free hit counters
Movie Brain Storm - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 04-02-2017   #1
CantSaySeeSaw
Ezekial 23:20

Movie Brain Storm

There's been a lot of talk about making a TF movie-- and by talk, I mean mostly unnecessary and aggressive pessimism. I thought I'd make a thread where we can trouble-shoot techniques, crowd source skills, and talk about what we want to see in a movie. To avoid fighting, I'm going to request we delay talk about funding until we have more concrete plans in place. There are plenty of TF fans out there that might back this kind of thing, especially if we develop it as a community, instead of a studio looking to capitalize on what they don't understand. I'm willing to invest a few hundred dollars of my own money to see it get made. I'm not interested in making a profit. I just want to prove it can be done.

I'll do my best to guide the discussion. To get started, let's get a vote on animals. I have a preference for barnyard animals, but we should pick whatever pleases the most people. Let's also think about technique. Do we want to have props? (Magpie Bones is open for commission in two weeks, btw) Or is someone willing to volunteer CGI?

If you have a special skill, or are willing to open your house to strangers for filming, please speak up. I think our best bet is to develop the script and try different effects in this thread, then attempt to film the whole thing in a few days sometime in late summer or fall.

There is a ton to cover, so feel free to talk about whatever you want, I'm just offering suggestions to kick it off.
Unread 04-02-2017   #2
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Re: Movie Brain Storm

A cow transformation has potential. We could use a very simple premise: A woman enters a seemingly abandoned barn, and runs into a cow, who licks her hand (or something similar) which could act as a trigger. The next two minutes would depict her gradual transformation into another cow. Besides the physical details of her TF, subtler things could be done to visually show her mental degeneration, which you don't often see in mainstream transformations.

Alternatively, we could use the same scenario, except with anthro-cows instead of full-on cows. Something along the lines of this video, except with a little more effort put into the makeup/prosthetics, might be cool. (Warning: It's creepy as hell.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx-Ko8zWt8

Ducks are my second choice behind cows.

Just so you know: I'm only a writer, so all I could contribute to such a project would be a working script.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017   #3
Amahain
Process Master

I'll contribute my thoughts, at least.

Regarding species, I've noticed that there are two ends of a spectrum when it comes to TF preferences. People like myself prefer predatory, dangerous creatures while others seem to prefer TFs that put the TFee into positions of powerlessness (eg. domestic animals like cows). So to reach the broadest audience on this forum, I'd suggest an anthro cat TF since it caters a little bit to both fantasies.

As for technique, it really depends on what's feasible given the budget we're looking at. Ideally, I'd like to see Rick Baker style practical effects, but I suspect that's out of our price range. Maybe if we had some short, low-budget films to use as reference? Does anyone have a favourite low-budget TF film?
Unread 04-02-2017   #4
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahain View Post
As for technique, it really depends on what's feasible given the budget we're looking at. Ideally, I'd like to see Rick Baker style practical effects, but I suspect that's out of our price range. Maybe if we had some short, low-budget films to use as reference? Does anyone have a favourite low-budget TF film?
I think this is the one time where a low budget could be used to one's advantage. If we're looking at a human-to-animal transformation, old-school effects (practical prosthetics as opposed to morphing, etc.) could be more readily called into service than CGI. That being said, I'm not a fan of flesh-shredding/ripping. It's more often than not a cheap, dirty way to wrap up a transformation quickly, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeGJLryxruw

With time and patience, I'm sure a transformation that would have blasted away audiences in the '80's could be recreated on an independent budget, if we're only talking about a five-minute short where the emphasis would be on the transformation itself.
Unread 04-03-2017   #5
CNash
What would you rather be?

Just an aside, but I knew that video would be the TF from Cat People before I even clicked on it. Don't ask me how...

CNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017   #6
Journeymanic
Lurker

I'd actually like a slow burn tf where someone has to hide their changes in public. This could help with a small budget as you it forces you to imply changes after the fact without having to pass off a life like prosthetic all the time. It helps keep the illusion without the costs.
Journeymanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017   #7
CantSaySeeSaw

That's a good observation regarding the two TF camps. I'm in the camp that enjoys helpless TF, but it would be easier to get another actress willing to turn into a werewolf. As for low budget TF, I liked some of the effects posted in a thread right below this one. The shots in the mirror are what I had in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7nE862qkY

They way they did stop motion fur can be done better with a little more patient. I was thinking some sort of felt fabric that can be glued to the skin in increments, though I haven't found the right fabric yet when I went looking. I think something similar can be done with mane or tail growth. I'd like to eventually get ear/tail sets of a few different lengths, but unless we commission them, they're not going to look realistic. However, as long as we stick to the same colors and textures and get everything in the same universe, it should look polished.

For tail growth, a convincing effect is to hide it in your pants, then have something tied to the end that you can pull. I also thought maybe inflating a balloon covered in fur but I haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone have guesses about how they made the tail move in the love action version of Pinnochio? I don't think we're going to be able to make someone a full animal-- the transition is never convincing when you just swap a human in costime for the real thing. The way Missa ended her barn video with the girl 75% transformed with the rest of it implied is maybe the best bet.

Last edited by CantSaySeeSaw; 04-03-2017 at 06:38 AM.
CantSaySeeSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017   #8
CantSaySeeSaw

Species-- we could do multiple short clips instead of one long one. I'm thinking two or three minutes for a short clip and maybe seven to ten for a long. We could also have two people change at once. Maybe one could become a furry thing and the other some kind of hooved monster? That would be two tails, hooves and/or paws, potentially horns, teeth, and ears.
Unread 04-03-2017   #9
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSaySeeSaw View Post
I don't think we're going to be able to make someone a full animal-- the transition is never convincing when you just swap a human in costime for the real thing.
Another reason why I think some kind of anthro-variation of the animal would be a good compromise, with women turning into cow-women (or cat-women, or whatever).
Unread 04-03-2017   #10
CantSaySeeSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto View Post
Another reason why I think some kind of anthro-variation of the animal would be a good compromise, with women turning into cow-women (or cat-women, or whatever).
You were actually the reason I thought of it. It's a good point to make. That's the trouble with, for example, the That's So Raven cow TF. Still one of my favorites. I remember when they were playing trailers for it.
Unread 04-03-2017   #11
Decardo
Process Fan

It's worth considering using two actresses as well with a noticeable build/height difference as it will improve the final effect.
Decardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017   #12
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSaySeeSaw View Post
You were actually the reason I thought of it. It's a good point to make. That's the trouble with, for example, the That's So Raven cow TF. Still one of my favorites. I remember when they were playing trailers for it.
We could always do a more erotic, adult variation on that. One of the first TF commissions I ever paid for was "Helen & Cassie," from Arania. It's a little rough around the edges, but it gets the point across. I'd be totally down with a short film that has the same kind of narrative.

One of the most difficult aspects of this kind of transformation would be recreating the size and bulk difference in live action. Finding taller actresses/models to portray the transformed cow-women is one possibility. The weresheep monster from "Black Sheep" is a good example, although that's probably WAY beyond whatever budget we can come up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helencassiesm01.jpg (206.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm02.jpg (157.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm03.jpg (149.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm04.jpg (119.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm05.jpg (230.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm06.jpg (197.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm07.jpg (188.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm08.jpg (152.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm09.jpg (178.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg helencassiesm10.jpg (198.2 KB, 60 views)