free hit counters
Movie Brain Storm - Page 2 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 04-03-2017   #13
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

Re: Movie Brain Storm

Well, there are other ways you could imply transformation for relatively limited means - using the classic route - albeit with newer techniques. You could do time lapse - something like skin painting and then using CGI to add texture to it.

One concept I had for commissioning a poodle-girl tf (that never panned out) - was getting something like faux fur leg warmers (cheap), water-filled leg/wrist weights (cheap) - and then slowly filling/expanding them with a small hose (you might even look at something like using a static charge to make the hair stand up (looking like it's growing out). With certain close-ups and camera effects, probably very doable with a limited crew, etc.

By doing a closer-in view showing a sleeve pulling back, you could imply that the fur was growing out of the sleeve (I think TMC does some of these, but as their focus is more on the expansion, they don't put that much effort into it).

Something I'd really like would even be time-lapse claw growth by the application of various fake nails, etc (yes it takes time, but the overall effects would be dirt cheap and with the digital camera tech now I imagine it would be vastly less effort than 20+ years ago).

The choice of animal and TF, etc would be key from the get go (we all have our preferences, but for a first project, it might be good to use something with comparatively light CGI requirements (fur, etc)). A cow could be a good starter (or something else with smoother skin). Cow would also let you mess with horns, tail, ears, hooves, etc.

Similarly - do you want to tf the entire way (not generally my preference....I prefer the mostly female face and some female characteristics - maybe for reference/relational reasons...maybe something else) - or you get to a certain stage and then imply the more complicated tf (potentially less interesting?) the rest of the way.

I think the biggest thing would be to have a decent, focused crew who doesn't mind putting the hours in. Obviously post-production/digital work could be done anywhere but you'd need at least a handful of folks locally to work on things. But I'd recommend potentially following Peter Jackson's route with "Bad Taste", etc - work on your schedule on the weekends - even if it takes a few months or longer - to get it right and learn along the way. Don't drop everything and try doing it full time.

If you're really serious the biggest thing would be to get a script set in stone from the beginning. Decide exactly what you want to do and what you want to show - that would let you plan every shot out second by second (if necessary) - do certain parts first - send them to your tech/cgi guys early and they have all the time in the world to start messing around with stuff - then take your time with the stuff you want to do practically.

Donate to support an artist!
thrandrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017   #14
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrandrall View Post
Similarly - do you want to tf the entire way (not generally my preference....I prefer the mostly female face and some female characteristics - maybe for reference/relational reasons...maybe something else) - or you get to a certain stage and then imply the more complicated tf (potentially less interesting?) the rest of the way.
I think it's been agreed that turning the victim into a full-on cow isn't really an option. A slightly more detailed version of the TF seen in "That's So Raven" might be the most realistic choice, although personally I'd love to go for a humanoid cow-creature, i.e. a cow that's standing upright and still has vaguely human features from the neck down, but the head (aside from some blonde hair or whatnot) is wholly bovine. A cuter, less monstrous version of the were-sheep from "Black Sheep," basically. The brain would also shrink to appropriately cow-like proportions (one effect which could be rendered through CGI), only because I have a weird thing for lowering IQs.

But if we were to follow the Helen/Cassie premise I offered, the crew would have to build TWO cow-creature costumes (one for the original cow-creature who infects the victim, and another for the victim herself). That probably isn't realistic, either...but damn it would be awesome.

Your suggestion about dramatically cutting away from the TF at a pivotal moment is an interesting one. The audience would still get most of "the goods" (so to speak), but the filmmaker would also be able to cut a few corners budget-wise. Maybe about 80% into the TF, the heroine could watch in horror as a giant udder rips out from her pants, and then the scene could cut to the fully transformed, mentally degraded cow-woman emerging from the shadows with a soft "moo." Just tossing around ideas here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9a1bc9127822bc1651503cd43d196741.jpg (55.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Dr. Otto; 04-03-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017   #15
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

I hate to say it, but the sequence from TSR is still one of the better mainstream ones I've seen in some ways - particularly the "reveal" shots. Not necessarily showing the tail growth (hands to hooves just when they want to pick something up, etc), but the way they handle the "noticing" and reactions is well done - better than the average movie version IMO. Of course we'd want to go a lot more in depth re: horns, ears, udders, etc.

