free hit counters
New Smash Bros! - Page 4 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > The Process General > General Discussion

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 07-05-2013   #37
Soccermom
Going against the flow

Re: New Smash Bros!

I know it sounds willfully ignorant, or perhaps even "reverse-pretentious," but I really dislike the tournament mentality of the game. No items, ~3 allowed stages, 90% of the players play on the "top 3" characters...

^^^ That isn't a fun game to me.
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013   #38
nightfieldzero
Frequent Poster

That is a big misconception.

Items are removed to avoid randomness..i'll explain when home.

Best thing about smash (IMO) Is that there are dozens of ways to play.

BTW it's not 3 stages allowed it's a bit more than that.
nightfieldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013   #39
Drybones
Watching Holo Sleep.

The smash bros competitive community is a joke. Full of boring people who use the most slimy tactics to win.

Just like competitive pokemon play. A bunch of people who use the same 6 pokemon. Cause screw using your favorites, in a game with over 600 characters...
Drybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013   #40
Keile
OMG OMG OMG I'M IN SPACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
I know it sounds willfully ignorant, or perhaps even "reverse-pretentious," but I really dislike the tournament mentality of the game. No items, ~3 allowed stages, 90% of the players play on the "top 3" characters...

^^^ That isn't a fun game to me.
Whenever someone starts to brag to me about "tiers" I challenge them to their usual tourney setup: Final Destination, no items (AKA: Boring).

They usually use Fox...since he is "Top Tier" Me? I pick something like Mario or Jigglypuff... (Medium tier characters) and when I kick their ass I remind them that:

Tiers are for queers.
Unread 07-05-2013   #41
Silver Spoon
Mostly gone

I stopped playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl online because every single damn level played online was Final Friggin' Destination, and half the time I'd see Fox or Meta Knight.

I like variety, thanks. That's why I play as a variety of characters (as in anyone but the Star Fox trio, Marth, or Meta Knight).
Silver Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013   #42
nightfieldzero
Frequent Poster

wow you guys are really wrong on a lot of it. I will show u when i get home
Unread 07-05-2013   #43
Soccermom
Going against the flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstrife View Post
That is a big misconception.

Items are removed to avoid randomness..i'll explain when home.

Best thing about smash (IMO) Is that there are dozens of ways to play.

BTW it's not 3 stages allowed it's a bit more than that.
It really isn't a "misconception." I suppose for a tournament setting, you have to neuter all of the fun of the game in order to even it out as much as possible, but I would think the ideal way to run tournaments to gauge skill would be:

Best 3 out of 5
Medium drop of items, all on(unless some are specifically agreed on to be excluded)
Random stages
And most importantly, randomized character. I want to see these "pro" players do as well playing Ganondorf as they do with Metaknight or Marth.
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013   #44
Drybones
Watching Holo Sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
It really isn't a "misconception." I suppose for a tournament setting, you have to neuter all of the fun of the game in order to even it out as much as possible, but I would think the ideal way to run tournaments to gauge skill would be:

Best 3 out of 5
Medium drop of items, all on(unless some are specifically agreed on to be excluded)
Random stages
And most importantly, randomized character. I want to see these "pro" players do as well playing Ganondorf as they do with Metaknight or Marth.
That's something I can get behind. The game was designed to have a level of randomness. If your too fucking scared to lose to a 6 yr old cause of randomness. Your probably not that good at the game anyway.
Drybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013   #45
Chaos Echo
Process Disciple

Well, try not to be going down the opposite path, guys. You may not find their method of play fun, but they tend not to find yours fun either. No one person's way of playing is the right one.

Me on DeviantART. I upload my stuff over there. Pretty much dead though.
Chaos Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013   #46
vincent_richter
ミンナニ ナイショダヨ

It makes sense, though. For tourneys, it's usually a good idea to limit random outcomes as much as possible. However, I'd still like to see "no favorites / enforced character randoms" to both increase originality and encourage tactical variations. I don't see any variation where "crouch and spam grenades" is a valid tournament strategy. Try that shit with Ike and just see what happens.
Unread 07-05-2013   #47
nightfieldzero
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
The smash bros competitive community is a joke. Full of boring people who use the most slimy tactics to win.

