEFE together in the same image. I don't know if you can reduce the filesize on this comic, but considering the filesize of the .pdf by Ningen Modoki I posted earlier which had a lot of colours as well, there might be something going on where you're saving a lot of information that should be gleamed away. I'm not experienced with this kind of thing though, so that's why I recommend examining how other professional colour illustrators create their high quality images with small filesizes.

Quote:
About the pubes...it would just be too much of a time waster to draw in all those hairs. I've seen lots of manga that do it just as a undetailed hairy bush...so I was like...meh whatever. I tried what I could do within the time alloted to finish this comic. I made myself a deadline, and I was going to stick to it :P If they really do bother you though, I can see what I can do (^^);

Though technically I was hoping to get some response from readers on the story
Have Mikiko shave Keiji's pubic hair and perhaps hold his dick for ransom afterward! I find the idea of smaller, weaker people having power over someone who is bigger and stronger to be more interesting than the typical strength-determined relationships I see. XD

タルビ、タルビをお願いします~・・・♪

Last edited by Taruby; 06-21-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Unread 06-21-2008   #12
Jitensha
Sergio's little doll

Hahaha....you might be surprised at the end of the next issue....but I didn't say anything O_O;

About the filesize....I'll just leave that up to Lorekeep >_>;