You wouldn't necessarily need a full creature for the "bite" though (unless you're tied to your first image set as a reference). And really...as much as I like Black Sheep, they did use a mini-puppet for the first monster. And when you're talking about a cow....why not something more milky related - introduction of chemicals, virus, etc.

Unread 04-03-2017   #16
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

The other option that allows a good combination of transformation and graphics - would be:

a. A shadow thrown on a wall - particularly if using a flickering light source like a candle/lantern.

b. Possibly shooting through dirty pane of glass/window or distorted glass shape/jar - depending on perspective.

You could start with certain elements, switch to something else (or possibly passage of time (sleep) + reveal), and then show a conventional transformation again. It would definitely be unique to mix up the types of visuals (maybe farming work out to different people with different skillsets and lessening the overall workload on individuals).

Unread 04-03-2017   #17
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrandrall View Post
You wouldn't necessarily need a full creature for the "bite" though (unless you're tied to your first image set as a reference). And really...as much as I like Black Sheep, they did use a mini-puppet for the first monster. And when you're talking about a cow....why not something more milky related - introduction of chemicals, virus, etc.
That would probably simplify things. She could drink a bottle of contaminated milk, or something. I love "contagious" TFs personally, but I know that's just a preference. The idea needs to be something we can all agree to support and possibly finance.

I could write a little "spec script" to see if the premise is somehow doable, and post it in this thread. I'd try to take everything into account in terms of what we can or can't do. It'll be hard, as I'm used to writing comic book-style scripts where the sky is the limit.

On the other hand, if we put together some kind of Kickstarter/GoFundMe campaign and we ended up earning a million dollars by some freakish stroke of luck...well, sometimes dreams do come true.
Unread 04-03-2017   #18
thrandrall
Chronicler of Dreams

Well, that's the other issue. Don't want to have design by committee either. You can put a script together but you've got to know where to put your foot down.

I enjoy brainstorming but I've got waaaaay too many irons in the fire (again :sigh with my art commissions (not to mention bills I procrastinate on) Maybe something I could support in the future (to a degree) - if some other things work out, but not necessarily in the "short" term.

I would aim for something no longer than 10-15 minutes for the first draft - excepting atmospheric non-tf character development. PM me if you want to discuss stuff more by email/chat/etc.

Unread 04-03-2017   #19
dorintf
Process Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto View Post
A cow transformation has potential. We could use a very simple premise: A woman enters a seemingly abandoned barn, and runs into a cow, who licks her hand (or something similar) which could act as a trigger. The next two minutes would depict her gradual transformation into another cow. Besides the physical details of her TF, subtler things could be done to visually show her mental degeneration, which you don't often see in mainstream transformations.

Alternatively, we could use the same scenario, except with anthro-cows instead of full-on cows. Something along the lines of this video, except with a little more effort put into the makeup/prosthetics, might be cool. (Warning: It's creepy as hell.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx-Ko8zWt8

Ducks are my second choice behind cows.

Just so you know: I'm only a writer, so all I could contribute to such a project would be a working script.
God, forgot about that clip. The sound they make is creepy and hilarious at the same time.

I dunno, a decent TF sequence would need a significant monetary investment. Something like GoFundMe could help with that, but people would want pictures of reference from someone that's good with special effects of this sort. Don't know if anybody around here can do something like that (although TFGhost does fan-fucking-tastic makeup effects).

