free hit counters
Legacy of a Classic? - The Fandom of Dr. J and Ms. H - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transgender Process (M2F / F2M)

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 05-29-2013   #1
Alchemical Night
Watcher

Question Legacy of a Classic? - The Fandom of Dr. J and Ms. H

Hi there,

Before I start in explanation of the somewhat oblique title, I will say, in hope of precluding a roll of the eyes, frustration or worse, that this post does involve the appearance again of a personal subject of interest - that being the TG and community classic of "Dr. Jekyll & Ms. Hyde".

Though some will certainly attest that this is perhaps too familiar territory with me, I hope that the subject I raise will stir curiosity amongst some of those here .

The subject considered here is not perhaps the movie itself, but rather its indelible impact upon the community here on the Process; particularly with those so interested in gender and likewise related process. Though this movie is certainly a classic in our own respect, it has occurred to me that even if the theme of gender bending J and H, or exploring gender transformation more generally is quite popular, the continuity seen in this movie has not been more widely taken forward in debate.

For example, have we ever, perhaps whimsically, considered a sequel and what it would be like with a more contemporary Dr. Richard Jacks and Ms. Helen Hyde, or maybe with a new character taking the formula on this occasion to remarkable effect? Perhaps penning a sequel might be a interesting subject - as I will confess to have mused upon last year, myself.

In all, I would be intrigued to hear the forum and community's perspective on the fandom, as it is, of the classic movie and if it has ever been more or less active to some creative end.

Thanks,

Alchemical Night.
Alchemical Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013   #2
Rei-Lin
Process Master

Re: Legacy of a Classic? - The Fandom of Dr. J and Ms. H

I did like the movie and I do like the idea that instead of just turning into an ugly guy that likes killing people, he turned into a hot woman who wanted to take him over and become a person to herself. My biggest problem with all of these Hyde type movies, comics, ideas is that they ALL and even my favorite's from Sephzero for example, are evil/twisted/morbid/completely opposites of the Jekyll. The ONLY Hyde I've ever seen where Jekyll and Hyde were separate minds but worked together as good guys was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I mean I understand the original idea was that Jekyll was trying to get rid of his guilt and have a life that wasn't weighted down by the normal bad things in life, to sort of be free of himself and that it backfired and made another personality. What bothers me about all of it is that to me, even a multiple personality would eventually come to terms with each of the personalities and work things out to become one again rather than running from each other. It's why I think creatures that are usually portrayed as monsters (Vampires, Demons, Werewolves, etc) would eventually produce one or two that were really good and determined to help people and save lives.

Anyway, that's my personal idea of the ideas behind Jekyll and Hyde. I guess what I'd love to see is to have his young son take the formula and turn into a really hot woman that has to deal with all the emotions that come with it (and relationship troubles). But in the end, the two personalities come to terms with each other, him becoming less of a jerk, or afraid of relationship, etc, the Hyde becoming a bit more like him and having real fears and understanding of the feelings of others (not such an outgoing to the point of hurting other's type). I dunno, I like having happy endings sometimes I guess!

Last edited by Rei-Lin; 05-29-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Rei-Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013   #3
Snowglare
Process Master

If Dr. Jacks had a child shortly after the events of the movie, that child would now be 18. Good timing, sequel that exists only in our collective imaginations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei-Lin View Post
The ONLY Hyde I've ever seen where Jekyll and Hyde were separate minds but worked together as good guys was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
The movie version? I guess they did, but only because the characters in that were all two-dimensional at best. I don't remember anything about that Hyde other than his transformation. In the vastly superior comic, Jekyll and Hyde are a more traditional take. I think that version had the whole "Jekyll shrinks away as Hyde grows ever larger and more in control" bent that crops up from time to time. Hyde was a brute through and through, though he managed some heroic feats in his way.

Quote:
Anyway, that's my personal idea of the ideas behind Jekyll and Hyde. I guess what I'd love to see is to have his young son take the formula and turn into a really hot woman that has to deal with all the emotions that come with it (and relationship troubles). But in the end, the two personalities come to terms with each other, him becoming less of a jerk, or afraid of relationship, etc, the Hyde becoming a bit more like him and having real fears and understanding of the feelings of others (not such an outgoing to the point of hurting other's type). I dunno, I like having happy endings sometimes I guess!
Sounds like the plot to The Nutty Professor. I like happy endings, too, but not all the time. Werewolves and Hydes and such shouldn't be regular people who adjust to a new status quo and fit back into society. It can work in the occasional story (Teen Wolf), especially if played for laughs, but there's no reason you should see a monster and believe you can befriend him.
Snowglare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013   #4
Rei-Lin
Process Master

Well in the movie version of League, Hyde was a monster, really big, all scary and sort of deformed, but by the end he had done good things and saved a lot of lives (like when the Nautilus was sinking) and even Jekyll told him he did well, so their relationship wasn't so much one of rage or insecurity between the two, but as equals that learned something from each other and came to terms with each other's strengths and weaknesses and learned to live together, at least that's how I took it. I never read the book so I can't say how that went.

As for monsters and befriending, that's not really how I meant it really. I have a werewolf character that learns to control her lycanthropy but it takes her many years and the whole time she's mentally struggling with this other being the lives inside her, as much a monster as a young baby. But because of what humans know or are told, the perspective is Werewolf=Evil. I make it a semi religious/mental struggle not really as one trying to overpower the other, but each trying to come to an equality about the other, until they're equal.

You could think of it as Goten and Trunks from DragonBall Z having to get their power levels equal so they could fuse together into Gotenks. Sorry to mention DBZ, but that's the first thing that popped into my warped head!
Unread 05-31-2013   #5
ZemusTheMetroid
Wanna-be Space Marine

Quote:
You could think of it as Goten and Trunks from DragonBall Z having to get their power levels equal so they could fuse together into Gotenks. Sorry to mention DBZ, but that's the first thing that popped into my warped head!
See, now I'm imagining a person and a wolf doing the fusion dance to become a werewolf.
Unread 05-31-2013   #6
Rei-Lin
Process Master

*rubs hands together with an evil laugh* Good, Good.
Unread 06-01-2013   #7
cheergurl911hot
Hiding from the world

Could be very interesting if in a sequel/spiritual sequel that it's Dr. (female) Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. I'm sure that's been done, somewhere.
cheergurl911hot is offline   Reply With Quote