free hit counters
Kickstarter-funded TF/TG movies - Page 2 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transgender Process (M2F / F2M)

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 02-26-2017   #13
EduartBoudewijn
Tf artist

Re: Kickstarter-funded TF/TG movies

Apologies if it came across that way; I didn't feel like I was making any assumptions, I was just giving my two cents on the question you asked:

Quote:
Lately, I've been wondering whether it's possible to put together an entire feature film budget from online donations by the TF community. If not a 90-minute movie, then perhaps a half-hour video/film with halfway decent actors and special effects?
You asked if it would be possible to put together "an entire feature film budget" and to that my answer is no. I don't have much to make any assumptions from, since I don't have any info on you or what you do besides from what you've put in this topic.

I do think you're acting a bit defensively to everyone so far in this topic. So far people have just tried to help you and give advice. No one has called you any names or actively tried to belittle you. Please return us the favor by not acting like we're attacking you personally.
EduartBoudewijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2017   #14
Obsidian
Process Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coomanfu
Is this forum about just being pricks to one another and manga scans now? Because that's what this shit looks like these days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto View Post
It doesn't seem that way to me (unless you've been visiting the "Politics" thread).
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamseercoltz
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying film-making; GOOD film-making, is a LOT of work. The only person I know with the drive to do so thus far is Ms Mako. There have been others from the community, but they are clearly not theater-ready. Professionally lit, acted, edited, directed, etc.. It's a lot of stuff, and more work than you can imagine. S'all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Otto
Please don't treat me like a naive fool. I'm well aware of all the stark realities involved with making a film, even a 5-minute film. I've already completed several short movies in the past, so I can't say I appreciate the blithe assumption that I'm a lazy novice (even if you didn't intend to come across that way).
The only one acting like a prick in this thread is you, Doc, given that no one has attacked you in any way, or even inferred that you're a "naive fool". You're the one seeing insults to your intelligence where none exist, and habitually responding with a highly indignant and defensive response to folks simply pointing out the difficulty of accomplishing what you're proposing. You seem to do this a lot, actually, whether you're in the "Politics" thread (where such behavior is 100% acceptable), or in any other thread (where such behavior is NOT 100% acceptable).

If you want input on an idea, great! That's part of why this forum exists. But stop acting like people are attacking you or questioning your "film experience" whenever they're simply pointing out realistic obstacles.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2017   #15
danielsangeo
Process Moderator

ANYWAY....

To bring it back to the topic at hand, I think that such a crowdfunded campaign of a TF/TG movie with practical effects could work only if the potential filmmakers already have a "portfolio" of past works to show.

If you're asking people to throw money at a project wherein there is no résumé to look at, you're going to have a bad time.

In other words, if you can't show that you can already do it, you won't get the money to do it. Rick Baker didn't start out making "An American Werewolf in London". He started out making effects like this.

You need work under your belt before you can ask the public for funding. Are there any filmmakers with an established body of work that have expressed a desire to make a TF/TG movie (or even short) with practical effects?

Tell me, where in the world is Daniel Sandiego?
danielsangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2017   #16
Jimbo
Selfish lurker TF artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsangeo View Post
ANYWAY....

In other words, if you can't show that you can already do it, you won't get the money to do it. Rick Baker didn't start out making "An American Werewolf in London". He started out making effects like this.

You need work under your belt before you can ask the public for funding. Are there any filmmakers with an established body of work that have expressed a desire to make a TF/TG movie (or even short) with practical effects?
same deal with Rob Bottin, Stan Winston and a whole host of others they all worked low budget things to before becoming giants of their time.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2017   #17
danielsangeo
Process Moderator

Agreed. Now, if you said that you had someone like Rob Bottin on board with making your TG/TF movie or short, and could show that, I think a crowdfunding campaign for such a movie or short would work spectacularly.

However, if you don't have anything to show the funders (which are essentially investors), you might get one or two donations and that's it.

Tell me, where in the world is Daniel Sandiego?
danielsangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2017   #18
LK
Process Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamseercoltz View Post
Also, I'd suggest IndieGoGo over Kickstarter. That way you don't need to reach a goal to keep the money.
That will ONLY end poorly for what is being proposed.

Proof of concept is a minimum before you even move forward with the Asking for Money phase, whether crowdfunding or not. I can't believe this isn't blatantly obvious, but building hype before you even have a working prototype is all the rage. Nobody wants to throw money at VISION (tm).

All this thread has produced so far is a "Wouldn't it be nice?" circlejerk. You have witnessed a lot of false promises banking on the dreams of others, haven't you? The cynicism is understandable.

Last edited by LK; 02-26-2017 at 06:41 PM.
LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2017   #19
Immortal1982
Process Fan

Keep could be nicer about it, but he has the point. With nothing to show from the beginning, nobody will or should fund a project. And honestly, I would be sceptical about anything until proven otherwise.
Immortal1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2017   #20
Dr. Otto
AKA Sister Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1982 View Post
Keep could be nicer about it, but he has the point.
Absolutely. The problem is, I'm not particularly interested in hearing it. For one reason or another, this thread has suddenly overflowed with people who seem hellbent on reminding me about the big scary ogre called "reality," even though I'd argue their own perception of reality is questionable.

Their cumulative message basically boils down to, "You're gonna get your ass kicked." Guys, believe me, you're preaching to the choir here. As someone who's had his ass kicked repeatedly by life, I've grown numb to the pain. What I'm hoping to do is build up my credentials in the industry elsewhere, so when I DO launch a project like this on Kickstarter or IndieGoGo or wherever, more folks will be ready to offer their hard-earned bread. It'll be a slow, agonizing process, but I'll do what it takes to get there.

But hey, thanks for showing me I probably shouldn't look for potential investors here. Few people are less miserly than a bunch of "realistic" assholes.
Dr. Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2017   #21
LK
Process Disciple

When that slow, agonizing process produces something worth giving a damn about, feel free to come back here and share that.

There are things to be hopeful about. You take it as an insult that you're getting the response you are when the fucking ludicrousness of your opening post set the tone.

When did the topic shift from the general idea of crowdfunding projects for TG/TF aims to you? Oh, that's right, when you did that because you heard something discouraging to your plans. This whole fucking post wasn't about discussion, it was fishing for encouragement because you had doubts, ya?

And you fucks wonder why I get this way when someone is this disingenuous about their intent and motivations?
Unread 02-27-2017   #22
EduartBoudewijn
Tf artist

*mic drop*

Pretty much the only thing to add at this point.
EduartBoudewijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2017   #23
tgfreak123
a storeroom

Anyone wants fish n' chips? because this thread is full of salt...
tgfreak123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2017   #24
coomanfu
Process Fan

Get a phone start shooting. Get a camera start shooting. Make content. Make a Patreon, like, I dunno: https://www.patreon.com/Coomanfu. Fill it with content. Quit talking about the hard life of a struggling artist, and make stuff people would want to buy.

Maybe don't take a snotty tone to people you want to give you money.

If trends continue, I'll afford a nice camera and edit bay in only 119 years! (in actuality, working towards getting my own equipment in my own way through hard work of other ways.)

No one *actually* gives a shit about the hard life struggles of the artiste, because all of humanity is struggling. No one wants to hear you whine about having to get a 'real job,' because we all have to work 'real jobs' to pay the rent. Maybe you'll luck out and not have to, maybe not. But the only way that happens is if you make work that makes money so you can quit your day job.

Other people make it work, so make it work. Accomplish things with what you got.

Last edited by coomanfu; 02-28-2017 at 04:55 AM.
coomanfu is offline   Reply With Quote