As for the setting it would depend on the TF, I suppose. I have a few acres with forests and limestone rock if you were going for a cat/wolf TF type deal. For farmyard stuff, you'd probably need someone with a barn, or at least be able to get to an abandoned one without being murdered by hunters and/or psychotic rednecks ... hmm, suppose that was redundant.
dorintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2017   #20
Galyo
Process Fan

Just curious: is there supposed to be some sort of story to this, or is it just going to be a single TF?

I also think a project like this would have to settle on doing either practical or CG effects, and to be honest: both methods are extremely difficult. You would need either a seasoned make-up and / or creature designer, or a seasoned digital effects artists. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I love the enthusiasm and tenacity, but those are things to keep in mind. I'm thinking that when everyone has settled on working with either practical or CG effects (perhaps some of both), we can look for ways to research what we need to accomplish a TF.
Galyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2017   #21
thenewflash
Process Fan

A little thing I want to suggest is a revert tf. I feel like there aren't many movies out there that feature revert tfs. Usually or most of the time, they show the person transforming, but hardly revert. Usually they just show the person wake up naked the next time we see them, but don't see the process of revert.
thenewflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017   #22
BerryWhite
Looker

Sound effects are a big key for me, the TF doesn't have to be super detailed for me to get into if the sounds are well done.
BerryWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017   #23
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewflash View Post
A little thing I want to suggest is a revert tf. I feel like there aren't many movies out there that feature revert tfs. Usually or most of the time, they show the person transforming, but hardly revert. Usually they just show the person wake up naked the next time we see them, but don't see the process of revert.
I don't think seeing a creature/animal revert into a human has quite the same thrill to it. The whole process of watching a recognizable human being transform into the Other has an exotic edge that a reverse TF lacks. (Maybe that's one reason John Landis never bothered to show the werewolf turn back into a human in "AWiL.")
Unread 04-06-2017   #24
CantSaySeeSaw
Ezekial 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galyo View Post
Just curious: is there supposed to be some sort of story to this, or is it just going to be a single TF?

I also think a project like this would have to settle on doing either practical or CG effects, and to be honest: both methods are extremely difficult. You would need either a seasoned make-up and / or creature designer, or a seasoned digital effects artists. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I love the enthusiasm and tenacity, but those are things to keep in mind. I'm thinking that when everyone has settled on working with either practical or CG effects (perhaps some of both), we can look for ways to research what we need to accomplish a TF.
The interesting thing about TF is that you don't need to have it look real. Certain things are really easy to imply. Sound effects are a huge trigger for most people, and I know that shadows are enough for me a lot of the time, enough that I bought a light just to play by myself. I liked whoever said we could shoot through a dirty window-- or perhaps a shower door? Since we seem to have agreed upon a cow with little disagreement, we could maybe use a Skin Milk type product as a trigger.

There were also a ton of great suggestions for effects. Personally, I plan to tackle the growth element using Thrandrall's idea about water sacks. I think I can find some sort of plastic and seal it with something like Flex-seal or another type of rubber weld. My plan is to cut the shapes out and strap them to my legs underneath tights and see what happens. I'll post results, though I may be picking up a second job soon so please be patient.

I think anyone who wants to help with this project could start by experimenting with another effect. One thing I think would work (know would work, actually, because I saw another TF fan try it) would be purchasing rubber elf ears or some other prosthetic. I think if we had three or four sets of different sizes, we can fill in the blanks with CGI. I will not have time to play with it, but if someone can prove it can be done, we are one step closer.

Same goes for fur. I've played with gloves and glueing different swatches to my skin, but find one that looks like hide has proven elusive, though I've only looked in person and not online. Again, this is where we can experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

Someone just posted a hairy werewolf video that was corny but had an interesting transition in the mirror that felt chaotic and right.

I also think something similar to this might be perfect:
https://youtu.be/MW4o5_tg7Ys

If anyone wants to start brainstorming a script, that's another project that I can undertake but it will take me awhile to get to it. Hooves, perhaps using Destier's model, would also be helpful. It's a lot of work, but not if everyone takes on a bit of it.

If some of this gets done, I'd say we've got a scrappy start to something.