free hit counters
The Process Interviews Miss Arania! - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > And Everything Else...

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 01-16-2014   #1
Vengeance1701
Modest Moderator

The Process Interviews Miss Arania!

1) How long have you been doing transformation art?

Well, I’ve had an internet presence doing transformation artwork since 2003. However, It’s always been a subject I’ve been interested in, and something I used to doodle even on like the margins of my notes in high school or make very rudimentary sequences way back in the day. They didn’t take an adult bent until much later, however

2) What got you interested in transformations in the first place? Is this something you picked up as a kid or something that developed later (well, the sexual parts obviously would be later....I think...unless you were VERY precocious!:P)

It is something I picked up as a kid – at least in the more basic interest in the idea of transformation. I think Pinocchio was probably the original source – I know the Donkey scene left an impression and I used to make construction paper “costumes” based on donkey ears/hooves/etc when I was really young. I also used to go to the library when I was a little girl and ask for books about “people turning into things”. I wasn’t very precocious when it comes to the adult stuff – ironically I was actually a pretty late bloomer when it comes to that and it wasn’t until I was in college that I ever drew anything with even nudity.

3) Being a girl is somewhat unusual 'around these parts'. Have you found the going rough at all being a lady in largely a male-dominated fetish?

Honestly, not really. Most people have been really nice. I know that there are at least a few other female TF artists out there and I think that in the art community you find a larger proportion of females than in the fanbase as a whole, but that might just be my own misinterpretation or maybe female viewers don’t speak up as much – who knows X3. Anyway, I don’t think it’s been weird or rough because of my gender – though I have wondered if people ever don’t believe I’m really a female.

4) Further, as a girl, do you have an opinion on certain subsets of the various transformation categories saying that there's a rape problem?

That might be tied to there being a strong connection between TF art and adult work, and then anything with the unwilling side of TF can have kind of rapey vibes. There’s a thin line sometimes between rape fantasy / “anime rape” and things with a truly malevolent overtone. It’s difficult to make a hard rule about that when it comes to what I will/won’t do, but I will speak up if there are themes in a commission I don’t feel comfortable personally portraying.

That being said, I think unwilling transformations have some themes that I personally like – the fighting the feelings of lust and being overcome by it – wanting something despite knowing the negative repercussions are interesting themes. And I think transformation as a whole has a lot of analogy for the feelings of lust and the “animal inside” being set free – put in a very literal term.

5) You've sometimes come under criticism for your art. How do you feel when somebody claims your art never improves, etc, etc? In general, how do you deal with critics?

Most critics don’t talk to me face to face/email me directly but will post elsewhere. A good part of me avoids some of the message boards as a whole because I don’t like drama and negativity. It’s a niche enough community as it is and I think people should be supportive of each other.

As far as improvement, I do strive to improve my work on anatomy, colors, etc etc etc. It feels good to look back on some of my older work and see changes in my style and human anatomy, etc over the years. I think everyone learns and develops at different rates artistically, and I Do try.

6) As a follow-up to that.... do you work to improve or do you feel you've already hit the top?

I certainly don’t feel like I’ve hit the top. I watch a lot of artists on FA, Deviantart, etc and am amazed by what other artists can do – their styles, etc. I find it fascinating ho you will have almost as many different art processes with how artists color/etc as you do artists. I strive to learn and experiment and improve. I don’t always have the time to take a step away from my work and try some outside-the-box challenges, but it’s something I want to make the time to do. But I’m almost constantly drawing, and certainly want to improve :3

7) Awhile ago (when I had more free time than I generally do now) we talked and I asked if you draw whatever people commission you to or if you are genuinely interested in all the things you draw. You said that you're happy to make whatever the commissioner wants come to life...or something to that effect Does this still hold true?

99% of the art I do is commission-based. However, I’ve always been interested in transformations and transformation art, so I’m lucky to have fallen into the niche in the online community to be able to do so much commissionwork that is TF based. However, I certainly am open to doing other work (and I find depicting other subjects interesting, too, granted ^^. ) Not every commission is “my bag” – and I’ve done a number of things that aren’t really my personal tastes when it comes to specifics/subjects/species, but as long as it doesn’t cross a “will not do” line then I don’t turn down the commission. Ultimately, I like making my commissioners happy, even if the particular subject matter isn’t my favorite – and I like being able to have such a wide variety of subjects and themes within the TF genre on my site. And also, I currently am doing this as a full time job, and would love to continue to do so - so that means doing a lot of art!

8) Somewhat related: have you ever had formal art training? Would you want to?

I took art classes through high school, but my major in college was completely unrelated (I got my master’s degree in Anthropology). That does tangentially relate in so far I took physical anthropology classes and studied anatomy and human evolution (looking at cognates of musculature and skeletal structures between humans and other species), but most of my art is self-taught.

I don’t regret not going to art school – I would have been so far in debt for college bills if so – but I would be interested in taking some figure drawing/etc classes if the opportunity presented itself. Back in the (tiny) city I used to live in a few years ago, they had had some extra-curricular community classes available that I tried to sign up for, but they never had enough signups for the class to make. I should look into it again now that I’ve moved.

9) Have you ever drawn something you really didn't want to draw?

If there is anything that truly crosses my line (underage characters, bathroom subjects, etc) then I politely tell the commissioner that it’s not a subject I’m comfortable depicting. I don’t judge, and in general, I don’t mind people asking if something isn’t well defined on my page if they’re not sure.

I don’t want to point fingers at specific commissions, but there have been some scenarios I really didn’t care for personally, but wasn’t offended by per se.

10) Finally, a question I like to ask the lady contributors.... what is your view on real world transformation? IE: plastic surgery and the like? Is that something for you or t'hell no?

I dunno – it’s not something I’ve done personally (I’m kind of boring I guess – I don’t even have a tattoo), and haven’t done anything more permanent than dying my hair. I think it’s fascinating when people do it – particularly more extreme body modifications. I’ve toyed with the idea of things like tooth caps or pointy ear modifications but doubt I’d have the guts to actually go through and make a permanent change like that. I mean, I don’t work somewhere where that would be an issue . I DO love costuming, even though I don’t do it as much any more and have a nice set of dental cap fangs that were custom made and some latex pointed ears, yellow contacts, etc that I love to wear around Halloween / Renaissance Festivals.
Unread 01-16-2014   #2
spathicblond
Frequent Poster

Re: The Process Interviews Miss Arania!

No link to find out more about Miss Arania?
spathicblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014   #3
Vengeance1701
Modest Moderator

http://arania.kamiki.net
Unread 01-21-2014   #4
NMe
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spathicblond View Post
No link to find out more about Miss Arania?
You mean to say you've been into this kind of thing at least since 2006 and managed to never run across her art? Wow.

Nice thread. She's awesome. When the end of the month is close I check her site daily just in case her update is early. Heck, I even made a script to check if there are new files in the open dir and if so, download them...just in case she has uploaded the new artwork but not posted it yet. I also do not agree with people claiming her art never improves. Her art was pretty good to begin with but the more recent it is, the more detail seems to have been put into it.
NMe is offline   Reply With Quote