Just like competitive pokemon play. A bunch of people who use the same 6 pokemon. Cause screw using your favorites, in a game with over 600 characters...
The community is not a joke. A lot of people have worked hard to do what I do and I, personally, take that aspect as an insult.

At the same time I realize that the misconceptions are there. People do not use slimy tactics. They use strategies. There is a huge difference in how ANY game is played competitively (for seriouslies) vs. casually ( for funsies).

I think IMO that is what makes smash stand out from any other game. We can have something like this where you can have items and you cannot. It is a great thing.

Quote:
Whenever someone starts to brag to me about "tiers" I challenge them to their usual tourney setup: Final Destination, no items (AKA: Boring).

They usually use Fox...since he is "Top Tier" Me? I pick something like Mario or Jigglypuff... (Medium tier characters) and when I kick their ass I remind them that:

Tiers are for queers.
Depends on what game.

64 : Fox is a High tier ( Best 2 characters are Kirby / Pikachu )
Melee : Fox is a Top tier ( has bad match-ups vs Marth/Puff ( Who is actually top tier )/Falco/Sheik) Fox also can do bad vs mid tiers like Pikachu and C.Falcon, Mario, Doc, etc.
Brawl : Fox is mid tier. He has bad matches with MK ( top tier ) , Ice climbers, Olimar, Marth, Falco, GnW (IMO ), and DDD if I remember correctly.

Remember in any game play who you want. No one is telling you different. Our community THRIVES on character loyalty. Just understand that they might not have the tools to win a match items/no items.

Quote:
I stopped playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl online because every single damn level played online was Final Friggin' Destination, and half the time I'd see Fox or Meta Knight.

I like variety, thanks. That's why I play as a variety of characters (as in anyone but the Star Fox trio, Marth, or Meta Knight).
The online for brawl was designed poorly. A lot of lag and just doesn't live up to other games online play.

We use several stages which include:

Final Destination
Smashville
Lylat
Battlefield
Yoshi Island
Frigate
Halbred
Castle Seige
Delphino

That is just off the top fo my head.

TBH FD is a stage that is "neutral" in people's eyes ( tbh though battlefield imo is the best stage ).

Quote:

Best 3 out of 5
Random stages
This is a matter of opinion but I will explain our rules simply as

2 out of 3
no items
some stages are banned and some are legal.
You can pick character

Those are the rules we play by. This is because

- 3/5 takes too long. Average time for a match is 5-6 mins for any version of smash.

- Items are , based on the frame data and a lot of factors, "random". This basically means that it does not test the skill of the player but is considered just a chance. There are HOWEVER Item legal events as side events that people enter. Those are fun. But that is our logic. We want the PLAYER to win not the item or stage or whatever is not the two players.

- Forcing players to pick random is a side event we also do. In major events ( Apex 2012 and Apex 2013 for brawl had 1000+ people ) it would not be fair to force others to roll the dice (which is something i mention just above here)

Go to my thread where I list links to my events and youtube matches. You will find that we are a great community and we actually have a great time.

Apex 2013 winners were

64 - Japanese player that uses Kirby
Melee - Swedish player that uses Peach
Brawl - NJ player that uses ZERO Suit Samus.

Thanks for listening.
Unread 07-05-2013   #48
vincent_richter
ミンナニ ナイショダヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstrife
Forcing players to pick random is a side event we also do. In major events ( Apex 2012 and Apex 2013 for brawl had 1000+ people ) it would not be fair to force others to roll the dice (which is something i mention just above here)
IMO, it's beyond fair. I always burst out laughing when I see a veteran take down a novice, using (non-toon) Link and Olimar, respectively. Tiers can be broken if the player is skilled enough.